D2TM - Team!

stefanhendriks

For a very long time, DUNE 2 - The Maker was a project that i did completely alone. Although there was support indirectly, ie, using the XCC mixer and seeing other clones + talking to Neonext and Tony D (via these forums), it was never a project that had a 'team' behind it.

Actually since version 0.92 , the new released demo to public, things got roling when Vidiware suggested his help on the gfx. Even before that Timenn mentioned that idea, but back then i did not really like it. It had various reasons, but now, i am totally anxious to see this new D2TM grow as big as i have it in mind.

Nowadays, i can already say D2TM is having direct support by:

Timenn

Vidiware

Nema Fakei

Mr Flibble

I've never had such a great support, with such continiouty. Though i never formaly said this, i would like to form a TEAM. But i do not want this to be a closed development. So therefor i'd like to invite as many people, like it has been done before, to react, post ideas, be creative. I will post my idea soon.

The members above named, i'd like to ask if they would reply to this if they want to agree with this or not. I can't possibly assemble a team without people 'knowing' about that themselves, or even agreeing about it.

Do note that this 'team' is not as strict as you usually see with people doing suddendly a very serious game. It is not appropiate to demand people to spend x, or y amount of time on this project. It should solely come from their own initiative, which i like very much. Keep your pace, and keep in touch. There is plenty of time in the world.

Oh, there is a possible 5th member coming up who sent a PM to me. It is actually very simple to get in the 'team'. The only requirements are:

- you're an addition to the team.

More people doing the same job is handy to a limited number. Its not handy to have 20 people doing gfx for example.

- you can handle feedback, positive and negative. Negative feedback mostly is formed in 'perhaps its an idea to do it like this..' . Multiple ways should be known before one can select the best path right? Also, do never forget that everybody (including me!) is spending their time on this project for a hobby, for fun, for dune. It is NOT the intention to scare people away

- you keep in touch

people who suddendly dissapear are not handy to work for in a team. In the end, whenever a version will be released, at that moment the list of credits will be made. Credits is always due where it is due, but people sending me one example of a unit and then leave have a lower chance of getting anything done here.

- you understand that this progress goes 'slow', since its all on a basis of 'free will'.

Do note, i do like to keep people informed, via this forum.

- A 'pre' is when you are able to be reached through MSN, which i use for D2TM development. I found it very handy to chat with Vidiware/Nema about stuff, showing pictures. Ie, Nema sent some tileset to me, i sent back a picture how it looked in the new version, based uppon that he decided to redo the tileset and that version is now in and looks like a charm!

mostly of all:

- you are inspired, enthousiastic, willing to spend time on it!!

If you don't want to work in the team, but still want to help us out... well, dont hasitate! Post, bring comments! etc etc.

-------------------------

Game play idea for D2TM

-------------------------

I've had a short conversation with Timenn about this. Its about the gameplay in D2TM. He asked if the original DUNE 2 missions are in D2TM. Ofcourse! However, i do want to be original in D2TM. I have seen Dune Legacy and its a good clone. Actually that is the problem i also see coming when D2TM reaches a final version (ie, 0.92 was very close, 0.95 even closer...)... its getting boring too fast!

How to spicen up the gameplay? When you start up the game, you have basicly 2 options:

- Play an original DUNE 2 game

- Play D2TM

When you choose to play the 'original dune 2 game'. You should actually get the same options as in D2TM now:

- Single mission

- Campaign

- Skirmish

This story is known, how the campaigns are filled in. Depending on time and dedication we can make this big. For instance, when you start the campaign you see the starting intro of dune 2, telling THAT story.

However, when you choose D2TM mode. You will immidiatly get into an intro. An intro telling a new story. Basicly the same story ofcourse, fighting for dune. The parties in that game should be as wide as you can imagine. I have found 6 different color palettes , also a grey one, that *could* make 7 and perhaps with some research i can make 20 different sides. Anyway: The game starts immidiatly and you should select your house.

After that, the world-map (of dune 2, which we all know) turns up and you will be asked WHERE you want to start your battle for dune. You do NOT know where the enemies start. Now, you will basicly build your base, and while you are playing the game you should meet some requirements in order to conquer the area:

- it should be free from enemy units/buildings (obviously)

- you should have a working economy in order to 'let the spice flow' (ie, the amount of credits in that game should reach 10.000 or 20.000)

Ofcourse, these requirements sound simple. But there is the 'on-line mentat' you have seen in the early shots of the new D2TM. This person will keep you informed about all other activities on the planet. You should be able to jump to other regions. I am not sure how i will deal on this technically yet, since time moves on and i have to figure a way out to 'predict' a time pattern so the areas keep on 'living'.

Activities you can think off:

- sand storm damaged a base at sector X, needs repair. AI could decide to send large force to attack that base

- AI attacks area X or Y

- YOU attack area X or Y with 'army consisting of an MCV + x amount of units' (which you have to build yourself in order to attack that region. Plus the region you want to attack must be a neighbour).

- The emperor asks for a specific amount of spice and gives you a set of troopers

- etc

Depending on the imagination we can build anything we like. The coolest thing would be when the AI and the game itself will be smart enough that it will be able to create a 'new game adventure' all the time when playing. That means there oughta be a lot things to play with in order to keep the game interesting.

I have had a long way of typing. And i'll await any response ;)

Cool ideas!

I'll join the D2TM Team. And I'll be glad to help you with the developing of D2TM.

Edit:

Forgot to say that I'm a GFX guy (2D Artist, if you want the nice name) :P

I'll try to learn some music production (by myself) this year, so if I ever start, there is a small chance that I can make some Dune 2 remixes or maybe some new music (depends on what the rest of the teamn/the fans want).

I'm in.

How to spicen up the gameplay? When you start up the game, you have basicly 2 options:

- Play an original DUNE 2 game

- Play D2TM

When you choose to play the 'original dune 2 game'. You should actually get the same options as in D2TM now:

- Single mission

- Campaign

- Skirmish

Single missions will be the loose ones, not in any campaign. Except when you picked the "original dune 2 game" option, then  you will be able to play the campaign missions individually, but only of those you have gotten to in the campaign game?

This story is known, how the campaigns are filled in. Depending on time and dedication we can make this big. For instance, when you start the campaign you see the starting intro of dune 2, telling THAT story.

However, when you choose D2TM mode. You will immidiatly get into an intro. An intro telling a new story. Basicly the same story ofcourse, fighting for dune. The parties in that game should be as wide as you can imagine. I have found 6 different color palettes , also a grey one, that *could* make 7 and perhaps with some research i can make 20 different sides. Anyway: The game starts immidiatly and you should select your house.

After that, the world-map (of dune 2, which we all know) turns up and you will be asked WHERE you want to start your battle for dune. You do NOT know where the enemies start. Now, you will basicly build your base, and while you are playing the game you should meet some requirements in order to conquer the area:

- it should be free from enemy units/buildings (obviously)

- you should have a working economy in order to 'let the spice flow' (ie, the amount of credits in that game should reach 10.000 or 20.000)

Ofcourse, these requirements sound simple. But there is the 'on-line mentat' you have seen in the early shots of the new D2TM. This person will keep you informed about all other activities on the planet. You should be able to jump to other regions. I am not sure how i will deal on this technically yet, since time moves on and i have to figure a way out to 'predict' a time pattern so the areas keep on 'living'.

Activities you can think off:

- sand storm damaged a base at sector X, needs repair. AI could decide to send large force to attack that base

- AI attacks area X or Y

- YOU attack area X or Y with 'army consisting of an MCV + x amount of units' (which you have to build yourself in order to attack that region. Plus the region you want to attack must be a neighbour).

- The emperor asks for a specific amount of spice and gives you a set of troopers

- etc

Depending on the imagination we can build anything we like. The coolest thing would be when the AI and the game itself will be smart enough that it will be able to create a 'new game adventure' all the time when playing. That means there oughta be a lot things to play with in order to keep the game interesting.

Certainly a big project that it will be, but it seems fun! One thing about it, I think that when you are in area doing your mission, you shouldn't be bothered by what happens in all the other regions, so you don't have to jump from region to region every time. What you can have is, ofcourse, a timer in your mission.

This would probably be the main D2TM campaign? But for now you haven't included the option yet for other new campaigns (since you get an intro when selecting the D2TM game mode option, instead of when starting the campaign itself, or am I wrong?)

Such a campaign would also need an advanced campaign scripting language (or you want to hardcode it) And must probably be merged with the individual map scripting language. May I try such a thing?

Happy to help.

For more general information (Stefan already knows what I'm doing) I do graphics and I've been working on fonts: I've refined a few structures and most of the units to 32 by 32 so far, and I've made the Arrakeen bitmap font (the standard one based on the DII intro); I have a bitmap font 'Bene Gesserit' replicating the script font on buttons, and I'm working on a ttf version of the Arrakeen font. I can try my hand at music if needed, too.

At night i suddendly woke up... but there is a big need for probably Dune 1 characters too. For the D2TM game, if yo uwant to have contact with characters, it would be nice to see some gfx of them too. So, like the fremen, etc. I don't know if its possible. I do not own DUNE 1 (Cryo right?). I don't even know if its possible to get gfx from it...

At night i suddendly woke up... but there is a big need for probably Dune 1 characters too. For the D2TM game, if yo uwant to have contact with characters, it would be nice to see some gfx of them too. So, like the fremen, etc. I don't know if its possible. I do not own DUNE 1 (Cryo right?). I don't even know if its possible to get gfx from it...

Good Idea...

I'll see if it's possible to extract the pictures in a easy way. Maybe we could ask Olaf van der Spek for some help. He's probably the best guy at data extracting (XCC Utilities).

I'm in! I totally agree with what you've said, Stefan.

And I DO like the perspectives of D2TM you've drawn VERY much ;D

Edit: I've created a dune-style deploy cursor (like in CnC), check if you can use it. I don't know whether the colour I've used as a background mask is the same you use, but it's easy to change it.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Actually i hope it will be the other way around; if you think you have some l33t cool looking units that could be used for a new side. Be creative and don't be shy :)

The only limit you have is that the units should use the dune 2 palette. So your units (and structures) are bound to 256 colors.

The palette is attached here...

Hm, I have some unit graphics if ur interested. I made them for a Dune clone project that never came to life. There are some vehicles and infantry units based on original ones (edited from slightly to very different), including a hoverbike, sandcrawler (something like a Protoss Dragoon, based on quad graphics), repair vehicle and some others. All of them are in the original palette. They need to be resized though, to fit the new D2TM style.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello to all,

first of all, I had to thank Stafan for his game and the guys who provide this forum.

Stefan makes me a dream come true. I still remeber, alot of years ago, I played Dune II - The Battle for Arrakis and I get facinated by it. I played it over and over again. In my mind, I was creating a follower and started to read Gamemagazines and collecting facts. An unit here, a terrain there, an menue of one game, the handlingconcept of an other game. So I get a quite vision of the follower. My collection isn't big but well-sorted.

So, an real follower doesn't exist until today (I feel Dune 2000 & Emperor are still remakes and technical adaptations). But, thanks alot to Stefan, an REAL FOLLOWER TO DUNE II IS COMMING  :) !!!!! And I will be helping, as far as I can, on it. So I'm gonna start make comments on this forum.

I love Dune 2 - The Maker already now,

Elec

The most I can contribute are ideas. We had a great discussion in the roadmap topic, remember?

And I'm not any technical expert or programming guy. In fact, I know nuts about it. I don't mind being in some ideas team if you have it though 8) But I guess it's not necessary. Just start a topic and fire away.

• 3 months later...

No idea if you still need help with things (Due to irl business i stopped reading up on this site as often as i used to), Let me know, I've seen just about any series/movie of dune, played every dune game there is and read most books of em.. I'm a programmer as well, though I limit myself to C# and not C/C++.. but who knows, if you need me let me know.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to help out too, there seem to be lots of remakes but none of them ever gets finished, so it'd be nice if at least one did. :P

I don't have much experience with coding, but I've played all the Dune games so I could help with ideas, and I could provide some stuff from my remake like the Dune 2 intro and improved UI graphics.