Dune related "in-jokes"

Vanguard3000

Guest LtTitan

If you were talking about Warcraft III for Dune "in-jokes," it is filled with them.

Sometimes when you click on a Druid of the Claw he will say "The Sleeper has awakened."

One of the lines of the Huntressess is "I shall not fear."

IN sponge bob they are looking for worms or something their is a huge worm nearly identical to the one in lynch's film. Oh I beleive sponge bob also managed to ride it.

theirs the song by fatboy slim "weapon of choice" where their is a verse that goes "walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm

• 2 months later...

I just started playing Jedi Academy on the weekend (my weekday-computer can't run JKIII), and in one mission, on a desert planet called Blenjeel, there are these worm-like "Sand Burrowers" that will kill you if you walk on the sand for too long.  Also, if you throw thermal detonators, they will destract the creatures.

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

IMAGE 3

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but I always had the feeling Sting's 'Desert Rose' was in some way related to Dune. If not an in-joke (Sting co-starred in Lynch's Dune) than kinda Dunish in itself anyway.

Desert Rose

I dream of rain

I dream of gardens in the desert sand

I wake in pain

I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of fire

Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire

And in the flames

Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

This desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this

And as she turns

This way she moves in the logic of all my dreams

This fire burns

I realise that nothing's as it seems

I dream of rain

I wake in pain

I dream of rain

I lift my gaze to empty skies above

I close my eyes, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of her love

I dream of rain

I wake in pain

Sweet desert rose

Each of her veils, a secret promise

This desert flower

No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this

Sweet desert rose

This memory of Eden haunts us all

This desert flower, this rare perfume

Is the sweet intoxication of the fall

I just started playing Jedi Academy on the weekend (my weekday-computer can't run JKIII), and in one mission, on a desert planet called Blenjeel, there are these worm-like "Sand Burrowers" that will kill you if you walk on the sand for too long.

Not exactly and in joke...

Seeing some of the references in this thread reminded me of the first time I heard of Dune in high school.  A friend of mine told me about it (Lynch's movie was about to come out) and mentioned that Iron Maiden wrote a song about Dune.  I have never heard the song (I was never a huge Iron Maiden fan), but a quick internet search turned up this:

<I>Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind

To Tame A Land   

He is the king of all the land

In the Kingdom of the sands

Of a time tomorrow.

He rules the sandworms and the Fremen

In a land amongst the stars

Of an age tomorrow.

He is destined to be a King

He rules over everything

On the land called planet Dune.

Bodywater is your life

And without it you would die

On the desert the planet Dune.

Without a stillsuit you would fry

On the sands so hot and dry

In a world called Arrakis.

It is a land that's rich in spice

The sandriders and the "mice"

That they call the "Muad'Dib".

He is the Kwizatz Haderach.

He is born of Caladan

And will take the Gom Jabbar.

He has the power to foresee

Or to look into the past

He is the ruler of the stars

The time will come for him

to lay claim his crown,

And then the foe yes

they'll be cut down,

You'll see he'll be the

best that there's been,

Messiah supreme

true leader of men,

And when the time

for judgement's at hand

Don't fret he's strong

and he'll make a stand,

Against evil and fire

That spreads through the land,

He has the power

to make it all end.</I>

Didn't say the lyrics were stellar, just figured I would add the reference.

Harq al Harba

I know that Iron Maiden song too. Blind Guardian has also one Dune songy.

The Morning Sun of Dune

The Morning Sun of Dune

The holy war's waiting for

The morning sun

The morning sun

The morning sun

The morning sun of Dune, there's no tomorrow

the apparation of this land and it's dream

makes me feel I've seen it before

I can taste there's life, everywhere you can find

in the desert of my life, I see it again and again

And again, again, again, again

Dark tales has brought the Dijah

like whispering echos in the wind and I'm a million miles from home

Traveler in Time

knowing that there's no rhyme

The morning sun is near first light of dawn is here

the morning sun is near again

The Fremen sing that their kingdom will come

and I'm the leading one battlefields on our crusade

filled with Sardokaurs killing machines crying

in raising fear they're hiding

Where do we go now?

So where is the way?

When I'm a million miles from home

The morning sun I feel

all pain and sorrow the apparation of my words in these days

makes me feel I've told them before all my plans will come true

I'll controll destiny in the desert of my life

I've seen it again and again

By my dreams I must find a way to stop the raging war

I've to choose now, I will leave my body and seek

and time will stand still, when I've to leave

my body and find a way back to the world I love

when I'm a million miles from home

traveller in time

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor Who

There's a 21st-season episode (the last episode with the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davidson) called The Caves of Androzani.  it involves a deserted, quazi-desert planet (there is no water per se, but there is boiling hot mud-tides in the underground caves) called Androzani Minor, whose cave network is the only source of a substance called Spectrox.  Spectrox, the horribly poisonous secretions of bat-like creatures, can be refined into an extremely valuable drug, which can effectively double the lifespan of a human being.

This drug is cherished by the populated world of Androzani Major, but mining of the substance is being hindered by an army of androids, led by Sharaz Jek, who was once betrayed by Morgus, the man who owns the monopoly on Spectrox mining...

More info, pictures, quotes, and the secret behind the Fifth Doctor's celery.

Yeah, in Fallout almost dead enemies say "Fear is the mind killer."

Anyway...

<b>Anime serie called Trigun</b>

First of all, the planet is a sand planet with nearly not water at all. Yep, but in the 22th episode there are sandworms. When they attack, one of the character shouts:

"Worms! Is this thing built on solid bedrock?"

Yup.

Another Doctor Who reference:

In a nineteenth-season (still the Fifth Doctor) episode called Kinda, the TARDIS lands on Deva Loca, whose inhabitants - the primitive and largely matriarchal Kinda - communicate through telepathy.  Only certain females could speak, and were revered as wise women of sorts.  Panna, one such wise woman, dies, and her consciousness is transferred to her young apprentice, much like the transfer of Other Memory among the Bene Gesserit.  This wise woman also had a special box, although it bears little in common with the BG "Pain by nerve induction" box.  Panna did say, however, that it would drive mad any male who used it.

The Kinda had a prophecy that one day, there would be a male who had the gift of speech, and he was destined to become their leader.  One such man arises, and tries to launch an attack on the technologically advanced humans who were surveying the planet for colonization.  This is the common messiah/Kwisatz Haderach theme.

Tegan, one of the Doctor's companions, is lulled to sleep under some strange windchimes - a device Panna (the Kinda wise woman) explains is for allowing the Kinda to "share dreams".  This is similar in a way to the Fremen Tau.  While Tegan is dreaming alone (Panna describes lone dreaming under the chimes as being very dangerous) she fights a battle of wits in her dream with a fear-manifestation called a Mara.  The Mara wins, and crosses over into our realm by occupying Tegan's body.  This resembles Alia's posession by Baron Harkonnen.

Find out more about Kinda and the Doctor here.

• 3 months later...

IN sponge bob they are looking for worms or something their is a huge worm nearly identical to the one in lynch's film. Oh I beleive sponge bob also managed to ride it.

theirs the song by fatboy slim "weapon of choice" where their is a verse that goes "walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm

Also before that when they are looking for the Alaskin Bull Worm as it is called Sandy the Squirel says "wormsign" and picks up a small sign with a worm,  i wrote another post about that before,  thought i should post it again in the right area :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know its bee na couple of weeks, but I just found one. In StarCraft, on Korhal, there's the giant skeleton of a sandworm, it's got that distinctive three-jawed head that we see in all of the Westwood Dune games.

EDIT: Oh, and would you guys happen to know where I could find those songs? It would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up such an old topic but there is another "joke":

On Geidi Prime (Gammu) there grows a tree whose wood is very valuable and expensive. There also exists a common practice of making furniture and suchlike in the apperance of this wood using three synthetic ploymers whose names all start with "Po-". The "Three POs" as they are known are a byword for apparent class and cheapness, since only those who could/would not pay for the real thing would consider having them as a substitute.

Now, in StarWars, we have a certain Droid who happens to go by the name "C-3PO", and who despite his sophistication is in fact constructed from junk... Hmmm.

Given how much SW has, erm, 'borrowed' from Dune, surely this isn't a coincidence?  ;)