Dune related "in-jokes"

Vanguard3000

I'd like to compile a list of all of all (or as many as possible) "guest appearances" Dune has made in other things.  I don't mean outright parodies like National Lampoon's Doon or Disney's Dune.  I'll give you some examples:

Warcraft III

When you click on the Undead Acolyte enough times, he'll eventually say  "All I see is blackess... Oh, my hood's down".

Saturday Night Live

In a skit involving George W. Bush being advized by Dick Cheney, etc, someone mentions the country Yemen.  Bush says something like "You mean Fremen."  Cheney corrects him, saying "Fremen is from the science fiction novel Dune."

Star Trek: Log Eight by Alan Dean Foster

In this novel, based on the TOS cartoon episode "Eye of the Beholder", Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are searching for a missing starship crew on the planet Lactra III.  In a patch of desert, they are attacked by a large creature.  After their escape, Kirk mentions that the creature was identical to a desert beast from the planet Canopus III.

There was a thread like this a long time back.

Star Trek makes frequent allusions to Dune, possibly because Herbert was one of the big guys in charge of the first letter-writing campaign to save the show.

Rakis, Arrakis, Gedi Prime, Kaitan, are all planets in Star Trek.

The simpson, int he episode Apu moves in witht hem.

Homer: "Whats the matter Lisa? Is the curry too spicey for you?"

Lisa: "I can see through time."

Tiny Toons, in one episode they stand in a video store advertising the worst box office bombs of all time, dune is prominently on display.

Beetljuice and a million other shows: Sandworms, sand trout.

And many, many more.

Ah, yes, the old Beetlejuice sandworms. Man, that show/movie was bizarre.

Anyway, keep in mind that Arrakis is a real star (sometime "Al-Rakis"), as well as Geidi.

I knew there was a Simpsons spoof, but I couldn't remember it. Thanks! ;)

Also, Star Wars was partially inspired by Dune. That's no secret.

TMA: Yeah, I was really surprised when I saw that. It's a pretty good book, actually. I had had it for a very long time, but only read it out of boredom about a year ago. It's a very easy read, but it's pretty good.

In fact, it is an intenional joke just for fans of Dune that Gedi Prime is a vacation world in Star Trek.

Really?? Cool! I should really watch Star Trek sometime.. ( I know there's lots but I do have a whole lifetime to do my catching up!)

The makers of star trek have stated that the references to planets (not starss:)) are links to Dune.

In fact, it is an intenional joke just for fans of Dune that Gedi Prime is a vacation world in Star Trek.

Oh yeah, I saw that in Voyager once. I thought they just stole that because of lack of inspiration.

The makers of star trek have stated that the references to planets (not starss:)) are links to Dune.

Oh yeah, I saw that in Voyager once. I thought they just stole that because of lack of inspiration.

Perhaps it was a bit of both. ;)

In one episode of King of the Hill, Dale thinks Joseph is an alien, and his real father will be angry with him if he isn't nice to Joseph. So Dale starts giving him all this stuff and Bobby says "wow, your dad is really cool." Then Joseph replies, "No, hes just being nice so my real dad doesnt freeze him in carbonite and trade him for spice."

Who played Fury of the Furies? I think it's a second level, where you play in desert. Intro screen shows little Furrie on a "sandworm", hunting a food on a fishing stick ;D

Also in setup you can choose a "fremen" language...

I PLAYED THAT! :D

I thought id never find anyone else who had! I played it on the Amiga YEARS ago and my god it was awesome, especially the music =)

They dont make games like that anymore :-.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...