Dune 2 - The Maker Version 0.92 released

stefanhendriks

nobody said it would be easy ;)

Anyway, you got the DUNE 2 MP3's? I thought they where available at this site? If not, i could send one. But that would let you hear how it sounds like.. the good old days and such. I would really love to have them that way.

Btw, i have release a tiny glimpse of the new D2TM... its at my website ;)

I have the DII MP3s; yes, they are available from fed2k, the location thereof being linked to from the news article when they went up.

I'm aware my midis sound slightly more D2000ish. Mods, though would be the closest thing you could get to the DII experience

actually i am thinking about non-broadband users all the time. I compress my data files. I try to keep the download low. So here is the plan (and its working already):

1. You download the demo (EXE file, etc)

- gives you all functionality + MIDI's for music (using own MIDI player)

Optionally:

2. You download the MP3 data pack, simply put it in the data directory and the EXE file knows this, using this music instead of MIDI.

3. (idea, not realized yet) -> another DAT pack. INTRO.DAT to have the original DUNE 2 intro in the game.

The 2 add-ons will be huge , i admit. But its the only way to reassure that the sound / music is 100% as it should.

I also consider this:

4. High-quality-sound pack.

As i said before, i try to keep the sizes down. Meaning, most sounds are 11Khz, MONO, etc. But some sounds sound better on 22KHZ STEREO (upping it more is off no use since D2 itself does not use such high quality sounds).

Comfortable enough? ;)

About the music,

I once downloaded a collection of Dune II midi's which were extracted and converted from the original files, and contained all the music. I compared them being played with the music played in Dune II itself, and the although the music differed somewhat, the quality was good (maybe even better). I played those midi's with a SB Audigy 2, so that might explain the quality. I'm curious what the mp3 conversions sound like, but the default mp3 conversion of a midi files I've heard are usefully of lesser quality then the midi played with a good sound card.

Maybe an option in the game that you select that you want to play the mp3 files, or the midi files?

well, playing MP3 or not is already an option ;) You either download that huge pack or not. If you want to disable it, remove the file from the directory.

Perhaps i will add some more userfriendly manner, but atm i am fighting serious bugs now ;)

btw timenn, your help on the 32x32 gfx was the start of a whole new facial update of this current version ;)  8)

Oh, yes, if you need help on small graphics, I'm also willing to help (I had assumed you wouldn't be changing anything). Not that I want to encroach on Timenn's efforts in the slightest.

Incidentally, I might alter the Arrakeen font a little; I see where I had gone wrong with it on my first attempts (the original was an antialiased set of pictures, but I'd not taken that into account).

One option is something like two bitmap fonts for antialiasing purposes, so you just overlay one over another - would that be feasible with the engine?

Otherwise, I might alter it to look regular.

I want to make the music of Dune 2 high quality for the mod. I have already changed the first song of Dune 2 into high quality. You can listen to it by downloading the attachment.

regards,

Kazuma 

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

sounds good. I have heard it before, something similiar. Is it from the midi taken? Btw, the drums sounds like they 'overrule' the tune a bit imo.

I thought there was something odd about the songs. That was probably what was standing out.

sounds good. I have heard it before, something similiar. Is it from the midi taken? Btw, the drums sounds like they 'overrule' the tune a bit imo.

Thanks. Yes I use the midi as the melody and make it high quality. You can probably hear the difference. I will remake the other Dune 2 midi's too and edit the drum of this one. It can be needed to edit the remade songs a couple of times until they are well balanced. :) 

Also on the internet I found more midi songs of Dune that aren't in the mod. I'm not sure if some of those are from Dune 1 or 2. However some sound quite slow so perhaps those are from Dune 1.

regards,

Kazuma

I can't promise i will use those. I already have all DUNE 2 original music in MP3 format, which sounds very nice. Though i like your enthousiasm, we could probably fix up another DAT file (or you could even do it yourself when the time comes) so you can use YOUR files instead of the 'original' ones.. it aint hard, and i can supply the tool for you.

So which set are you using?

"As to the midis, there's a set of 9/10 floating around, as well as the set of 33 in Dune Legacy...

I've only heard one or maybe two of the Sega genesis tracks (named 'Atreides Dirge' or something)"

The Dune I midis are also in a group of 9 or 10 and they should be named Arrakis, Bagdad, etc. If you want comparison or some midis which actually fit to bars (i.e. not just rips), I've spent a long time turning those rips into legible music. (see my site, linked to on the left)

There is a text file with the large batch of midi's it says they are from Dune 2 and is apparently the complete soundtrack. It are in total 33 tunes. I also have a smaller batch that are also in the larger one which are in total 9 tunes. They don't have any names just numbers.

Please add the remade high quality songs I made to the mod. I do this because I want to help and make the mod better. I have remade another tune. I hope you guys like it. 

regards,

Kazuma

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

I like your enthousiasm, but the way you want me to add the files to my game is not how i like to be treated.

As i said, i give you the possibility to use your own files in the game, when using the proper tool.

I will use the MP3 files i already have, and thats final.

Stefan is making a game, not a mod.

How about this compromise: when the game is finished, put the game up on the Arrakis site alongside the proper Dune II music, as well as (perhaps in another section) other music collections and any mods and so forth. That way, people can choose whether to download the original music or the remakes.

Ok, the 9 tunes are nothing to do with Dune I.

http://www.dune2k.com/?p=duniverse-music has other links you might want to see.

Well I understand that some people like to have the original tunes instead of remakes so it could be a option to listen to these or the original versions. I only wanted to help with the game, but I see it's not appreciated.

Stefan is making a game, not a mod.

How about this compromise: when the game is finished, put the game up on the Arrakis site alongside the proper Dune II music, as well as (perhaps in another section) other music collections and any mods and so forth. That way, people can choose whether to download the original music or the remakes.

Ok, the 9 tunes are nothing to do with Dune I.

http://www.dune2k.com/?p=duniverse-music has other links you might want to see.

This is exactly what i proposed earlier.

I never said this was not appreciated, though i felt forced to use the songs in the first place.