Poll

Mahdi

Will you be purchasing the new Special Edition of David Lynch's Dune?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be purchasing the new Special Edition of David Lynch's Dune?

• I've already pre-ordered it
    • Of course
    • Maybe if I find it used or on sale
    • Nope
    • I'm waiting for the HD-DVD version

But I already own the normal DVD version :(

And buying two of the same DVD? That's insanity! That's equivilent to paying for... things!

Good old double dipping.

Although, techinically, it's not really the same DVD.  This one contains both versions of the movie, I believe the old one just held the theatrical.

Tezcatlipoca, I totally understand how you feel. Its like with the Goodfellas Special Edition DVD, I dont want to buy it just yet (though I heard it is freakin awesome, and the original DVD is horrible), because I already have one copy of it. It would feel to oweird.lol

I have the special edition released about six months ago over here, but not exactly the version about which the poll was made. So for what do I vote?

Do you mean the 2 disc one with the all black case and the snadworm in the middle? That's the one I was thinking of, is there a difference between that one and this one?

I know the problem with having a movie and then a new version is released.

I currently have this with Goodfellas and Heat - but I will wait until thos are cheaper and buy the newer version, giving the older one to a friend or someone else.

I bought Fight Club a second time one week ago because my version only included the movie and a trailer and the new 2 disc edition contains a lot of bonus stuff I am interested in becaus I just love this movie and the book.

now for dune: I won't buy it, because actually I really don't like the movie very much. too much is missing, it's just not an adequate movie for the whole dune tale in my opinion. they should do a new version - they did so some time ago for tv (3 Parts) and if they had done it for cinema it would have been great. because the whole story was more extended and quite good but the effects and actors were crap... as it was only meant for tv you couln't expect more.

so I'm still waiting for the perfect dune movie... like it took soooooooo long for the perfect lord of the rings movie. maybe some day a good director will make a really good and very long movie

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have bought the "Dune Ultimate Edition" (Zone 2) and gave the original DVD to a friend who loved the novels.

The DVD package is dark classy, the movie DVD hides the 2nd moon, that's a really clever packaging idea.

The bonuses really suck. The Allen Smithee scenes suck.

But the picture and sound have undergone a restoration work and the result is a renewed DUNE experience so i think, supposing you like the original movie like i do, the Ultimate Edition worths the money.