The Interesting Careers of Frank Herbert.

Imperial Sardaukar

Man, good post Imperial Sardaukar! :)

The reason why I say that is, is that I have thought about this before, and I never thought to post about it. you stirred my memory and I love when that happens, because I have a horrible memory, hehe.

Yeah, I noticed that many great writers have usually been around. Usually they have a huge list of jobs they have had, and a huge list of places they have been to. Frank Herbert is like that, and I think it seasons a brilliant writer.

Is there a list of that kind of info? if so please post! :)

I have! I have also thought of myself as the reincarnation of Napoleon though...  ;)  lol

Seriously though you are right vanguard. Most honest and good writers will put themselves or at least apart of their personality, habits, or beliefs into a character of their stories. You can see this with most great artists in many kinds of artistic expression, including writing. Frank Herbert even said that Liet Kynes was inspired a lot by him and his beliefs and experiances as an ecologist.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the things I find most astonishing about Frank.  I didn't even finish all of "Dreamer of Dune", but man...I was astounded at the number of jobs he'd held.  It makes me feel like a big fat loser sitting here at the only place I've ever worked (for nearly the past 7 years).  Makes you wanna break free and just try whatever you can.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy in today's world as it was in Frank's time.