Need Help With Questions Concerning Dune? Ask Here!

TMA_1

Because their society is based on sex.

The Honoured Matres are women - most likely Bene Gesserit missionaries - who left the "Old Empire" (the known universe that existed before and during Leto II's reign) during the Scattering (after Leto II died, many people left the known universe to explore, form their own civilizations, etc). Heretics of Dune takes place 1500 years after this event, and the Honoured Matres are returning.

Because they left the Spice behind, they use an adrenaline-based substitute that gives them the ability to attack with the speed of a reflex (reflexes occur much faster than regular movements), so they are very powerful fighters. Also, the drug makes flecks of orange appear in their eyes when they become angry.

They enslave/control men with their sexual abilities, and they posess a powerful weapon which can render an entire planet uninhabitable. With these abilities, they (and a new breed of Tleilaxu, also from the Scattering) have been slowly taking over the Old Empire, planet by planet. Essentially, the Bene Gesserit control the Old Empire at this time, so they are trying to stop the "Whores" from taking over.

This is ,y first post here, but I was a member on the EBFD message board until the game came out. My name was joe_cool.

Anyways I got a question:

What excatly was the scattering?

The way I get it, it was just a mass emmigration from the Old Empire, but I don't know if that's the most accurate assumption.

Now, I seriously think i have waited long enough...Can someone please tell me: What in the deserts of Dune was Leto II really up to? Did he even understand what he was doing before he put on the sandtrout suit?

Ugh...why did Herbert make those books so hard to understand...? :( :-

Can someone please tell me: What in the deserts of Dune was Leto II really up to? ...

Hrmph. Maybe someone should put up a big flshing red sign on the main board saying "THIS IS WHAT THE GOLDEN PATH IS!" ;) Anyway, I'll quote TMA to answer your question (the last paragraph is pretty explanative):

"Leto II once said something about each sandtrout held part of him inside what did he acutally mean by saying this was he saying that he was dead but not dead? If that makes any sense. Also another thing Leto II was the KH that his father Paul had refused to become correct."

What leto the tyrant meant by the sandtrout having a part of his consciousness is kinda odd. It makes sense though. Leto the second's brain grew all throughout his body. You can read that actually in god emperor of Dune. Also his soul was with all the sandtrout. He knew that he would be killed in the future and though all of the worms of arrakis died, he still contained on his body thousands of these creatures. When he was finally killed, the sandtrout left his body and began the process of taking water from the planet and using it in their maturing stages. The sandtrouts themselves still carried physically and spiritually apart of leto. I believe spiritually but that is my own opinion.

About the next question, I thought so as well for awhile and though there is good argument for it, I tend to say they both were. KH basically means the man that can be many places at once. Though Paul didnt take on the sandtrout suit, he could have been able to take it. He was the KH that did not want to live for eternity as a collective of mindless drones living out on arrakis. Leto accepted this fate though. All to save humanity from stagnating.

• 2 weeks later...

whats an imprinter and the person who restores memories?

I'm reading Heretics( very good book)

Teg wants to restore duncans memories before he is imprinted by lucilla (sp?)

I think an imprinter gains control of the person, but am not sure.

wow, no one knew?

SPOILER!!

well as I was reading on on page 344 Lucilla says:

[hide]

"More, actually, if you count minor variations. I am an Imprinter, which means I have mastered the three hundred steps of orgasmic amplification!"

so shes a sex machine..and she is to make duncan irresistable to females.[/hide]

Also is it just me or is heretics better than chapterhouse? From what i can remember chapterhouse invlves people in a noship just talking, no fighting etc.

the last two books just went down hill for me. i mean dont get me wrong, going down with the two books still makes them top on my list,lol I just mean compared to the other dune books. Wow, I completely forgot that. poor titus... lol :D

Hope someone has a good answer to this.

Why does everyone refer to duncan as having atriedes genes?

He has harkonnen genes, unless his family or descendants(opposite) were abducted atreides.

I know that that jesscia paul etc all had harkonnen genes and were considered atreides, but why is duncan Atreides?

Just because you grow up with the atreides doesnt change genes.

He didn't have Atreides genes. That's why (Chapterhouse spoiler)

[hide]He had to stay in the no-ship, where he would be hidden from those with precient vision.[/hide]

People call him Atreides because he is associated with them. And he does not have Harkonnen genes. He was a slave of the Harkonnens.

Well i assume most people were from harkonnen descent on giedi prime (except for bought slaves)

heretics spoiler in conjunction with vangaurds

[hide]

Also in heretics he had to be in the harkonnen no room to be shielded...me thinking about whether it is possible for it to have been constructed when it was in the prequels..many hints that it was after, but there were no "harkonnens" when atreides got power.[/hide]

what do you mean in general? all there is out there basically are Dune books and games. Vanguard answered your question.

I find that the prequels made a horrific mistake by incorperating the no-ship and no-rooms. Especially the fact that the Richesians were the ones that discovered it first in the prequels. At the time of Leto the red duke, richese was long gone from being a formidable opponent off the Ixians and actually creating groundbreaking stuff like the no-room technology.

And what evidence do you have of that? They seemed pretty technologically advanced to me.

I dont think Richese were mentioned in original books much, and IX was the only major technology creator. (at least quality wise.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems visualizing what Miles Teg would look like in Chapterhouse Dune. How old is he when he regains his memories? I think between 10-15 but am unsure as time flies by in that book.

Also mentants have a "Wall of mirrors"? that can make them a Kwizatch Haderach?? whats up with that?

Young Teg was about 9-11 (I think 9, because Duncan was 9 in Heretics, so there was probably a literary significance there).

About the "wall of mirrors" thing, in what book did you read this? It might be referring to them aquiring enough data to predict the future. COuld you explain this a bit more?

Chapterhouse Dune Page 319, (when Teg gets memory back chapter)

"Oh, yes. And I found myself in the famous 'Hall of Mirrors' they described and warned us to flee."

"So you remembered how to get out and . . ."

"Remembered? You've obviously been there. Did memory get you out?"

"It helped."

[...]

Idaho started to smile and remembered the comeyes. He saw at once how the watchdogs would interpret such revelations. Wild talent in a dangerous descendant of the Atreides! Sisters knew about the mirrors. Anyone who escaped must be suspect. What did the mirrors show him?

As though he heard the dangerous question, Teg said: " I was caught and knew it. I could visualize myself as a bedridden vegetable but I didn't care. The mirrors were everything until, like something floating up out of water, I saw my mother. She looked more or less the way she had just before she died."

[...]

"The Sisters will now imagine I'm at least a potential Kwisatz Haderach," Teg said. "Another Muad'Dib. Bullcrap! As you're so fond of saying, Duncan. Neither of us would risk that. We know what he created and we're not stupid!"

[and theres more if you read the chapter/book]