Need Help With Questions Concerning Dune? Ask Here!

TMA_1

Ok, I sent you an Instant Message TMA-1.

One question that is baffling me is if leto II was prescient why didnt he see his own death? I can only come up with 3 answers.

1. He liked surprises and thus did not look for it.

2. This was the best thing for the golden path he saw.

or maybe he knew the no ships would crumble his empire if he could not see them.(in the future)or maybe it would be the only way to get duncan and siona to mate.

3. Hwi worked better than anyone thought. she poisoned his mind with love or something.

oh okay Ill go check it out. :)

Leto the second did see his own death. He didnt mean he would be immortal as in he would always be a worm-man. He would be immortal from his own death. The sandtrout on his body would depart and those sandtrout would then grow into worms. He would actually be the worms. They are his offspring and they really are apart of himself. The problem is he feared thisdeath and this immortality. He would always be locked away in a state of quasi consciousness within the many sandtrout that would become worms. He could never be the same and never have the satisfaction of being a thoughtful, individual being. He would be cursed to roam the deserts semi conscious. It was his gift to humanity though. He sacrificed himself to this hell for the benefit of all mankind. He really was a savior in the series of books.

Also, keep in mind that Siona was Atreides, too. Leto II couldn't "see" what she was going to do. I think this made Leto's death a bit surprising to him.

Atreides couldnt see what other atreides were doing through prescience? Also in CoD in a conversation:

Stilgar stared at the desert. Lime dawn had become steel day. He said: "Why have we come to this place?"

"Because I wanted you to see the place where I may die."

Stilgar tensed. Then: "So you have had a vision!"

"Perhaps it was only a dream."

"Why do we come to such a dangerous place?" Stilgar glared down at his charge. "We will return at once."

"I won't die today, Stil."

"No? What was this vision?"

"I saw three paths," Leto said. His voice came out with the sleepy sound of remembrance. "One of those futures requires me to kill our grandmother."

.......a little later it says:

Stilgar turned his back on the desert, stared toward the oasis of his beloved Sietch Tabr. Such talk always disturbed him.

So is this the spot where leto died in GEoD? I beleive it is.

According to TMA-1, sandtrout grow from sand plankton. If this is true, then what do the mature worms eat(aside from the occasional idiot that wanders out to the desert)? I always thought the sand plankton were a separate lifeform entirely, and saw the worms as 'filter-feeders' off of them. Otherwise there is no real food chain that allows them to reach such gigantic sizes.

well there are two theories I have heard of. One is that they are like whales and eat the same sand plankton that they grow from. Cannablism is a very natural occurance even on earth with many animalia and plantia. Another theory is that they are in true autotrophs. They use the static electricity from moving along the sands to excite electrons. this creates various new inorganic compounds and the Worm actually takes these compounds to produce fuel for their sustinance. This also answers why Shui Hulud produces a hot fire in the deep area of the stomach. From the gas that is a byproduct of their diet, the static electicity ignites the flamable gasses inside. This also helps in breaking down inorganic compounds for remaking them into ATP molecules.

There is also another form of reproduction I have heard of. That they actually lay eggs. I have read in places like in the DE that worms have both male and female organs, basically they are asexual. They produce a kind of gel-like egg deposite, which eventually grows into numerous sandtrout.

hope that helps and if there are any corrections, Vanguard will be here to help or others. I trust vanguard the most with this stuff. a better understander of the universe of dune than anybody with the exception of maybe mahdi. :)

You flatter me, TMA. ;) I'd say you know as much as I do about this stuff. A lot of the things discussed here are not discussed in the books, so your speculation is as good as mine. :)

My understanding was that the sandtrout turned to worms (or created spice, which usually killed them in the blast). The worms eventually would die, and turn back into sandtrout. The sandtrout themselves, being squidlike, would probably lay eggs. Although it is true that regular earthworms have both male and female reproductive organs, so maybe the sandworms have a similar thing going.

The sand plankton are essentially food, I think.

from stagnation. The human race was pretty happy and secure for about 10,000 years. Because of this, both mentally and genetically, humankind was going downhill. The lack of growth and expansion was a death warrent for all humans. So leto the tyrant kept the people down and controlled them. He took all the once major powers and forced them to follow new and strict laws. He limited the flow of spice throughout the imperium so that people were totally subjegated. Once he was killed though, people wanted to expand. It is like anything kept in a tight space. It wants to get out of the small area it is in and expand.

hope that helps. :)

Yeah, i can see how that is. But was it really nesecary? Humankind wasnt really in any immediate or grave danger, was it? ???

If genetic stagnation was a problem, could it really be that hard to say to people: Now, you go out and exlplore the universe. (okay, maybe it would, but when you are the emperor of the known universe it shouldnt be a too hard task, should it?)

Ok, now i'm quarrling i guess, but at least you all should have something to chew on :P ;) ;D

I got a mouthful, trust me. I don't think humans were in any immediate danger... Leto was just a maniac!

Yeah, and uh well, nowhere in the two first books where there ever (as far as i know) indicated that mankind was going downhill.... ???

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a question that I've never quite understood. It's from Chapterhouse Dune. What exactly was that net that the Duncan could see, and why could he see it? I know he could see the [hide]free face dancers[/hide] behind it, but I'm still not sure how it all worked. Was he a sort of Kwisatz Haderach who, instead of taking the Water of Life, was "freed" by his... erm... first encounter with Murbella?

well this is more of an opinion question. Everybody is right in their own way as long as it is taken from what they read of Dune. I personally see it as a fight against nature. I see it as this Godlike universe that puts upon the people so many problems, and how they deal with these problems. I see it as the protection of ecological systems, because without them we have no culture or roots. So many things that are good answers I think. I dont think frank was trying to connect the Dune universe with reality. We already know enough of reality as is so why get that from a book? he wrote Dune to entertain specifically. I have heard him say that once too. hope that helps. my opinion that is.lol :)

Sure, but Herbert was incredibly well attached to reality. All what was in Dune wasn't just for the heck of it, it had a complete reasoning behind, a reasoning that we also find in reality. Look for exemple at all the philosophy that is included, or at the ideas about religion and so on.

When duncan says "Hrrak! Hraak! Hraak!" in Dune Messiah, when he transforms from Hayt to Dunecan/Hayt.

What does it mean? or is he just screaming and that is what is sounds like?

Also, they say(Paul says) the words, "she is gone" triggers Hayts' memories, but when Paul says "what must be done" that is what really transforms(trigers) him.

"We will not run," Paul said. "We'll move with dignity. We'll do what must be done."

The ghola's muscles locked [my edit...so he stopped what he was going to do which is kill paul]. He shuddered, swayed.

" . . . what must be done!" The words rolled in his mind like a great fish surfacing. " . . . what must be done!" Ahhh, that had sounded like the old Duke,

Paul's grandfather. The young master had some of the old man in him. " . . . what must be done!"

Did anyone think this was the intention of the tleilaxu? to not kill paul but to getv duncans memories back?, as scytale says they have been waiting for this to happen.