End of the World 2029

Dude_Doc

AI is a differing concept. Would it be a computer that is self-aware, or one that can react to any given stimulus? I don't see what the problem with AI is. At the most basic interpretation, it's just a personality in a different body. What's not to like?

erjin STFU.  j/k  :P  (sarcastic icon added for moderator who deleted last post...)

wonder what made EWS snap like that?  ;D

Anyways, real humanistic AI isnt necessary to pose a threat for humans... all that is needed is an AI programmed for murder like the terminators.  That will suffice enough for a threat. Nothing fancy needed.

Hehe. Yeah, seems out of character for him, not that I know him that well. Afterwards I was wondering after if his account hadnt been hacked...

we will reach what is called singularity. the point where machines have the ability to produce even smarter machines, and when the technological development has gone out of control. It is when machines are able to take 1 million instructions per second. the same as humans.

As for AI, we have already achieved the 1 million instructions for computers, I am sure of it. In fact we have achieved many many more, although I cannot see the what is so special about 1 million instructions per second.

humans are doing what they have always done best. . . explaining things after they have happend and then shaping it to their own vision. ..

Global warming exsist in figures only, no one knows what's going on and CNN love sensationall news .. .

You are one of the last people who have to worry about that Edric O. . as far as I know you have mountains near you. . I life 15 meters below sealevel.

The Maya calendar will not end, it will be compleated. The calendar. . periodes in our time have a beginning .. and have an end. The one the current calendar was made for will end 2012. But not the world. A new calender should be made but just as all the maya people who made it. . the current experst about it are also no-where-to-find .. so no more calendar... A calendar is a referance to time, time however isn't to calendar .. the end of a calendar doesn't mean the end of time. . . you know. . it's almost the end of December. . anyone scared yet ?

People are doing what they have always been doing. . . telling horror stories to eachother about Hans and Gretel. . the passing of time has changed the story, but not the idea.... We will go along. . . the world won't end nor will the sun just stop functioning.

We all just love a good horror story  . . and the news network likes to feed us with it...

Concerning to the first post, there are about 1000 NEO's (Near Earth Object) hanging around our solar sistem, we know the orbit of few (by the way, there is a 1000$ prize for the person who detects one) and its only a matter of time before one like that hits earth. For the sceptics in you, even if human kind succeed in changing its course, the earth might be destroyed by many many other ways! the most sure thing is that the earth will be consumed by the sun as it gets bigger and bigger around the year... 5,000,002,004 so this planet will be abandoned in the future.

And about the post about if we know when a meteore strikes a big city, it doesnt realy matter, a large meteore (about a mile long) when it strikes it will reak hevoc in every place it hits, if it hits the sea we will face cataclizem! titel waves will hit every shore on earth, the titel waves which hit the far east are nothing if you compare them to the titel waves coused by a meteor strike, 120,000 dead and still counting - that is the damage from a 10 meters titel wave, we are talking about a mile hight titel wave!

Yep.. the earth is full of surprizes! =)

[quote author=ophirus link=topic=16597.msg269841#msg269841 date= the earth might be destroyed by many many other ways! the most sure thing is that the earth will be consumed by the sun as it gets bigger and bigger around the year... 5,000,002,004 so this planet will be abandoned in the future.

by that time, humanity will probably conquered/colonized other planets (provided we still exist)

so perhaps by that time we will be able to make an artificial sun O_0".

[quote author=ophirus link=topic=16597.msg269841#msg269841 date= the earth might be destroyed by many many other ways! the most sure thing is that the earth will be consumed by the sun as it gets bigger and bigger around the year... 5,000,002,004 so this planet will be abandoned in the future.

by that time, humanity will probably conquered/colonized other planets (provided we still exist)

so perhaps by that time we will be able to make an artificial sun O_0".

only problem is that scientists have found about 42 (could be more now) critical conditions in order for life to be sustained on a planet and due to these different conditions about 99% of all other solar systems are excluded.

The world will end when all the nations launch their nukes at each other and create a nuclear winter.

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php

Or it will end when the sun blows up.

Or aliens will enslave the human race.

Or an astroid will smash the earth.

Or the anti-christ will kill us all.

OR GOB WILL EAT US ALL!!!!!

I really dont care when it will end. It will end when it ends.

The world will end when all the nations launch their nukes at each other and create a nuclear winter.

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php

Or it will end when the sun blows up.

Or aliens will enslave the human race.

Or an astroid will smash the earth.

Or the anti-christ will kill us all.

OR GOB WILL EAT US ALL!!

I really dont care when it will end. It will end when it ends.

you are forgetting there is a remote possibility that all 6 billion people on the earth could have a fatal heart attack synchronously

Nature/natural disasters are the greatest threat to mankind. Take the the recent tsunami.

Every month we hear/see natural disasters hitting all over the world.

Global tempretures are rising and no one can foresee the full impact of that.

sea levels rising will change tidal patterns and gulf streams effecting weather patterns etc not just changing coastlines.

Earth's permafrost starts to squelch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/default.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3686106.stm

This whole series makes very intresting and worrying reading.

only problem is that scientists have found about 42 (could be more now) critical conditions in order for life to be sustained on a planet

Scientists did the same statictics in order to calculate the odds of another life in this universe, they did not only included these 42 conditions, but the also added to the calculations the chances of intelegent life and not microbes and jerms. Anyways, they found out that there are millions of other intelegent lifes in our universe, so the chance of finding another planet or transform one to suit our needs isn't that imagenarry.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what would the future hold for mankind...

I hope humankind collonize other planets, then we can aim for other sollar sistems, hiper-space will allow us to visit other galaxies and do the same there, finelly just before the last star dies in our universe we jump to another universe and descover it has a tiny change in the laws of pheosics and we all parish! =)

Scientists did the same statictics in order to calculate the odds of another life in this universe, they did not only included these 42 conditions, but the also added to the calculations the chances of intelegent life and not microbes and jerms. Anyways, they found out that there are millions of other intelegent lifes in our universe, so the chance of finding another planet or transform one to suit our needs isn't that imagenarry.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what would the future hold for mankind...

I hope humankind collonize other planets, then we can aim for other sollar sistems, hiper-space will allow us to visit other galaxies and do the same there, finelly just before the last star dies in our universe we jump to another universe and descover it has a tiny change in the laws of pheosics and we all parish! =)

Now you people see what 42 IS the awnser to the universe dont you!?!!

Well it would depends on how he would depend intelligent. Animals/insects etc. If those types of things are included I could see it being possible.

But millions of different aliens with capabilities similiar as humans would be hard to think of. Unless of course the universe is almost infinite, then anything is possible.

Terraforming planets to humanities needs could be possible. I'm guessing Mars is 1000 years off of being remotely/premanently habitable. (not the entire planet, but making a space dome or something.)

Well it would depends on how he would depend intelligent. Animals/insects etc. If those types of things are included I could see it being possible.

But millions of different aliens with capabilities similiar as humans would be hard to think of. Unless of course the universe is almost infinite, then anything is possible.

Terraforming planets to humanities needs could be possible. I'm guessing Mars is 1000 years off of being remotely/premanently habitable. (not the entire planet, but making a space dome or something.)

making a space dome on mars is not the same thing.