is there any advantage for units placed on plateau?

Jaekwon01

one thing I can remember is that I once placed 2 Kobras on a rock in a single player mission. they couldn't go there by themselves, I dropped them with adv. carryalls. and as 2 harkonnen devastators passed along, they could fire at them but the devastators could only fire back with their AA rocket but not with the primary weapon system.

infantry definitely has the advantage of not being crushed by tanks if the rocks are only to reach by foot (like stairs that lead to the top or infantry rock).

page 28 (the instruction manual) 

unit feedback display :

line 11 :  also connected to some units you will see a series of red arrows this indicates what height advantage,if any,the unit has.if a sniper is up on a cliff(plateau),he might have a height advantage of tow (displayed by tow arrows),whereas an attacking trooper ,who is on the sand may have a height advantage of one(displayed by one arrow)

ps: also when you put your tanks awy from the sand you dont risk to lose them at worm attaks  :)

yea thx 4 this one

i just looked into my (german) manual

but still the thing is not absulutely clear 4 me

height advantage is indicated by the red arrows ok so far

but whut does height advantage exactly mean?

does this unit have an increased sight/shooting range? more hitpoints whatever

maybe one more experianced dune player couid give me an insight in this advantage aspect

my thought to this was if there is an advantage to those units placed on plateau this would have startegic implications in a match

so my question to those experts is: would it be for example better to place my kindjal on plateau and for example a mino in the sand or would this be equal to just place the kindjals in the sand (besides the worm  aspect)?

Here is a good example Mino vs Cobra.  Now on the sand,(equal hight) if the cobra is deployed the mino can walk up and kill it cause the mino has slightly a better range.  If it is on a rock then the cobra would win easly cause it has the range advantage, and can start shooting while the mino has to walk closer then its range on equal ground levels before it starts to shoot.  LOL I understood that so I hope you can. :P

Here is a good example Mino vs Cobra.  Now on the sand,(equal hight) if the cobra is deployed the mino can walk up and kill it cause the mino has slightly a better range.  If it is on a rock then the cobra would win easly cause it has the range advantage, and can start shooting while the mino has to walk closer then its range on equal ground levels before it starts to shoot.  LOL I understood that so I hope you can. :P

aah

that is the point i was refering to!

as i understand u right the advantage is of a range catgegorie

Apo has said somewhere that the mino and kobra have the same range, and that there is some strange effect that causes the mino to shoot before the kobra does, so someone like me or you will think the mino shoots using a bigger range but its not true.

Just a note. And yes, you can shoot further the higher you are, compared to units lower then you.

page 28 (the instruction manual) 

unit feedback display :

line 11 :  also connected to some units you will see a series of red arrows this indicates what height advantage,if any,the unit has.if a sniper is up on a cliff(plateau),he might have a height advantage of tow (displayed by tow arrows),whereas an attacking trooper ,who is on the sand may have a height advantage of one(displayed by one arrow)

Just which arrows are they talking about ? They dont mean the chevrons |v| thing,so what arrows ? Have I just missed them or were they not implemented ?  ???

hi erjin well actuly no i dont mean the 3 yellow ranking chevrons and the red arows are there , they are not removed just take any unites like cobra or sniper up to a high place and in front of them you will see it its red its clear like that:    >>      they point were the gun is pointing  and i guess they dont effect the range but the benefit is the lower unites just cant see them well and have to get closer to choot at them while they can choot it from normal range so its a sight matter like any other high ground advantege in any battle you can see the enemy but the enemy cant see you. and mayebe one more thing that it works like the infentry rock so you get more armor too but am not sure

anasnake is correct that the red arrows are there i see them now.... they point in the same direction as the gun when the unit is at high elevation.

But i dont know if it really extends their range or if it shortens the range of the enemy units.

Most likely it extends the range of the higher unit as that would be the simplest solution.

Those I have seen, but only one arrow, I have never noticed any more, and I thought they just showed the direction a inf unit was facing, seeing as it can be difficult to tell on inf which way they are looking, compared to a vehicle...

Thanks anasnake  ;D