Refinery placement

Marcel71

Some peoples bases look really nice with all buildings nicely ordered (three refs with backs against eachother) and some people just throw a building on the first empty spot they see....

What is one of the most important things in Emperor, yes, it is Money. (Or better to say SPICE).

The faster the Harvs get the spice to the refs, the faster your money flow goes.

That's why i almost never put my ref's in the back of my base. I always place them as close as possible to the spice field. In that way, they do not have to travel so far to get to the spice and back.

It is off-course just a small advantage that you get from it, but all 'small' advantage can add up... Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 units to decide a battle. That could be those units which you could have bought if your harvesters were a bit faster to the refs....

Another advantage is that the harvs will go for sure to the closest spice field. If it is further away from the spot you want your harvesters to harvest, then sometimes they go and harv in the enemy spicefield. (And the re-routing option is not always working)...

I most of the time place all my refs in the same base. If you don't then the carryals are flying from one base to another. And you will very often see some harvs DRIVING back to the base. Although close to them there is a free carryal, once it gets assigned to a carryal (even when it is at the other base) it will have to wait till that one picks it up. That costs again a lot of valuable time...

Another small detail i try to watch, but i mostly don't succeed in (just with first ref) is to turn the ref in such a way that the arriving carryals do not have to turn around to place the harv correctly on a loading pad.. (sometimes when it is crowded in your base, you can just see them in the air with the harv and turning and turning)

So the rules that i use:

1) Place all refs close to spicefield

2) All refs in 1 base

3) Place the angle of the ref so that arriving carryals do not have to turn around. (this one is optional)

This was just a tip from my side...

I am curious if 'you' were also keeping this in mind when placing refs in your base....

And if you think this might really help to win the game?

I read about the placement of refs in Shirokos faq's, I think. Or was it Emprwms ? Anyway, yes, back-to-back, so you can defend them easier as well, as any drones will attack either your refs or the spice field where your harvs go. Well you can rush some AA there, and in your base, 2-4 turrets can look after the refs for you, if they all together.

Plus it can save space placing them back-to-back.

Yea I used to place refs in the back so they want die but now I always place them closer to spice. 

So the rules that i use:

1) Place all refs close to spicefield

2) All refs in 1 base

3) Place the angle of the ref so that arriving carryals do not have to turn around. (this one is optional)

Normally I do this but when my allies stick all but say 1 of there refs in my base (like 3v3 2 from each of my allys + my 3 is 7 refs which is 21 harvs which 1 spice field can't handle)that in a late game the 1 spice field they go to will be over crowded and hurt spice production.  So if it is safe enough it would be better to stick mine in anothers base.  If the refs are not all in 1 base then its fine to keep all of ur own in ur base.

• 1 year later...