MSN Messenger 7 Beta

Andrew

Anyone got msn messenger 7 beta?

Has some nice additions, but I fear it is more for the teen boppers. I can see people messaging me with tons of crap with the new features. Kinda like the addons for msn that you could download that would make it look bad for people without the addon.

Although if your keyboard screws up, you can write to your friends using the mouse. No more need for the character map copy/paste!

In this version, I see a resemblance to ICQ (not really), but it is getting more bloated.

I could never figure out why everyone started using msn. ICQ was much better back in the day.

Features:

Winks: Winks allow you to send kisses, hearts and all sorts of silly cartoons to your contacts.

Nudge: Nudge allows you to send a "shake" to your contact. Both your own and your contacts MSN Messenger window will shake, much like how Internet Explorer windows shake using the correct javascript.

Bad, bad, bad. Only good thing about that is to annoy other users.

Deluxe Display Pictures: Although these are unavailable it seems like MSN are going to supply animated display pictures.

Ewwwwwwww.

A good alternative is Miranda IM. Although not updated much, you can combine ICQ, msn messenger, yahoo, aim and many more.

Of course you are looking for a link to the file right?

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/4/1/10-4-1-128.shtml

or google it.

MSN is getting more bloated. Most of the window is filled with crap. A small portion is for your contacts. Miranda has a large percentage of room for contacts so you can make it very small. Will not get in the way when doing work, and there are hundreds of plugins.

I could never figure out why everyone started using msn. ICQ was much better back in the day.

It's actually very easy to figure out: ICQ became a waste dump for spam like the email crap... everyday I switched ICQ on after being offline for maybe 8-10 hours, I got 2-5 new messages like "yeah... wanna see me naked and bla bla bla" and some crap links in it... this is why a lot of people I know changed to MSN... although it's a Microsoft product and thus almost as evil as spam :D

Yeah I tried the leaked release of msn 7 BETA a few months back, and uninstalled it a few weeks after microsoft tried to force everone to downgrade back to version 6, for security issues.

The winks feature can be easily exploited by melicious users using clever .swf files, etc....

MSN will continue to be the most commonly used IM program however due to the grip and integration it has with Windows Operating systems and hotmail, Microsoft exerting their monopolistic powers again....

What if I don't WANT you to install MSN messenger (or IE for that matter) with windows, at no point am I given the option.

And yes, the nudge/winks feature was fun for about...2.84 seconds. Just think how much time someone spent working and intgrating that into the program...how sad, lol

MSN will continue to be the most commonly used IM program however due to the grip and integration it has with Windows Operating systems and hotmail, Microsoft exerting their monopolistic powers again....

could be be, although what grip does Microsoft have as a monopoly on the IM market ? It being intergrated with Hotmail has got nothing to do with it's function as an IM client. . and there are a lot more IM clients out there. It's not a monopoly, I use gAIM. . and a friend of mine Trillian. MS has no controle or monopoly over the clients you need to use for MSN.

What if I don't WANT you to install MSN messenger (or IE for that matter) with windows, at no point am I given the option.

If you don't want IE you shouldn't by Microsoft Windows. No one forces you to use Internet Explorer to brouwse the internet. By now every one should know, or atleast realise that IE is what makes Windows so easy to use. Gives it it's interfase and a lot more. If you don't like it feel free not to use it. You don't have to.. . although the changes are you are gon'na like Linux os OSX a lot less then you like Microsoft. ...

I'm not saying Microsoft windows isn't the best operating system for home users as it is, but I wish the didn't use it to shower us with their less quality products.

And yes being linked with hotmail IS a big deal, as when you give out your email address (which is likely to be hotmail amonst teenagers) you give out your IM username aswell. I use the term "monopoly" in a loose tense, I'm talking about almost 100% of people at my school use it. The fact that windows even ASKS you to link your MSN passport to your XP user is a joke.

most people don't care wheter they have internett explorer and msn messenger, and there are better programs. because those programs gives you the service you look for, and the ordinary computer user do not require more sophisticated programs than those. I couldn't dream of a better program than IE and MSN. I think they are wounderful. I don't miss anything about them.

Microsoft is a monopoly...

no they are not. . . and they spend a couple of million dollars to help Apple out of the dark economical pit they where in to keep as far away from being a monopoly.

Microsoft itself realises that the day it becomes a monopoly as you are suggesting. . the Federal Court will be all over them.

About better programms. .. I have one computer with the Adobe CS suite. . the others just have paint or The Gimp. ..not because they are good. . but because I can't afford several copies of Adobe CS. Messenger and IE might or might not be good programms. It's not the user or developer that desides if they are good. . it are the end users and it's the way in which some people are missusing the software..

I couldn't dream of a better program than IE and MSN. I think they are wounderful. I don't miss anything about them.

Dude, you really need to try firefox. Tabbed brosing is something I never realised I needed until I tried it. As for IM, I havent tried the rest but I am shure there are ones out there almost as good/better then IE.

Try them first then say whether you think they are better or worse then IE & MSN. Oh, and your dreams might not be too imaginative as well, so you might not dream up tabbed browsing, just like I didnt.  :D

I greatly dislike ICQ. They use numbers for screennames when you can't pick something for yourself to begin with. Much harder to rememorize.

I've never seen that, except for unknown users. But any of my friends or people I know usually had names and not numbers.

About MSN Messenger, I agree with those who say it's a good service.

It's a user friendly application which allows you instant messanging with your friends.

I also think Internet Explorer is a great browser, if it weren't for one thing. It stuffs your computer full of spyware. Mozilla Firefox, for instance, blocks that spyware, but has poorer support for plugins. Internet Explorer has the best support for plugins, and is quite user friendly too.