pronunciation

Korba

Heighliner I say High-Liner. Laz-Gun I say Laz-Gun, the Laz being pronounced like the first part of the name Lazarous.

Melange looks like a French word, In French, Melange would be a feminine word, so it would be pronounced like Mel-onj-ey. That is, if its meant to sound like a French word, if not, it would be pronounced mel-onj

Well, Nema brings the Greek version of the name Leto to the topic, and I agree with him on the pronounciation of it, since it was an Atreides name, and the Atreides family is supposed to have Greek ancestors. But that brings me to how to pronounce Atreides. Although I didn't hear in a movie (games to it the same way as the movie) or miniserie this way, I pronounce it in the Greek way: Ατρειδης

But I doubt Frank Herbert would have said it in that way, since the "ει" doesn't appear in the English language...

EDIT: Hmm, symbol font doesn't seem to work... I wonder how Nema got it to work (probably used a different technique...)

<|Use unicode when you post|>

the AE sound is in the english language, not a lot but it is. I know it is definitely in many other languages. Also though I know you guys know this, but the english language was not spoken in the dune universe. The language used is kinda a slavik/indo european language of sorts, and there is use of the AE dipthong in those languages.

Hmmm... I thought they spoke the language you read the book in. (as in, to your imagination) Can you direct me to the part of the book that mentions any specific language or language type.

No, because I'm lazy. But the language is called 'Galach.'

Isn't greek Leto a woman name?

Someone said yes, that she was one of Zeus' lovers... actually it was Leta, from the legend of Leta and the swan. Zeus turned into a swan and raped her... if you want to call that "being his lover" than go ahead...

I should go read Dreamers of Dune... I loved finding out that Harkonnen was found in a Cali phone book! That's hilarious.  :D