DUNE Adventure game?

Major_Gilbear

Okay, since the response for modding DoW was so utterly underwhelming, I gave up hoping, and thought about other games to mod.

Recently, I've been gathering together and playing games that I had played in my youth, and revisted a now-lost game genre, the adventure game... This got me thinking:

What about a DUNE-based fan-made adventure game?

It would be played more in the style of the old adventure games (like Monkey Island for example), but would not obviously be in the same style (though it could be I suppose).

Story-wise, I was thinking either the usual DUNE story that has been the subject of all the games so far, or something else.

I think I have the tools, and reckon I could do this. I would appreciate knowing what ppl think though, and whether or not they would be interested in helping out in any way?

Lemme know

Wow. It isn't surprising that there is so little of the DUNE franchise in the gaming world!

Ppl around here can't even be bothered to help out with the merest things (like posting a comment or an idea), let alone even say what they'd like in a game when someone offers to make it... :-[

68 views, and virtually no response. Shame on you lot.

I think a Dune adventure game would be cool, especially if it were based on the original books. There are many possibilities for plots, location and characters. It could easily be an interactive game, since there are so many factions, villages, planets etc.

It isn't an RPG; it is an adventure game. Sorta like Dune 1 or the old Lucas Arts/Sierra games.

Also, I'm not a professional publisher, so a Baldur's Gate is out of the quaestion. I wouldn't expec the makes of the Dune2 clones to turn out an Emperor like game after all!

I've actually gotten on pretty well with the software, but as my art skills are modest to say the least, I'm having to draw the art in MS Paint.

Also, due to the nature of my art skills, the game is 640x480 as the 960x720 makes no difference (since MS Paint is basic, there is a limit to the detail anyway).

Using a 3D modeller, and getting renders would look a hundred times better tho :P

Also, I'm using an "oblique" perspective, but an isometric one would work just as well, perhaps even combining the two.

I hope to post an example soon, but really the only limit as far as I can see (and judging by other examples of work) is how good a coder/artist/scriptwriter/gamemaker you are  ;)

I do however need help. I'd like some suggestions, loose plot ideas, art, whatever ppl can contribute. Otherwise this is going to be a limited offering.

I see ppl saying that they'd like a new Dune game with such-and-such, and that it should be a certain way. Well, here's your chance to contribute and get your ideas made into a playable game.

That's the problem, in adventure you have a little freedom, so player expects at least much detail in tasks he faces. Perhaps it would be better to make it as an RPG. If you see, Dune 1 had some RPG elements too, tough very low. With more RPG points it would be less ant-work and more playability, that's what both creator and consumer wants  ;D

The AGS can be found here: http://www.agsforums.com/ . Please check it out and see the sorts of things that can be done. There are many sample games, some better than others. Very few use good GFX, with most using a more cartoony approach. This isn't to say it couldn't be otherwise however.

@Andrew

Well, I did intend to follow the books, yes. But prolly not all 6! :O

I don't know if even a whole book would need to be follwed; In the Dune books, there are many subplots. The player could simply be a cog in one of those, and have to get their little bit of intrigue to fruition.

For example, you might play as a member of the Qizarate in Dune Messiah. You are involved in the stoneburner plot, and have to make sure it is successful (ie, goes off when Paul is near). To do so, you would have to get information, acquire favours, arrange the stoneburner's transport, etc.

I'm just using this as an example, but really the emphasis I want to place on the game is one of interaction and exploration, rather than one of direct combat. I want player to experience aspects of the Dune worlds that the other (current) games don't, and to use their wits to solve the various hurdles on the way to the game's completion.

I feel that the adventure game would best fulfill this, and allow me to make the game (my skills are limited!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, since there is so little interest in this project (and I'm in the middle of another RA2 TC anyway), I think I'm gonna put this on a backburner for now.

Really, I had hoped that ppl would actually post more ideas and such  ??? . As there are only a score of replies (half of which are mine!) in this topic, it indicates that there is no interest.

I have made a good start on an example, and I may post it up to show in the future. In the meantime, if anybody has any suggestions, please post them: when/if I pick this up in a few months' time I can incorporate any good ideas.

Thanks in the meantime to all those that did post.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleeeeaaase let this thread be alive! Finally someone with the programming skills to pull such a thing off (or I think so). Guess what, I'm an artist, and I've wanted to do such a thing (a remake of Dune 1, or better yet, a sequel) for a looong time. If you're going through with this and you want my help, contact me at pencilgod@hotmail.com . I'm quite good, I have been a super moderator on the largest Warcraft III modding board around (for my skinning and graphics skills) and several of my winamp skins have been featured on winamp.com. So I think together we could, in theory, pull this off :D.

Yeah, that should be right, because I tried to start such a project a half year ago, but I couldn't find a programmer! I forgot to mention I also make music, so I could also do the music for the game.

I hope Major Gilbear replies soon, or else I might have to start to learn that adventure game editor myself.