Mozilla FireFox

BTW are all aware that Flash addons add resistant 'cookies' (DOM) that cannot be deleted with your browser's delete function?

You have to delete them manually or using an addon.

I found almost a hundred of those and practically all of them were useless.

BTW are all aware that Flash addons add resistant 'cookies' (DOM) that cannot be deleted with your browser's delete function?

You have to delete them manually or using an addon.

I found almost a hundred of those and practically all of them were useless.

or reinstall the browser.

Come on, why to reinstall when an add on can do the job for you in a snap?

Hmm... A couple of days and Flash didn't crash. I uninstalled flash and reinstalled to no avail but now crashes do not occur. Maybe I have to check if specific pages or flv's are responsible. My wife watched more than a 100 movies in youtube without a crash.

I dunno if it is relevant but today I downloaded a video with StreamTransport with .flv extension and could not jump to other position. It crashed Media Player and Media Player Classic (K Lite). But it works in VLC.

Firefox 3.6.4 has been released.

Absolutely make sure to upgrade to this version.

Release Notes

Firefox 3.6.4 provides uninterrupted browsing for Windows and Linux users when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins.

If a plugin crashes or freezes, it will not affect the rest of Firefox. You will be able to reload the page to restart the plugin and try again.

So when flash (or any plugin) decides to explode, it shouldn't cause firefox to explode. Also some very important security updates.

slashdot discussion

Not sure when Ubuntu will be upgrading all Firefox in >=8.04 versions. My guess is by the weekend so they can test it first.

• 1 month later...

I think I fell asleep twice to Seth's dialogue but Firefox looks to be adding what worked in Chrome and Opera and make it its own. The stop button feature is funny if you've used Chrome and had petty trouble with its location to the right of the URL bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mozilla Reschedules Firefox 4 RC For Early 2011

On the one hand glad they are making sure everything works and taking time. On the other, chromium nightly (probably stable version as well) is much faster. So waiting 3-4 months for final firefox 4 will be difficult. I'm not ready to mess with my firefox install using 4.0 betas etc.

I already set up someones old computer with Lubuntu 10.10 and updated stable chromium to chromium nightly which the kids will use. The OS and everything runs off 2gb usb stick, since hdd died (IDE!), and another used hdd I tried was almost dead as well. So running off usb is fine for what they need. Although it was an old/slow 2gb usb. They didn't get my 4gb rally2 which is 2-3 times faster. :P I'm sure my rally2 (30mb/s read 15mb/s write) on usb2.0 would be similar speed to IDE 80gb hdd anyways.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firefox 4 Slips Out Early

[colour=#005FFF]The latest version of Mozilla's browser is already available for download. It's meant to be released tomorrow, so not much of a headstart. In truth, there aren't many changes from RC2, but this link is for those who were waiting for the official release before grabbing the next iteration. The link in the article is for EN-US users - for those in different languages, simply change the last part of the URL to match your localisation (e.g. EN-GB).[/colour]

I'm so excited for tomorrow. Even though I've been running it since beta 7 or so. Gotta spread the word when official tomorrow through facebook. I'll provide a link to Mozilla website, and also for current firefox users "help->check for updates" I think that is it for firefox 3.6

Hmm, reading this prompted me to check if Firefox isn't loading an update automatically (I experienced an unexpected lag a few minutes ago), and it tells me it's loading v3.6.16 (the previous version being 3.6.14). A consecutive update (current -> 3.6.16 -> 4) or something else?

Yep, you will update to newest 3.6.x first. Then it will ask you for 4.0 (or just got to help->check for updates once newest 3.6.x installed).

Firefox will not automatically/forced upgrade from 3.6.x to 4. I think it just shows a popup dialog asking if you want to upgrade.

Upgraded to 4, thanks for the tip :)

So far, I like it.

[Edit] The only thing is, I haven't got used yet to the fact that the "open in a new window" and "open in a new tab" options in the right-click menu are now swapped.

[Edit2] Even though I have it set to always ask what action to perform when a link to a PDF document is clicked, Firefox loads the Acrobat plug-in and opens the PDF document in the same tab as the page with the link. I've had this problem in Firefox 3 too. Any workaround? Maybe that's because my Acrobat Reader is outdated?

Upgraded to 4, thanks for the tip :)

So far, I like it.

[Edit] The only thing is, I haven't got used yet to the fact that the "open in a new window" and "open in a new tab" options in the right-click menu are now swapped.

[Edit2] Even though I have it set to always ask what action to perform when a link to a PDF document is clicked, Firefox loads the Acrobat plug-in and opens the PDF document in the same tab as the page with the link. I've had this problem in Firefox 3 too. Any workaround? Maybe that's because my Acrobat Reader is outdated?

I've heard about new tab/window thing too. Although I think it was a good change. I almost always use new tab instead of window, so it is now closer/easier to click.

Not sure about PDF. Maybe set it to adobe, apply, restart, then change back to ask?

If you only read/print simple pdf, then I'd suggest using sumatrapdf as it is lightweight and fast.

• Upvote 1

If you only read/print simple pdf, then I'd suggest using sumatrapdf as it is lightweight and fast.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Back to Firefox 4, there seems to be a slowdown when multiple tabs are loading simultaneously. I think it was much less noticeable in the previous versions.

Working with a new profile seems to have helped, but not with the Adobe thing, which is weird. Anyway, thanks for the advice! :)

Also, using the new profile somehow fixed a few issues with the interface on our forum that I experienced :D