Mozilla FireFox

I try as well. Although a couple of my friends refuse to use it (they are used to IE). And then they were talking about facebook and how they wished it had spellcheck.... sigh. Although I did put hosts file so they don't see ads since they are on dailup.

But I've converted most people (especially computer illiterate, as they are easy targets :P). Although that evil WLM opens up IE and not the default browser so they use that for hotmail and other stuff. I guess I know why MS forces WLM to use its own software. MS doesn't even follow its own "default" software which they have in the OS.

I can't wait for FF3. Supposed to have lots of memory and processor fixes. So far 350 memory leak fixes.

Funny comic:

http://xkcd.com/198/

Interesting to see the progress with beta 4 in the link I provided earlier.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.0b4

They got done with 4 things yesterday.

EDIT:

New beta was released.

Here is a blog about memory management and fixes from a developer.

Firefox 3 Memory Usage

• 4 weeks later...

Firefox Gains On Internet Explorer In Businesses

Nice to hear. More competition = better browsers.

New beta 5 out

Firefox 3 Beta 5 Release Notes

Firefox 3 Beta 5 includes more than 750 changes from the previous beta
Speed: improvements to our Javascript engine as well as profile guided optimizations have resulted in continued improvements in performance. Compared to Firefox 2, web applications like Google Mail and Zoho Office run twice as fast in Firefox 3 Beta 5, and the popular SunSpider test from Apple shows improvements over previous releases.

So firefox 3 in some areas runs twice as fast as firefox 2. And with most memory leaks fixed it should run better for longer periods of time.

Anyone on windows using the betas? Do the betas update each time a new beta is released?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firefox Infects Vietnamese Users With Trojan Code

So a user submitted language pack contained a virus and was uploaded to addons.mozilla.org. The users computer was infected and they did not know about this when uploading a html help file for the plugin (virus was not in html file, just the result of the virus which was ads).

It was online since February, with the virus having an April 14 timestamp. So this virus was unknown to antivirus vendors for 2 months. Then finally when someone noticed the virus, reported it and the addon was taken down in the same day. Actually the addon was taken down in less than an hour of the bug report.

That's good response time.

The virus was not listed in Mozillas antivirus scanner (thus not detectable at the time).

They scanned the entire addons site with up to date virus scanner after this report and it was the only file infected. Now Mozilla might scan the entire addons site every day.

Firefox 3.0rc1 release schedule still has not changed. :(

EDIT:

Changes have been made to firefox RC wiki. So hopefully RC is released in a couple days.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, now i'm wondering if this Virus is what I just recovered from. I had installed SP3 for XP,then shortly after getting a Firefox update my PC was pwned. I mean nothing helped against this thing, C: Drive was gone,restore was gone,not even windows explorer was available to access. Couldn't even get an online scan.Only thing that helped was a Format...period. it was like a combo of an adware/virus attack. I haven't had anythning like that one in years. Hijack this did'nt even help at all.It was one wicked Virus is all I can say.

My previous post about the virus was not much of a virus on firefox. It simply showed advertisements inside a language pack help file. That's all it did. The language pack did not come with the virus itself, but just the effects of the virus (files being infected with ads).

This occurred because the person who maintains the language pack got a virus on his computer without knowing (it took 2 months for antivirus vendors to detect it, go windows!). When he updated his language pack his help file was affected by the virus.

So there is extremely little chance you got this virus, unless you installed the vietnamese language pack. And even if you did it would not have affected your computer (just some some ads within the help file that came with the language pack).

• 2 weeks later...

Firefox 3.0 has been released

www.getfirefox.com

For non United States languages select "Other Systems and Languages" which brings you to here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

EDIT:

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/

Mozilla.com web traffic is pushing well over 2 Gigabits a second of just pure HTTP traffic. That is in addition to the 13 Gigabits a second or so of download traffic. We are still at around 14,000 download/minute and mozilla.com is responding well! Go Mozilla community and IT team!

That's a lot of bandwidth. If they are able to sustain 14,000 downloads each minute that is 20 million downloads in 24 hours.

Downloaded it and using it now.  Seems to have some problems loading the full version of Windows Live Hotmail, and it's not compatible with TabMixPlus or the AVG SafeSearch add-on, but otherwise it looks and operates quite nicely.

Hopefully the above issues are just teething problems. :)

heh, I remember a year or two ago hotmail did not work in firefox 2.0 for me (I think it was impossible to send an email).

Which meant I had to use IE. You'd almost think they intentionally did not write hotmail to be standards specific to run in any browser... Probably true, since they don't write Live Messenger to use windows specific standards to use the standard web browser. It defaults to IE even if you tell it that firefox is your default web browser. I guess it is all for the best interests of their users to force them to use certain software. ;)

I've heard other people had problems with avg. Hopefully avg will fix that in the future.

EDIT:

It appears the firefox executable file I downloaded is corrupt. I get an "Execution failed: File is corrupt" error. I'm downloading it again. Must have gotten corrupt when it was downloading last time at slow speeds (it is smaller filesize than it is supposed to be by about 1 mb). First time took about 30 minutes to download, now it is taking 2 minutes.

Installed fine with second download. Now on to the daunting task of sorting my bookmarks which I havn't done in a couple months. *shudder*

EDIT:

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Show how many downloads and how many from each country. So far more than 2 million downloads.

A lot more downloads than pledges. Very interesting.

Don't wait for the update notification, download it now for the record :)

Initial reaction to firefox 3 on windows is that it is faster than firefox 2. I'll still have to get used to awesomebar. I am used to typing in say

slas

and slashdot.org would be first to choose from. Now it is a bunch of random pages that I have already visited at slasdot.org. Looks like it sorts them according to the last time you visited the page. Which for me is kinda silly. I want to type in the first couple letters of the website, press down key and press enter key and get to the website. I don't want the last page I visited with the keyword in it to appear first.

Must be an option somewhere to disable this. Or I'll get used to it.

EDIT:

Firefox 3 was mentioned on Colbert report!

Decent thing to show downloads

http://downloadcounter.sj.mozilla.com/

If you wait a bit it will start calculating the numbers continuously.

Over 8,000,000 Mozilla Firefox 3 Downloads in 24 Hours

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

http://downloadcounter.sj.mozilla.com/

Looks like the download counter is still counting and they are at >11 million downloads.

It will be interesting how many autoupdates they get when they turn that on. It will update firefox for people who had know idea a new version was released. I can think of 3 or 4 neighbors who will have theirs upgraded this way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firefox 3.0.1 was released.

*  Fixed  several security issues.

* Fixed several stability issues.

* Fixed an issue where the phishing and malware database did not update on first launch.

* Under certain circumstances, Firefox 3.0 did not properly save the SSL certificate exceptions list.

* Updated the internal Public Suffix list.

* In certain cases, installing Firefox 2 in the same directory in which Firefox 3 has been installed resulted in Firefox 2 being unstable. This issue was fixed as part of Firefox 2.0.0.15.

* Fixed an issue where, when printing a selected region of content from the middle of a page, some of the output was missing (bug 433373).

* Fixed a Linux issues where, for users on a PPP connection (dialup or DSL) Firefox always started in "Offline" mode (bug 424626).

• 5 months later...

Firefox 3.0.5 released

Firefox 3.0.5 fixes several issues found in Firefox 3.0.4:

* Fixed several security issues.

* Fixed several stability issues.

* Official releases for the Bengali, Esperanto, Galician, Hindi, and Latvian languages are now available.

* Replaced the End-User License Agreement with a new "Know Your Rights" info bar on initial install.

* When installing multiple signed XPIs simultaneously, previous versions of Firefox would fail.

* Fixed several issues found in the accessibility implementation.

* Added the ability to send OS-specific system notes in the crash reporter.

EDIT:

wow, firefox 3.0.5 was released on ubuntu fast. Pretty important security update. Don't normally see it updated the same day as release.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Proprietary Flash on ubuntu works good for me. Sometimes it is a bit messed up (stuff flashing in background behind video). But for most part I can watch videos no problem at youtube (maybe more problems with compiz enabled).

I don't know about silverlight. On linux it is called moonlight. It supposedly works, but I don't think anybody cares for it (except for MS websites).

• 1 month later...

Attention NoScript users

Noscript developers are corrupt and hijacked adblock+ so that advertisements would be displayed on noscript update webpages so they could make money.

Guess I'll remember not to use noscript, even though it was usually recommended to prevent websites from doing stuff you did not want.

I know download helper extension does same thing. A new update every 2 weeks minimum and they have ads plastered all over their website which shows up when you update.

Nope. Won't happen. They are gaming the system to provide profits.

If you go to mozilla addon website, the "most popular" addons are the ones that are updated most often. Thus it increases their total number of downloads.

mozilla addons most popular

Some at the top are the ones updated frequently, then send you to a page when updated plastered with ads and "changelog".

EDIT:

firefox at 270 million users

Heh, the graphic shows that IE growth has stopped and Firefox and other web browsers are taking over.

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno if you are a spambot magico, but the link you put on bottom of your post makes it look like you are. On the other hand you made a good post in the gaming board that would show you are not a bot.

To answer your question, yes there is british english.

Go to:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

Download British English version. spellchecker comes with firefox by default.