Mozilla FireFox

• 1 month later...

http://farm.tucows.com/2004/11/too_many_toolbars.jpg

for funny picture of IE with too many toolbars.

IE got tabbed browsing through the msn toolbar.

For screenshot

http://www.betanews.com/slideshow/Tabbed_Browsing_in_IE6/17

IE seems to take up too much room at the top. Will have to wait for IE7 beta. Not that I will be using it. Unless it supports plugins, themes etc etc.

An updated set of filters for ad-block plugin.

http://www.pierceive.com.nyud.net:8090/

Lots of stuff. Will have to see how good it works.

I recently found

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Which is supposed to keep all tracking cookies and banners and a bunch of stuff from reaching your computer. Although more complicated.

Gonna try Torrent bar and Flashgot plugins as well.

EDIT - Flashgot is not much good for me as I don't use any download managers.

Anyone reccommend using one of these download managers that are supported by flashgot?

1. FlashGet

2. Free Download Manager

3. Fresh Download

4. GetRight

5. HiDownload

6. InstantGet

7. Internet Download Accelerator

8. LeechGet 2002

9. LeechGet 2004

10. LeechGet 2005

11. Mass Downloader

12. Net Transport

13. NetAnts

14. ReGet Deluxe

15. ReGet Junior

16. ReGet Pro

17. Star Downloader

18. Thunder (Chinese language only)

19. TrueDownloader

20. Ukraininan Download Master (Russian language only)

21. WellGet

Some sites only work well with IE for me. When I come across one, I just use the View in IE link within myFirefox, and view the page, then close IE :P

how do you do that??? iv just recently also switched sides in the browser revolution... and it is alot faster on dial up... and you can browse you HDDs, it just looks like a website that has no start page, sortoff ftp... my spread firefox link! get you own also... hey, gobby, why dont you get one for fed2k???

EDIT: click here to sign up...

http://ieview.mozdev.org/

There are many plugins you may be interested in. Just check out mozdev.

EDIT:

I got Free Download Manager and it seems to work fine. Works good with Firefox. Seems better than using Firefox's download manager, at least for large files.

Dr.Web anti-virus link checker sounds like a good plugin. Havnt tried it. Might in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Firefox 1.0.6 has been released. 1.0.5 was released but there was a mistake in it. So they updated it again in less than a week.

My autoupdate thing went off just now.

I installed GreaseMonkey plugin. Not bad.

Scripts can be found here.

I'm currently using the Fark and cnn.com scripts. Removes crap I don't want :).

From the greasemonkey main page:

A severe security issue has been discovered in Greasemonkey versions prior to 0.3.5 as well as the early 0.4 alphas which some people may have installed.

Install Greasemonkey 0.3.5 or uninstall Greasemonkey immediately.

That's why I have 0.3.5 version installed. :)

Which is safe to use.

Man, I just got 1.05. Whats up, this is meant to be better then ie...ok, so I guess that they are always working and updating it means it is. But why...oh, never mind.

Whats greasemonkey all about ?

------- edit --------

Having updated, its now showing that symbol up top that says updates available. I click it, and it find updates for my computer...only its empty. Just to be a git, I click update, and it says it is downloading..

So I got freaked it might break my FF and stopped it. Somethings not right...

Anyone else got that ?

Having updated
You mean to version 1.0.6?

I havn't gotten that.

You could always uninstall firefox and install 1.0.6. I don't think you lose bookmarks or settings or plugins.

Spectral Paladin

Reload Every is a plugin that reloads a webpage every so many seconds/minutes.

Grease monkey uses scripts to make a webpage look different than before.

Take www.fark.com for example. I installed a script for it that only shows the links. The left and right side frames are completetly gone.

It is also used to get rid of certain ads.

Great plugin if you can find websites you frequent that have scripts for them.

EDIT:

Seems to have lots of general browsing scripts. Havn't tried them yet.

There is also one for www.boingboing.com that removes the side frames. No ads, just the blog.

• 1 month later...

Tabbrowser Extension homepage.

This extension strongly unrecommended. Tab Mix is recommended instead of this, because it is stable, light, and it covers most useful features of this.
This extension is strongly unrecommended by Mozilla Foundation. See advantage and disadvantage before you download this. If you wish to install this even if you read those comments, do it at your own risk.

:-

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox 1.5 beta 1 is out. I installed it seamlessly without any problems, although some plugins might not work because they are "not" compatible (although you can go to http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=node/view/18432 to learn how to make them work).

I like 1.5 beta, although my only problem is the space between my bookmark list is larger than before. Although, according to firefox release notes

If you encounter strange problems relating to bookmarks, downloads, window placement, toolbars, history, or other settings, it is recommended that you try creating a new profile and attempting to reproduce the problem before filing bugs. Create a new profile by running Firefox with the -P command line argument, choose the "Manage Profiles" button and then choose "Create Profile...". Migrate your settings files (Bookmarks, Saved Passwords, etc) over one by one, checking each time to see if the problems resurface. If you do find a particular profile data file is causing a problem, file a bug and attach the file.

I have no idea how to do a -p command...

Make a shortcut to the app, and right click and click on properties. In the line that reads target, go to the end and enter the -p.

Then click "ok" and double click the shortcut. It will use the -p switch everytime you use the shortcut, so only use it when you want to create a profile.

• 2 weeks later...