Mozilla FireFox

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?action=faq

>:D

I've got some friends to convert, it's quite easy, as I'm the "expert" with the computers. And what I say must be true. :P

Also quite easy when the university has firefox and openoffice installed on all computers (although IE is still on them, along with corel on all and MS office on the ones in the business building).

But once openoffice 2.0 comes out, I will probably be recommending it. Mostly because it is free and legal. Gonna try to get friends to convert to Miranda also, but will be waiting until 0.4.0 is released.

Opensource rocks.

Yes they are superior. But if you don't have $2000 to buy the software, then obviously they are not superior in all situations when you can download a free, legal product that has many similiar features.

MSN is in no way a superior IM client and IE 6 is not superior to Firefox or several other web browsers. That is for sure. I don't think msn messenger or IE have changed much in the last 5 years. Everything else probably is superior. And microsoft is a monopoly and only cares about profits and market share. They don't care about the end consumer unless they have $$.

Well, I might not say that, as it costs $399.00 USD. That's probably $500 CAD without taxes. I could get along with a free product and spend $500 on some other computer accessory.

EDIT - Student/teacher edition costs $149.00 USD. Migrht be worth that if it has same functionality as regular version.

Yes they are superior. But if you don't have $2000 to buy the software, then obviously they are not superior in all situations when you can download a free, legal product that has many similiar features.

MSN is in no way a superior IM client and IE 6 is not superior to Firefox or several other web browsers. That is for sure. I don't think msn messenger or IE have changed much in the last 5 years. Everything else probably is superior. And microsoft is a monopoly and only cares about profits and market share. They don't care about the end consumer unless they have $$.

$2000 to buy all the software, what software are we talking here? The same high prices are attached to quality products such as Photoshop and Macromedia products.

The student edition of office (ALL the basic microsoft software packages such as Excel, Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, etc...) does not cost that much... great value for money in my opinion.

Firefox still cannot be practical in a business environment at times due to compatability. Like to see you trying to use sharepoint with this superior browser  ;) 

MSN messenger is equal in most respects to other IM systems and is by far the most commonly used, so why deviate? MSN has no need to change, why clutter it with features?

Microsoft have put so much resources and investment into R&D, its no surprise their products are of a higher quality, so you have to pay the extra for that. To practically all company's the end-user is merely a client, but microsoft continues to deliver performance with USER FRIENDLY quality.

Yeah, I must agree though, the arrogance for a company to care about profits and market share ::)

Everyone likes the underdog....

MSN messenger is equal in most respects to other IM systems and is by far the most commonly used, so why deviate? MSN has no need to change, why clutter it with features?

Why does that sound so wrong ?

Why cant it have features and be laid out in a non cluttered way ? What makes you seem to think that features = clutter ?

Firefox still cannot be practical in a business environment at times due to compatibility. Like to see you trying to use sharepoint with this superior browser ;)

There is a plug in in Firefox that with 2 clicks opens the web page in IE. (IEView)

So if for some reason a website is not compatible with Firefox, *right click*, *left click*, IE opens on that website.

Actually, Miranda takes up less space and memory than Messenger when only the basic install. The fact that you can download plugins and customize it in any way possible makes it better. You don't like a feature? You can change it. You want a feature? You can add it, and if you are a programmer, you can create any plug in you want.

Hmm, Look at

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15794.0;id=857

And tell me what looks more cluttered. :P (And it takes *minimal* memory/space to make it look like that (less than messenger itself))

Currently it looks much better than in that pic too. In a non cluttered way.

The Miranda - Dev is part of an rss feed and alerts me when a new post is up (new test version of program)

The UPEI contact is to tell me when a certain part of the website changes, because I want to know when a course is not full so I can register.

The weather contact tells me the current weather conditions

The two gmail contacts alert me to when I receive an email in one of my accounts.

Even with the plug ins, still less cluttered than messenger which has stuff on it I never use (all the left tabs, search, ads , etc)

Miranda currently uses less than 5mb of memory (ram), even with 26 plug ins installed to add more functionality.

Messenger uses 12.5 mb memory (ram) and takes up 4 times the desktop space Miranda does.

There is no argument for messenger being a better IM client than others.

About the $2000, I was probably overstating it. :(

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

http://messenger.msn.com/

Oddly, I can not find which version they are now offering, if it is the new msn 7 or the 6.2 version.

EDIT - It is in the header of the web broser.

Microsoft Messenger 7, Spaces Released

Microsoft started late Wednesday new services that look to integrate potential advertising deeper within the Messenger services.

The MSN updates are mainly aimed at making the company`s services more interactive, as it takes on challengers such as rising Internet telephony startup Skype Technologies.

Messenger 7 have been optimized for advertising, allowing marketers to tout brands in brief video commercials, text ads, links to Web sites, and banner spaces, among other sponsorship options.

Microsoft is launching the program with German sportswear maker Adidas Salomon-AG based in Herzogenaurach and Sprite, made by Coca-Cola .

I always thought there advertising was not up to date. Because that is what I use messenger for ;)

Ice_Cube, you are right. Miranda is not for everyone. Especially those used to messenger and who are not prepared to spend some time configuring Miranda. I had some trouble myself setting up Miranda, but it has been well worth it. Once you learn how to use it, you don't need to learn again. Don't think webcam or certain games are compatible. To each his own. Think they are coming out with .4 public release version within a month.

Microsoft is launching the program with German sportswear maker Adidas Salomon-AG

Adidas is German?! :O

I have decided to stop using FireFox. It uses too much memory compared to Internet Explorer. I'm not just refering to the amount of physical memory it uses ('Mem Usage' column in Task Manager) but the amount of virtual memory it uses too ('VM Size' column in Task Manager). It can use a total of over 64 MB at times, even with one tab.

It also starts up slower than Internet Explorer. I'll keep it installed, but it will no longer be my default browser.

Yeah, so nice and bloated. So full of shit you don't need. You have to pay for being on the intarweb.

Opera is good, but not as good as Firefox.

Starts up slower because it is not tied into windows like Internet Explorer.

That can be fixed. Make a shortcut, and put this in the targetline:

"C:Program FilesMozilla Firefoxfirefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

Oh, and for those who want to advertise, I blatantly stole an image from someone:

firefox1qr.jpg

Have fun with it.

I have decided to stop using FireFox. It uses too much memory compared to Internet Explorer. I'm not just refering to the amount of physical memory it uses ('Mem Usage' column in Task Manager) but the amount of virtual memory it uses too ('VM Size' column in Task Manager). It can use a total of over 64 MB at times, even with one tab.

FireFox is known to have memory leak problems, after prolonged browsing you will notice a slow down in your systems performance....

Hopefully these issues will be further addressed in future updates  :)

When the Whos Online Page for emperor goes wacky and tells me about database connections (or some other error) CPU utlisation goes to 100%. Emperor slows down and I got to kill it. I never found the page useful with IE (didnt have autoreload, so it was never up-to-date) so I am not sure if it is a specific FireFox bug, but I suspect it is.