Mozilla FireFox

I just downloaded Firefox a couple of days ago.  I have to say that I'm loving it.  It's so much better than Internet Explorer, and Tab Browsing is so damned handy!  Seriously, I haven't found a problem with it yet.  I love the download manager so much, I even uninstalled GetRight.

Yep, Firefox is the browser for me. ;D

IE does ftp-upload, sometimes it works well but often i simply can't upload with IE.

one thing that IE do and FireFox can not is acting as a windows-explorer.

It can do it, at least in my V1 it can. It looks something like "file:///C:windows" Or something...

But it can do it. Looks like FTP layout though  :'(

It can do it, at least in my V1 it can. It looks something like "file:///C:windows" Or something...

But it can do it. Looks like FTP layout though  :'(

Open up firefox and type in "C:" I think you were just browsing your C: drive.....

anyways, yes the ftp protocol does work, try going here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/

firefox will display (some) of the contents held on their servers.

There was a firefox extension called "fireFTP" that is a more professional FTP browser.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the "Browse the HD" feature, not the FTP feature.

When Firefox browses the HD, it reads as "file:///c:/dowcuments and settings....etc" in the address bar,like that. As for FTP, it can read/download from FTPs but not upload, as far as I know.

I am going to try to make the switch now, but I can not get the internet buttons on my keyboard to work with Firefox. When I press it it opens up firefox, but doesn't go to the website, it just goes to

http://redirect.paviliondownload.com/configPages/en/config1.htm

And my buttons are set for the websites, and I pressed apply too.

Can't find any solutions.

Any help? I can't make the switch over if my internet buttons on keyboard do not work with firefox.

Andrew, How did you select Firefox as the program to run ? Did you manually point to it from inside your keyboard config program ? Or is it default browser, and so it pops up when you hit Internet-Website button ?

If you manually entered it, you can browse to the program file, firefox, and select it, and then see if it is possible to add the name of the website after the name of the website you want it to go to.

Firefox will open the website it is passed after the program name.

sorry, didn't understand erjin999,

Np, My fault for not being specific.

yup, you can't upload using firefox, but to be honest, anyone that uses IE to browse and download off an FTP server I feel sorry for...;D

Feel sorry for me then, I used to use it for some quick uploading here and there.

Now FireFox and an FTP client, though.

I had Firefox as my default browser. I would press the button and firefox would open up and bring me to http://redirect.paviliondownload.com/configPages/en/config1.htm

even though the button was configured to go to my normal web sites.

Here is a picture of my keyboard button settings look like.

So I tried to reset the websites, but that did nothing. My only guess is that it has to connect to HP server to go to my link, or something. redirect.pavilion. .... or something like that when I press a button and at the bottom of browser says it is looking for that, then goes to the website I choose.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Instead of opening a web page, can you make it open a program ? If so you could try to open Firefox and give it the web page as a parameter by entering it after the program name...only thing I can think of.

I made a short cut like this...C:program filesfirefoxfirefox.exe www.dune2k.com/forum/

Maybe HP have an updated keyboard config thing ?

Well I have several buttons that are used to open programs, maybe it will work.

Doesn't seem to. I cant target a program like firefox, because everytime I press the button it opens a new firefox window (and doesn't go anywhere).

WAIT. what you said does work, it opens firefox and goes to the website, but it keeps opening new windows everytime I press the button (which it is not supposed to).

No update for my keyboard that I know of.

k, there are options in FF (getting lazy, "IE" style !  :P)...have you got Tab Browser Extensions ?

Get that from somewhere first, it might help.

Then we going to try to make it open only new windows when YOU ask it to, although it might not work, worth a try, plus, tab extensions rule.

If you do have it, look for the options to only open new windows when you want to manually open them....or something like that, will find out for oyu when I am not dying of sleep...

"Tab Extensions" as opposed to Tabbed Browsing, which you are right, FF does as standard (Go FF, Go FF, Go FF ! Ahem.. :-[).

Tab Browser Extension is an Extension for FF. Extensions are cool little add-ons that turn FF from a IE beater to a IE ass whooooper ! Get the Tabbed Browser Extension from:

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/ <== look here for more groovey extensions

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tbe <== The actual one we want.

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/ <== Even more groovey stuff

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&numpg=&category=Tabbed%20Browsing <== Related, think I have this too, but it might not be the one we need to try to solve your problem, heck get it anyway !

Oh, and just in case you haven't, get the All-in-One gestures extension. Its equal to tabbed broswer extension in importance. Open new tabs, windows, close tabs, navigate between tabs, use it to go back and forward in each tab...etc...etc.. I started to do that in Windows Explorer now, I got so used to it !  :'(

Download the extensnion and try what I suggested in previous post, hope we can get you converted.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use the Noia Theme as their preferred FireFox skin?  It can be found here.  It works in conjunction with the Tabbed Browsing Extensions that Erjin999 suggested, and it makes the icons look a lot cooler.  It also adds a lot more icons, effects, colours, etc.

Seriously, give it a shot.  Have a look at some of the others while you're there, but I think this one rocks. :P

erjin999 I did what you said, and so far it has worked.

The only problem I see is that I have the forum put into my keyboard program.

It shows up http://www.dune2k.com/FORUM/  I have no idea why the forum is in caps. And if it is in caps, it will not go to the page (just the error page).

Hmm.

http://www.dune2k.com/FORUM/INDEX.PHP?BOARD=2.0

And that still gives me the Fed2k Error Loading Page

So I can not use links that have more than just the main page. wow.

Maybe I am missing an option, but I don't see how. I tried typing the ending url part in caps, but that doesn't work.

Help! so close....

The extension is pretty darn cool too!

EDIT -

http://pei.cbc.ca/SERVLET/WEATHER?QUERY=CHARLOTTETOWN&REGION=CHARLOTTETOWN&TIMEZONE=AMERICA/HALIFAX

doesn't work either because of the caps.

So it is just the weather and fed2kforum links that do not work on my buttons, as they are the only two that have extra stuff after the .com, .ca etc.

Damn. why is it in caps ? Are you entering it manually or is it like saving a page to a button automatically ?

I have thought about using hosts file to redirect any request for dune2k (or even a fake IP) to dune2k.com/forum but it doesnt want to work yet.  :(

Will think of another way to fix it. In the mean time can you not edit the address line ?

Also, try this. Enter www.erjin999.com and save that to a button. then restart the computer (to make shure the setts are saved to your registry) and then when it has resrtaed, go to regedit (Start | Run | Regedit) and search for www.erjin999.com (or just erjin). If you find it then remember the location, and set the button to what it should be (www.dune2k.com/forum/) then go back there once its saved and manually change it to lowercase.

Hope that made some sense.

I enter it manually. Then I hit apply and try the button but it goes to the error page because forum is in caps. It automatically puts the forum in caps which is shown in the image. I try putting it in non caps.

I will try to put it in noncaps, then reboot. But I may not be rebooting for a day or so. Even though my keyboard thing screwed up and now 1/2 my desktop is blocked. I hate that bug.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

I am not sure about messing with the registry. Guess I will just have to live with it. :)

And when I search the registry, I do not find www.dune2k.com in the registry, or any other of my button links.

Therefor I do not see how registry can help. My guess is that a file contains the urls that go to the HP website which then direct me to the website.

Not a problem.

Seems a lot of Fed2k people are using firefox, seen 6 people next to each other using it.

Boing, Boing a website has a 31.3% market share for Firefox.

A web browser tracker website has Firefox/mozilla/netscape using 7% market share.

I think the biggest step to take would be to get public schools and universities to fully convert to firefox. My university has mozilla, but I don't think mozilla software has firefox in it. (or does it?)

I installed ForecastFox extension, yet I have been unable to get it to work.

It is insatlled, but there are no options associated with it, and I can not find a way to activate it.

I rebooted computer also.

Edit - Nevermind got it to work. Must not have installed properly the first time.

Quite a valuable tool to me. Would be nice if there was an option to just show the next night's weather, and not all of the nights. edit - It does. but it is currently morning so it isnt showing up yet.

IE sucks.

Any other neat extensions that can be useful?