Help with Dune Legacy please?

Major_Gilbear

Hi, I've downloaded the latest version of DL, and have also followed the instructions regarding the DUNE.PAK file.

The thing is, each time I try and execute the game, I get a typically unhelpful message:

This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

Surprisingly, re-installing doesn't help

Well, when I've downloaded the 0.92b2 (or 0.93b2 ???) I also got the messages about dll's, and so I looked into the DL folder, and there were MSVCP70.dll and MSVCR70.dll. I copied them and renamed the copies into MSVCP71.dll and MSVCR71.dll (leaving the original 70's where they were) and everything worked fine.

Are you sure you've extracted all the files from the dune.pak? Look into the stderr.txt (the error log, hope the name I give is correct) in the DL folder, there should be written what hinders the start of the game.

Ok, I looked through the error log, and it seemed to be unable to find any of the GFX.

Using the DAT file that Gumby posted in another thread seemed to fix this. Wierd, as I have the original game, and actually installed it to get the DAT file originally!

Perhaps I could suggest that the DAT and Dll files be included with the DL game in future? :D

As I play, I daresay I'll be able to offer more useful comments  ;D

Anyway, Thanks for your help!

TonyD didn't include the original PAK file to avoid any legal problems with copyright etc. although methinks Dune II is now abandonware... And the lack of DLLs is the programmes flaw... easily fixed though. The unpacker of PAK requires the unmodified original Dune II v1.0 DUNE.PAK, well, it can be taken from the SuperDune 2 which is for free. Any other PAK versions won't work.

Well, the fact that SuperDune has been floating aboutfor so long is prolly enough proof that nothing bad will happen if you include the DAT file :P

///Edit: Some more stuff to add!///

I've attached a screenie: when running at 1024x960, why is everything so small, and why are there huge gaps in the menu parts? I tried running 800x600 but the GFX were still tiny. :O

Also, why is this game so laggy? I have trouble moving my mouse across the screen!

Thanks in advance for any more help you may be able to give me :)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Well, the fact that SuperDune has been floating aboutfor so long is prolly enough proof that nothing bad will happen if you include the DAT file :P

Just cause 'nothing bad will happen' doesnt mean its legal. The Dune2 PAK file is still copyright of Westwood Studio, or EA, whoever owns the rights these days. Better to err on the side of caution.

I've attached a screenie: when running at 1024x960, why is everything so small, and why are there huge gaps in the menu parts? I tried running 800x600 but the GFX were still tiny. :O

Also, why is this game so laggy? I have trouble moving my mouse across the screen!

Thanks in advance for any more help you may be able to give me :)

Everything is small because that is the size of the troops etc. I think the max size is something like 16x16 or smaller...If you want the troops to appear bigger set your resolution to something smaller. 640x480 is probably the best res. 320x240 is supported in the options, but i wouldnt suggest you try it.

Things are missing because the GUI was designed for 640x480 resolutions. Its something that needs to be addressed.

The missing DLL's are part of VS.NET runtime libs afaik. I thought i had included all the necessary ones in the distribution. Sorry about that, but they should be easy enough to find.

Mouse lag is interesting, try turning double buffering off? Im afraid i cant be more help without more information :/

_Gumby

Ok, I had single buffering on, and double buffering actually helped speed up the mouse scroll rate a bit. Map scroll rate on the other hand is uncontrolably high though (as is unit speed), so I have to map scroll via the minimap.

I tried playing the game on 640x480, but the window size just shrank; the units themselves remained the same size.  ???

Also, if the sizes for the menu parts and the filenames are given to me, I might be able to make the menus for the other resolutions. GFX-wise I might be able to help on other things too, but coding-wise I can't code - sorry. :P

And regarding the DAT file: yes I know. Ordinarily, I'd agree, and indeed I usually argue against those who put gamefiles in their mods, or modify the original EXE files, etc.

In this case however, the game is well and truly abandonware, and if anything this perpetuates the "life" of the game. The Dune2 game is not being distributed by this, nor is the file being tampered with. Credit for the thing is even given to WW!

If anybody has a problem with it, I'm 100% sure you'd get an official email asking for it's removal, but nothing more (as long as the email was complied with!).

I think it would be a shame that those wishing to play this should miss out because they didn't have the file or the persistance to acquire one :(

They probably are not interested in the sense that they will do anything with what they have, other than the name/product brand for future names/products. As long as no one makes a profit off of the game, or takes profit away from the rightful owner.

I don't think they have taken any legal action against Dune2 modifications. (super Dune 2 etc)

• 1 month later...