should violent video games be banned?

Vidi

Mrdozy has played the game. I own the game.

I have played the game and I own the game what is the difference that is not the issue.

I enjoy it because I like to imagine I'm killing you... IM COMING FOR YOUR FAMILY WATCH OUT ARGH

What influenced you to make such a statement? If we were talking about favorite colors and disagreed would you still have made a statememt about imagining killing me and my family (serious or whatever)? Could it be that your threat was just a part of your already apparent nature.

Parents think the material is harmless and thus let their kids play/view  such material.... and only when child does something crazy does the material get blamed.

So is this ....False claims of influence? ... or...Parents with bad judgement in letting their children indulge in inappropriate material?  You decide.

Well I was simply responding to Guns question about parenting. And it was a relavant point.

"What influenced you to make such a statement?"

Your stupidity regarding a subject associated with violence. QED.

"You say that the game is unrealistic. What about the game is unrealistic besides the plot?"

Well, let me think...

1. You are stupidly tough.

2. You are invisible when in any type of shadow.

3. You press a keyboard button to kill someone.

4. You press a keyboard button to move.

5. The graphics are crap and lack any kind of perceivable realism.

In short, it is a computer game; a computer game that teaches you to kill people by standing behind people, having 'hid' in tiny shadows in which you stand out like a sore thumb, and pressing and holding a button. The only form of death this can be likened to is shooting someone, which does not require any kind of 'manual' at all.

I play Halo, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and DOOM.  I quite enjoy venting some steam by pumping Nazi zombies full of lead (or setting them on fire, hehe).  But I realize that it is only a game, and that in real life, you cannot simply go around killing anybody who stands in your way with an MP40.  Anybody who would be so influenced by a game doesn't belong on the streets - they belong in an instiution, where they can't hurt anybody.  Becuase they are nuts and were going to kill people anyways, with or without the game's "influence."

Yeah I don't think anybody in a right state of mind would act on a video game. I guess that the kid in the article was either psychologicly unstable or a sociopath (possibly both) and therefore vulnerable to suggestive video games. I wonder why the parents didn't see this, and have allowed him to play this game on top of that.

Plus I think it's an edgy thing to blame things like media for influencing people's minds. These days people blame stuff like environment, bad childhood and nowadays video games for committed crimes. Maybe it explains how a person could have come to do such a thing but it doesn't change the fact that he did it out of his own free will. I mean where does it stop, completely pardonning people from shooting eachother because they were "influenced"? Unless the kid has a psychological disorder like I suggested earlier, then he is a rational 17 year old person capable of thinking over the consequenses of his actions and because of that he should be held responsible.

And I seriously doubt anyone ever blamed Pong for violence.  Well, you'd hope.

In todays world? Hah, I'd be willing to bet 10-1 that if Pong were to just come out as lame as it would be, that somewhere an attorney would be defending his client claiming the bouncing ball inadvertantly caused a seizure,that also caused ammnesia, and while  under the influence of this memory lapse happened to kill his neighbor, and gets off with by reason of insanity and awarded 8.5 for mental anguish.  ;)

Well, I think that's just common sense...we don't need games to tell us that...

Haha, though in some games people die from being shot in the foot with a sniper rifle :D they just fall dead, talk about realism. Or in others you can get shot in the head ten times and not die ;) especially those boss enemies that need to be shot twice with a rocket launcher.

If they blame volence on games, why not blame them on movies too? I don't know about your newspapers, but our papers write just everything about murder, rapes, mad-driving etc. Commercials and stuff do have an impact on us, we are influenced by it. We want to be that handsome guy/girl in that commercial, or this movie, but we can't. It's all a question of accepting it.

And if people are influenced to kill people because of games, then, wouldn't people also be influenced to believe in all the other million things we have "learned" from media? Like the Matrix, the Force (Star Wars), every conspiracy (X-Files), and everything else? I think the kids that go crazy and kill people are only a small fraction of many "insane people", people who necessarily won't speak or do anything irrational, but in their homes and when they sleep, they "know" that the Matrix is there, that there is a Force, or, that aliens are going to invade Earth in 2012 just as Mulder said they would...