should violent video games be banned?

Vidi

Cyborg you nutcase the victim was not playing the video game the murder was the one playing the video game. Man your embarassing yourself as an intelligent person.

But you're missing the point. If the victim had stayed at home, perhaps the murderer would not've killed the victim...

Or if the murderer had never went to school at all during his life, perhaps he would not kill anyone.

I'm just trying to be as stupid as those people being so scared of video games...

Guns

Yes that is true about Cain and Abel but the one thing that stands out is the fact that it does not go into detail. This is the point that I am trying to show why some video games are "kill manuals" with very realistic details.

I do not think that because we play these games we will wake one morning and murder all who cross our paths but there are those who do not need to play such games. I have the Manhunt game and even before this murder happened in England I could see this happening just because of the subject matter in the game. This video game is one of the most violent I have seen in recent years and at the same time most disturbing. I know we play down the fact that it's only a video game it does no harm but is this really true. Video games are "simulators" and "simulators" are used to train, so what are the players being taught by the game. A video game like Manhunt gets a M rating for a reason and believe me it's not because of a few knife stabbings either.

Guns

Yes that is true about Cain and Abel but the one thing that stands out is the fact that it does not go into detail. This is the point that I am trying to show why some video games are "kill manuals" with very realistic details.

I do not think that because we play these games we will wake one morning and murder all who cross our paths but there are those who do not need to play such games. I have the Manhunt game and even before this murder happened in England I could see this happening just because of the subject matter in the game. This video game is one of the most violent I have seen in recent years and at the same time most disturbing. I know we play down the fact that it's only a video game it does no harm but is this really true. Video games are "simulators" and "simulators" are used to train, so what are the players being taught by the game. A video game like Manhunt gets a M rating for a reason and believe me it's not because of a few knife stabbings either.

hmm i guess i need to pick this game up and see what the deal is then...

OMG not another video game causes people to kill thread!

It's not like crack, there's not a salesman at your corner or door every day trying to push a game on you.

IF you think it's TOO violent, and or might influence your kids, or might offend or piss of the man upstairs in some way by having it, then buy all means, Just don't fucking get it!!

I  mean todays games usually involve 2 simple basic elements-Good and Evil, and by todays gaming standards you can bet your ass the evil part of the game is and will in some way offend those I mentioned. Guaranteed.

other than that, i've seen more movies that actually go into much, much more detail of killing people than games by far.

Manhunt is not realistic enough to act as a manual. In Manhunt, simply stepping into a dark area makes you invisible. Manhunt does not show you how to kill people, it shows you how to stand behind someone and press a button for a while, producing a short movie. In short: what a load of bollocks.

Manhunt is not realistic enough to act as a manual. In Manhunt, simply stepping into a dark area makes you invisible. Manhunt does not show you how to kill people, it shows you how to stand behind someone and press a button for a while, producing a short movie. In short: what a load of bollocks.

ah thanks for the clarification

What a load or crap Apollinax just say you enjoy the game for it's exploitation and "smut film" feel not to mention it's almost sexual gratifacation of the murderous acts that you commit. If you own this game you know for a fact that it is the most explicit, macabre game to date. No matter what you say if the game had of been a movie no major studio would have released it without an M-17 rating if it was released at all.

I am not saying that people will lose their minds but there should be a line that needs not to be crossed just for the sake of entertainment.

Well here's 1 example, my 2 daughters both 6 have very strict rules when it comes to playing on my pc.  they have several sites they can go to and bookmarked for their age  range for entertainment. They are Disney.com, Nickelodeon.com, and a few other sites they can go to.  Other than that they do not and will not play any of the graphic blood n guts games I have like Doom-3 or some others, I think most of this falls on the parents to use a little common sense when it comes to what material they see or view. And this common sense will go a long way if parents will just put forth the effort.

What a load or crap Apollinax just say you enjoy the game for it's exploitation and "smut film" feel not to mention it's almost sexual gratifacation of the murderous acts that you commit. If you own this game you know for a fact that it is the most explicit, macabre game to date. No matter what you say if the game had of been a movie no major studio would have released it without an M-17 rating if it was released at all.

I am not saying that people will lose their minds but there should be a line that needs not to be crossed just for the sake of entertainment.

I enjoy it because I like to imagine I'm killing you... IM COMING FOR YOUR FAMILY WATCH OUT ARGH

Grow up and get a grip. It's the upbringing of children that is at fault, not computer-games, as much as I'm sure you'd love to think that all problems could be solved by banning a retardedly unrealistic game.

I completely agree that 5 year olds shouldnt be playing games like this but no-one 17 or older is going to be mentally scarred in anyway. If you can show me somone that is 17 or older that has, tell me about him/her, cause iv'e never heard of it.

Let's just say for sake of argument that some emotionally fragile and over-shelterd person plays this game and is distubed by it. What's to stop them from just not playing it anymore? All you'd have to do anyway is read the back of the case to know what kind of game it is...

I think it's probably not right that people should find this kind of stuff entertaining now i think about it, but thats the way it goes. I dont think though that this is going to change the way people think in any way, and it's not going to cause a mass murder across the world... Let's be honest about it, if your going to play the game then your already going to be in that kind of mind set. And obviously that mind set can't belong only to people who are murderers or even genrally not nice people anyway because otherwise we'd either have a completley unsuccesful game, or a world full of killers. I mean noone can denay that if somone syas that there is a head rolling along the ground you don't really want to see it, but you look anyway. So there is somthing there in everyone... and yes, even you quondam.