standby problems

just got a new dell laptop, i patched it to winxp pro service pack 2 the other day, was on microsoft's website, doing an update and my dialup cut out at around 60% online installation.  now i notice that if i try and boot my computer up from standby, i just get a blank screen and can't do anything.  im not sure if this is a "convenient new feature" of service pack 2 or cause our SH*T ISP cut out in the middle of an online install.

bit annoyed, i hate when new shiny expensive computers go wrong after a week.  any help would be muchly appreciated.

would i be able to just delete most of the temp stuff without too many probs, cos most of it i don't recognise.

this was a post sp2 update, i installed sp2 off a disc then went online to see if there was anything more recent.

and im still not sure of the difference between hibernation and standby.  i've set my laptop to standby if the lid is shut and then goes to hibernation after about 10 minutes.  but even if i don't wait that long, i can't reactivate the thing from standby.