Names of the 20 Titans

Selig

It says there were originally 20 Titans who overthrew the Old Empire. I don't recall it ever mentioning all of their names though, and I really need to know their names. I skimmed through the books today to see which names were mentioned, and I only came up with 7. Could someone please help me find the other 13 names? I know no Herbert would decide there were 20, and then not give them all a name and history no matter if they are included in the book. Although, they may be in the book. I'm not that great of a skimmer. Please help.

Agamemnon

Ajax

Barbarossa

Dante

Hecate

Juno

Xerxes

Lets see... from what I remember, and I did once try to compile the list myself, I can add two to that;

Alexander,

Tamerlane.

There are others, but not all of their names have been mentioned, I don't think. Were I so inlcined I would go and look them up, and chances are I will anyway, but not right now.

Edit: The leader's name was Tlaloc.

Hmm, I fear those are the only ones he bothered to give names to. Sigh, I think that only way to the get rest of the names would be to mail Brian Herbert or Kevin J. Anderson, but I lack an address to either of them. Does anyone know a fan mail address or something? Also, for those of you who like mythological facts as well as Dune...her are some facts about the Titans of myth. Enjoy, and thanks for helping me with this. Again, a fan mail address would be great if someone has it.

The Titans of Greek mythology were the twelve children of Gaia and Uranus:

Coeus

Crius

Cronus

Hyperion

Iapetus

Mnemosyne

Oceanus

Phoebe

Rhea

Theia

Themis

Thetys.

The Titans Cronus and Rhea were the parents of Zeus and the other

Olympian gods and goddesses.

Besides the Olympian gods and goddesses, the Titans produces other

offspring, either themselves or through mating with other creatures.

The major second generation Titans were:

Asteria

Astraea (Dike)

Astraeus

Atlas

Eos (Dawn)

Eosphorus (or Hesperus)

Epimetheus

Helius

Leto

Menoetius

Pallas

Perses

Prometheus

Selene

Titan

There were other sources. Xerxes, as far as I remember, was an ancient Greek general, or King, or something. Hecate is generally thought of as a witch of some kind, while Juno was a goddess in either Greek or Roman mythology. My knowledge of this used to be encyclopaedic, but I'm afraid that was a long time ago...

I think there are other names mentioned in the second book. Er... Yeah, that one that comes after the Butlerian Jihad. That one. But it doesn't have an index. Machine Crusade, that's the one.

There's absolutely no connection between the mythological titans and the names, so I guess you're right. From the top of my head:

Agamemnon: king of Mycene who lead the Greek army against Troy

Alexander: macedonian king and famous Greek general

Ajax: Greek hero during the Trojan war

Barbarossa: one of the Holy Roman emperors

Dante: Italian poet

Hecate: dunno

Juno (Parhi, Julianna): Roman godess, forgot of what

Tamerlane: a member of this forum ;)

Tlaloc: dunno

Xerxes: dunno

Xerxes was a greek name of few persian kings, Tamerlane is latinized version of Timur Lenk, a tatarian leader who took most of the mongol hordes around the end of 14th century. He was somewhere from central asia, so most Mongols took him as usurper. Hekate was one greek lesser goddess, I think she had healing as her resort or something like that. Juno was roman equivalent of Hera.

AGAMEMNON  m

Usage: Greek Mythology

Pronounced: ag-a-MEM-nahn

Possibly meaning "very steadfast" in Greek. In Greek mythology he was the brother of Menelaus and he led the Greek expedition to Troy to recover his brother's wife Helen. After the Trojan War Agamemnon was killed by his wife Clytemnestra.

-----

ALEXANDER  m

Usage: English, German, Dutch

Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur

From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

-----

AJAX  m

Usage: Greek Mythology (Latinized)

Pronounced: AY-jaks

From the Greek name Aias, perhaps deriving from Greek aiastes "mourner". In Greek mythology this was the name of one of the heroes who fought for the Greeks in the Trojan War. When the armor of the slain hero Achilles was not given to him he became mad with jealousy and killed himself.

-----

BARBAROSSA

I can't find anything on his name.

-----

DANTE  m

Usage: Italian

Pronounced: DAHN-tay

From the Italian name Durante, which was related to the Latin word durantem meaning "enduring". The most notable bearer of this name was Dante Alighieri, the medieval Italian poet who wrote 'The Divine Comedy'.

-----

HECATE  f

Usage: Greek Mythology (Latinized)

Pronounced: HEK-a-tee

Possibly derived from Greek hekas meaning "far off". In Greek mythology Hecate was a goddess associated with witchcraft, tombs, demons and the underworld.

-----

JUNO  f

Usage: Roman Mythology

Pronounced: JOO-no

Meaning unknown. In Roman mythology Juno was the wife of Jupiter and the queen of the heavens. She was the protectress of marriage and women, and was also the goddess of finance.

-----

TAMERLANE  m

Usage: History

Westernized form of Timur i Leng (see TIMUR).

TIMUR  m

Usage: Russian

Derived from a Turkish word meaning "iron". Timur, also known as Tamerlane (from Persian Timur i Leng "Timur the lame"), was a 14th-century Turkic leader who conquered large areas of western Asia.

-----

TLALOC  m

Usage: New World Mythology

Means "of the earth" in Nahuatl. He was the Aztec god of rain and fertility, the husband of Chalchiuhticue.

-----

XERXES  m

Usage: English

Pronounced: ZURK-seez

Greek form of the Persian name Xshay

I like it that when whenever anybody has a chance to brag about any historical/scientific/philisophical tidbit on dune2k, they grab it and genrally bug anybody who is incorrect in their information. lol

like if I mention an abscure person or historical fact, I would definitely get a longwinded response to that, as well as any info that might appeal for more discussion towards it.lol