"He Is The Kwisatz Haderach"

Colonel_Worf

The last line in Dune is... well... boring. I always felt like it was kind of a letdown. They used it in the miniseries too, which you know... works well with the whole love angle. I was watching David Lych's version (mostly just o.k.) and I realized how much I loved that last line. It just seems like an awesome ending... I know it's not true to the book, but I just love it.

"And how can this be? or he *is* the Kwisatz Haderach!" <prophecy theme, cue lightening, and rain, fremen looking shocked> That bit?

Very un-Herbet-esque, yes. But you have to remmeber that Frank herbert's novel is political fantasy, not sci-fi fantasy. The last line of Dune was to show that Paul was only using Irulan to seize the throne, and that she would have no compasion or love from the new Emperor. I didn't like lymch's ending to be honest, although he had the accurate "knife-thrst up under the jaw" scene right. Which was good!

"Do you know so little of my son?" Jessica whispered. "See that princess standing there, so haughty and confident. They say she has pretensions of a literary nature. Let us hope she finds solace in such things; she'll have little else." A bitter laugh escaped Jessica. "Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine -- never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine -- history will call us wives."

Although I'm sure different versions may have very slight differences.

Because he is the Kwisatch Haderach! Will probably haunt me for the rest of my life :P.

It ended pretty good I thought in the book.

"Even if Dune is set in feudal society, I still picture asian women knee deep in rice somewhere in Laos, whenever they mention concubine"

Nah, they're on Caladan, and that's pundi rice.

I've just had this weird thought: Dune with animals as actors... would it work? Aside from the obvious practicality aspect...

Scott, I hardly ever come here anymore.  So, I'm just going to come right out and sorry.  And if you're offended, oh well.  But do you ever just fuckin' let a thread be or agree with one?  Do you always have to do that smartsy-fartsy reply-to-every-line shit?