Emperor and XP SP 2 / DirectX9c = Blue Screen

TotesFleisch

Hi to everybody !  ;D

Emperor was running with my XP system just fine.

After I installed SP2 (and DirectX9c which comes with it) I got a Blue Screen everytime I started it.  :'(

I have made updates of the graphics driver (Radeon 9700) and my BIOS.

I tried to reinstall Emperor. Now even the installation is not possible - Blue Screen.

I have deinstalled SP2 but same effect.  ::)

I have reinstalled SP2 = same situation.

I deactivated NAV = nothing changed.

Because I liked the game and want to go on with it, any suggestions ?

Thank you very much in advance !  :D

I attached DXDiag.txt[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Thank you for ur advice  8)

There's ur problem! You probably mucked up ur BIOS settings. Put them back to the standard defaults, and revert to your previous graphics driver.

No, I don't think so. The problem happened after SP2 and before the BIOS update. Updating BIOS had been a reaction to the problem. Same goes for the new graphics driver. The previous worked fine before SP2 but afterwards anymore with Emperor.

If that doesn't help, maybe it was DirectX 9.0c that blew it. Uninstalling SP2 probably doesn't restore your older DirectX. :-

Yeah, I guess so, too. U think downgrading DirectX 9.0c would work ?  ???

I dont know how easy downgrading Directx is these days, but when I last tried I needed a special proggy I downloaded from the 'net to remove the files for me. Of courese, since then there maybe a roll back feature, or maybe a restore point would do it.

Good luck.

Thank you for ur efforts.

I dont know how easy downgrading Directx is these days, but when I last tried I needed a special proggy I downloaded from the 'net to remove the files for me. Of courese, since then there maybe a roll back feature, or maybe a restore point would do it.

I tried a prog named "DirectX 9 Uninstaller for XP / .NET". It was quite complicated, but now I have DirectX 8.1. But I can't still install the game, I get the message like (it is translated) "directX error - action is not supported". :( Here's my new DXDiag: [attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Can you remember if the STOP message mentioned a specific driver? If not can you remember what type of STOP message it was? (i.e. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

When the game was still installed I got messages like STOP 0X00000 and so on, they seemed to be allways different ...

I believe Win XP automatically makes system recoveries when installing service packs (or other patches?) And otherwise there would be the periodically made system recoveries (if you didn't switch that off)

So you can probably find a very recent date which you can recover, from before you installed the service pack.

It is worth a try.

(It is possible to undo a system recovery, once done)

• 1 month later...