Can Tooth Whiteners Cause Oral Cancer?

GUNWOUNDS

hehe well ... i am sure you wouldnt be too happy if you found out you had cancer in your mouth or tongue .... in your 20's....

i would say premature cancer is extremely unsettling.

I guess so. The thought of tongue cancer is a bit unnerving I have to say. Omg, you wouldnt be able to eat if they had to chop that off!  :- And you wouldnt be able to french kiss anyone ever again  :P.

Yeah, everytime they have to chop something off due to cancer, its always gonna have a detrimental effect on your sex life...

i dunno... i still don trust some of this stuff... i wish they would give the actually test information... i mean they say that that blue sugar for iced tea can cause cancer... but umm how do they truly know that the sugar caused the cancer... and how do we know how much of the stuff was fed/given to the rats (they also used rats for the whitening test) ... my bio teacher (tho i dont know where he got the information) said the rats were pretty much solely living on the blue sugar... so it kinda takes away the importance of saying it CAN cause cancer.  Well... pretty much EVERYTHING! can cause cancer... just depends on something going wrong in the right way (or wrong way however u look at it).

You know what else increases your risk of cancer?

EVERYTHING

thats pretty cliche' ..... and its wrong...

*EVERYTHING* doesnt cause people to have cancer in their 20's ..... having cancer in your 20's is PREMATURE.... because CANCER is usually from mutagens that wear on your body for decades... coupled with a weak immune system....

because your immune system is designed to fight cancer on its own.. it has anti-tumor agents that it kills cancer with... if your immune system is weakened (by old age) then it is easier to understand why

It's tiring to hear all these new studies that are proven wrong hundreds of times. They always have these flashy names like: !!!***Eating carrots causes brain cancer***!!!. Most times all this stuff is unproven and isolated. For example, guess what? The people who use tooth whiteners more are more likely to be smokers than non-smokers. And everyone knows that smoking causes tongue cancer. Or chewing tobacco for that matter.

It's tiring to hear all these new studies that are proven wrong hundreds of times. They always have these flashy names like: !!!***Eating carrots causes brain cancer***!!!. Most times all this stuff is unproven and isolated. For example, guess what? The people who use tooth whiteners more are more likely to be smokers than non-smokers. And everyone knows that smoking causes tongue cancer. Or chewing tobacco for that matter.

haha ok i will give you that Devil advocate.... good point...

however i think the peoeple getting the cancer in this case were people who didnt smoke or use tobacco or drink excessively.... which is why scientists took notice of it in the first place...

but i see what you

its not always strong radiation or strong chemicals that cause it.... ok here, the definition of cancer:

(what i remember from biology, due to pounding it into us for that entire year):

an uncontrolled growth of cells.

websters: (skipping all the zodiac and plant disease deffinitions)

1. a malignant tumor of potentially unlimited growth that expands locally by invasion and systemically by metastasis. 2. an abnormal bodily state marked by such tumors 3. something evil or malignant that spreads destructively... (the dictionary definitions dont really help but just to save others the trouple of looking them up)

cancer as a whole does not need to be caused by strong radiation, however it is most commonly caused by the sun, or strong chemicals... actually its very possible that a cell could have been made wrong... and doesnt have any carbohydrate strands in one area (telling the cell if it needs to grow by knowing if a cell is next to it) so when it starts to duplicate itself, it cant tell that there are cells there so it keeps growing and growing... and will not stop untill your immune system does something about it... this is a benign cancer, nothing serious, this could be a cyst or something like that.

going on the tongue cancer thing.........this does need to be caused by some kind of catalyst (smoking, radiation)... yes it is very possible it is just caused by smoking, but, not that i disagree with you devil's advocate, but these tests were done on lab rats who ( i hope) do not smoke.

Living next to a nuclear power plant does not increase the amount of radiation you receive as much as sleeping next to your spouse.

Moving to Cornwall (from a non-granite area) increases the degree by which you are irradiated more than living next to a dozen nuclear power plants.

Living next to a nuclear power plant does not increase the amount of radiation you receive as much as sleeping next to your spouse.

Moving to Cornwall (from a non-granite area) increases the degree by which you are irradiated more than living next to a dozen nuclear power plants.

People's fears of nuclear power are, more often than not, driven by ignorance.