Emperor doesn't want to start and crashes to desktop.

PM

I think this is not a new problem for you, but I really don't know what can I do.

I read all the discussions about this problem and I tried everything. But nothing.

I'm using Windows XP.

I have 2 cd readers (one is D: and the other one is F:). Using D: the setup doesn't start but it gives an error in "setup.exe".

Using F: the setup goes correctly, but when I launch the game, it doesn't happen nothing. Just returns to desktop.

I thought it was a video problem: i changed resolution, installed the latest drivers of my video card (nVidia GeForce FX 5200) but nothing.

Thinking it was a conflict with NAV, I uninstalled it, but nothing.

So I downloaded the setup fix, I reinstalled the game with it, but when I launch the game (the fixed exe) with the cd inside the F: unit it gives me an error in "game.exe". In addition, if I launch the game with the cd inside the D: unit, it doesn't want to start. I think there's a problem on reading from the cd units, but I don't know ho to solve it.

Attached there's the DxDiag file (edit: the right one is the PMDxDiag1.txt, sorry). Thanks to everyone wants to help me.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Mmm... I think it's not a cd units problems. Also using the fixed Emperor.exe (without or within any cd inside, it's the same), it crashes to desktop. It's a video problem, I suppose. But I already tried everything in my video card settings...

Sorry to make you spell it out word for word, as I am shure you did do it, but did you follow the Patch instructions correctly ? Did you copy the contents of the setup folder to your computer hard drive ?...etc ?

Its just that it sounds like the perfect scenario for the problem that the patch fixes.

Sorry to make you spell it out word for word, as I am shure you did do it, but did you follow the Patch instructions correctly ? Did you copy the contents of the setup folder to your computer hard drive ?...etc ?

Yes, yes, I did it. I tried also to install the game in my laptop, but there were problems in the cd setup, so I used the setup patch and in that pc Emperor runs correctly. But I want play the game in my pc and I don't understand why it hasn't to go on a recent and normal pc.

I noticed a thing: If I go to Screen properties > Settings > Advanced > Problems Resolution and I move the slider four positions before, disabling Direct3D Acceleration, the game (patched or not) doesn't start at all and gives an error in "game.exe". If I move the slider to max, as normally, the game (patched or not) runs but crashes to desktop. For this reason I suppose it's a graphical problem.

If NAV is on the pc, you need to uninstall both NAV and EBFD. Just uninstalling NAV won't help.

If the problem remains that you can't install EBFD, it may well be due to the fact that you're using cd writers

to install it. Do you also have cd copy programs on your pc ?

What you could try is to copy the contents of the c to your harddrive and install from there (leave the cd in the cdrom).

[ edit : just a minor style typo :) ]

If NAV is on the pc, you need to uninstall both NAV and EBFD. Just uninstalling NAV won't help.

The problem is not in the install process, is in running the game. As I told before, I think it could be a graphical problem.

I've just uninstalled Emperor, then uninstalled NAV and then reinstalled Emperor... nothing. When I launch the game, only the intro screen, then the black screen for a second and then goes back to desktop :(

PM, how about trying this: make a shortcut to the game if one does not already exist, and at the end of the line "target" in the shortcut properties add  " +w" right at the very end (outside the quotes, if any). Also, was reading another post where a guy mentions -w to force a windowed mode. Just to test it it may be worth trying.

I would guess that if that worked it would verify that it is indeed a grfx card problem and so we could work from there.

Another way would be to find an old card lying around and whack that in, odds of two cards being incompatible I would guess would be small.

Then there are the Omega drivers we can try if it does turn out to be your grfx card for sure. Good luck, and waiting to hear from you...

EDIT: fixed tyops  8)  ;D

reading old posts here I've seen that someone solved this problem installing SP1 for Win XP. I noticed that I haven't installed any SP for Win XP in my pc. I'll try it now.

I quote myself because I've just installed SP1 for Windows XP Professional.

Now when I launch the game, it plays the two first movies with EA Logo and Westwood Studios Logo, but then returns to desktop again......

I've just tried the compatility mode but the situation is the same...

I downloaded all the possible WXP patches from Windows Update, included one that "resolves some problems about intro movies in games", and updated DirectX from 9.0a to 9.0b. Nothing.

Only the Westwood logo, black screen and then desktop.

Ladies and gentlemen, after installing the latest drivers for my nVidia card and then Omega drivers, uninstalling and installing NAV about 3 times, uninstalling and reinstalling the game about 10 times without the fixed setup and 5 times with it, trying all the line parameters and compatility modes, downloading and installing the WXP SP1, about 15 patches and DirectX 9.0b from Windows Update, and then reinstalling the game... I'm proud to tell you that... now Emperor works!!!!

Thanks everyone here that helped me.

Sorry PM, I am fresh out of sensible ideas.

Maybe someone here has some ideas, although if the Venerable Apollyon has tried and failed....

EDIT:

So tell us, suspense kills me ! What was it ? (and will you be online ?  ;D)

EDIT2:

Oh, and congratulations !!!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problems, the screen goes black for a split second as if starting the game then immediately closes with no messages.  I've tried everything including the stickied post on this forum and nothing has worked.

I'm also having this same problem with NOX which is another older Westwood game.  Where the game.exe would crash immediately upon running the game.  I'm running XP but I've tested the games on other computers with XP and similar set ups as well and they all work fine on them. 

Why do these games not work for a select few XP users?  I'm also not running NAV or anything of the sort.  Westwood is the only company I've had problems with and it's quite annoying.

Ladies and gentlemen, after installing the latest drivers for my nVidia card and then Omega drivers, uninstalling and installing NAV about 3 times, uninstalling and reinstalling the game about 10 times without the fixed setup and 5 times with it, trying all the line parameters and compatility modes, downloading and installing the WXP SP1, about 15 patches and DirectX 9.0b from Windows Update, and then reinstalling the game... I'm proud to tell you that... now Emperor works!!!!

Thanks everyone here that helped me.

omg i dont know if i even know how to do all this...

If we refer to Omega, we refer to their website (www.omegacorner.com). They have modified

drivers for Nvidia and ATi cards, which seem to have solved quite a few issues.

As far as XP users go who want to play EBFD, it is possible. The majority is playing the game on XP.

If you've tried the game on other pc's with Xp, try to compare what's different on those compared to yours.

You could attach your dxdiag so that we can have a look.