The Old Duke (spoilers if you haven't read Heretics of Dune)

theoldduke

As you all can see, my screen name is The Old Duke. Ever since I heard that name, I thought it was the coolest and I wanted to use it. So for the last two years I have been The Old Duke or theoldduke or other variations). I said all that to say all this. Who exactly is the Old Duke? In House Atreides (I think that was the one), they refer to Paulus (please forgive my spelling) as the Old Duke. Yet in Heretics of Dune, when Teg brings back Duncan's pre-ghola memories, Duncam calls him Leto, referring to Leto I. Later in Heretics, Teg gives Duncan an order, and the quote goes as follow: Teg "This is a battle order! I am your commander!"... Duncan saw only the face of the Old Duke telling him to obey. Several times in the book, reference is made to Teg looking so much like Leto I. So, if you go by House Atreides, Paulus is the Old Duke. But if you go by Heretics, then it was Leto I. Does anyone know who the real Old Duke is? (Sorry this post was so long, by the way.)

To different people, the "old duke" is a different person.  To people who knew Paulus, he is the "old duke".  To people who served Leto and not Paulus, Leto becomes the "old duke" once Paul Muad'Dib becomes the "new duke"....or something

• 3 weeks later...

The "Old Duke" all depends on which viewpoint you take as official. The prequal series as written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson names Paulus Atriedes as "the old duke". The Encyclopeidia, written by a close friend and advisor of Frank Herbert, and was endorced by Frank under the viewpoint that things from the encyclopedia may be changed as the saga contiues, lists Minotauros "Mintor" Atreides as Leto I's father. Paul Atriedes is always named as Paul Muad'Dib, very rarely as the Duke Atriedes. Even when he's emperor. And Leto II is the God Emperor or The Tyrant.