Neverwinter Nights

bryorama

I just bought the Neverwinter Nights: Gold Edition game for around 40$ (USD) at Walmart a while ago.

It included the original, and one of the expansiono Eruntides of Darkness or something. ( :P)

I'm pretty much convinced to buy the next one already. (Other expansion.)

I right now have a:

Level 20

Male Elf

Paladin 

& a:

Level 14

Male Halfling

Ranger

FUN game.  :)

Are you kidding? The official campaign was great! As a matter of fact, I'm an enthusiastic fan of Neverwinter Nights. I'd go as far as to say it's the best non-RTS game I ever played. :)

If you buy NWN, you should definitely also get the second expansion pack, Hordes of the Underdark. The HotU campaign is simply superb - not to mention you can advance your character up to level 40.

Well, judging from the screenshots its not like Diablo...

unless thats online? with a bunch of people...

So, umm then is it like FF where you approach an enemy and then it goes into a little fighting screen or w/e it does and you hit, then they hit, etc (i've never played FF thats just my impression from seeing it on tv and stuff)

or is it like MMorpg/diablo/lineage(judging by wat ive seen on tv again)... where you fight in real time going around killing masses of stuff.

~slappy

Are you kidding? The official campaign was great! As a matter of fact, I'm an enthusiastic fan of Neverwinter Nights. I'd go as far as to say it's the best non-RTS game I ever played. :)

If you buy NWN, you should definitely also get the second expansion pack, Hordes of the Underdark. The HotU campaign is simply superb - not to mention you can advance your character up to level 40.

It has the most retarded, most generic plot I have ever had the misfortune to play through. It was verging on the quality of Diablo2, and at least Diablo 2 doesn't claim to be a deep and intense story-driven RPG - it's just beat up the bad guys.

I agree with Edric. I loooove it.

I can't stop making characters. I especially love looting rish estates.

Character-Epdate:

Level 20

Male Elven

Paladin

Level 15

Male Halfing

Ranger

Level 13

Male Human

Wizard

Level 4 (Working on)

Male Half-Elven

Druid

Mmm, really tasty game.

It has the most retarded, most generic plot I have ever had the misfortune to play through. It was verging on the quality of Diablo2, and at least Diablo 2 doesn't claim to be a deep and intense story-driven RPG - it's just beat up the bad guys.

Do you mind going a little more in-depth than that? For the moment, you seem to be saying "it sucks because it sucks".

Have you played through the side quests?

Do you mind going a little more in-depth than that? For the moment, you seem to be saying "it sucks because it sucks".

Have you played through the side quests?

Yes, I played through the game 4 times as 4 different classes. I found the plot to be very dull, with little originality outside the 'save-the-world from evil people X' genre. If you'd played Planescape:Torment you'd realise how good plots can be. NWN has far too many generic badguys to slash through with little plot-revalation as a reward.

"Save-the-world from evil people X"? You don't even know who you're supposed to save the world from until late in chapter 3 (for those who haven't played the game, I should mention that it has 4 chapters in total).

However, you may have a point: the plot is too linear. Your actions have no effect on the way the events unfold.

That also holds true for the plot of the first x-pack (Shadows of Undrentide), but not for the second x-pack (Hordes of the Underdark). In fact, the reason I love Hordes of the Underdark so much is precisely because the plot has no "reset button": Every small action you take is remembered, and it has an effect on the story. Also, in Hordes of the Underdark, you can actually choose to switch over to the bad guys' side. Need I say more? :)

Neverwinter Nights rules... The original plot may not have been particularly adaptive but I still enjoyed it immensely. If I didn't keep getting bored of Chapter 2 I'd just keep playing and playing and playing... HotU was even better (though before buying it I found that hard to imagine), especially in that it brought back that character we all love...

[spoilers for plot]

[hide]Aribeth of course. I'm about as close to casual evil as it gets and even I did my utmost to help her. I just couldn't let her die at the end of the original; and even when playing evil characters I never convince her to become an evil blackguard in HotU. It just doesn't seem fair...

Side note: I'm also something of a drow fanatic (L' ilythiiri zhal elgg dos!) so I guess I was kind of upset that we had to fight against the Valsharess in the end of Chapter 2. *Sigh.* So I edited my home-made golem to be Valsharess-shaped. ;D [/hide]

Hmm. Edric and I are agreeing again... *Suspicious.*

NWN was a great game, even if the original and xpac1 plots were too linear.  HotU fixed that to a huge extent (I betrayed a person who expected me to betray my original allies!)  Epic classes are cool.  Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are still better in all regards except graphics, though.

Yup guys, NWU roxx. I've went through the original campaign with Dwarven FighterCleric. I liked it very much, but I never played the exp. pack though. I stoped playing because there is no, or I found no way to export my character. And without it, it was enough for me to play the game till I completed the campaign  :-

You save your character (In game you press esc to get the menu, the button is right next to save game) and then when the time comes to choose your character for the expansion packs you don't make a new one, you go to 'pregenereted' and your character will be there. Though playing through Shadows of Undrentide with a level 20 character from the original might not be that much fun at first since you're supposed to be level 0...

Dust Scout:

[hide]You DON'T have to fight against the Valsharess at the end of chapter 2. You can accept her offer to betray the Seer.

On another note, have you taken the time to develop a relationship with your henchmen? No, not Deekin. ;) Female characters can have a romance with Valen, while male characters can have a romance with Nathyrra and/or Aribeth (yes, that's AND/or - I checked the script, and if you have a REALLY high persuade skill, you can get away with polygamy).

And just out of curiosity, I want to ask you about your choices in HotU:

- What did you do with the Broken Mirror? I gave it to the Seer.

- Which side did you take in the Golem Civil War? I sided with Ferron and the rebels.

- What did you do with the Illithids of Zorvak Mur? I slaughtered them all, the filthy creatures![/hide]

Here's a non-spoiler question for everyone: What is your alignment? Or, to put it another way, what is the NWN alignment that best fits your real personality?

I think it's safe to say that mine is Chaotic Good. :)

I was lawful evil until the new rules of HotU, whereupon Neutral Evil took over. Hey, I like stealing things! It was only at the very end of HotU that I finally slipped into Chaotic Evil. I tried very hard to avoid it...

Edric:[hide]

I know, I was really REALLY tempted to betray the Seer... so I did, and ended up killing the Valsharess anyway (I assume you know what happens if you betray her? You must have tested... If not I won't spoil it for you). That disappointed me so much that I re-loaded and stuck with her.

As for relationships... Yes and no.  ;) I played with the scripts a bit so that I could bring about a male/male one with Valen. Partly to see if I could; but lets face it I really just wanted to. And then I met Aribeth... and she has no problems with Valen, as I know she does with Nathyrra. And I'll do 'most anything to keep Aribeth happy.

- I gave it to the Seer. Then I found out I needed it and took it back...

- I sided with the old Golems. Aghaz, I think. I did help Ferron at first, but then I lost my game and thought I'd try for tougher golems. I didn't get any, but it was an interesting experiment.

- ...to give it to the Ilithids. I don't have anything against them, provided they don't get uppity. I regreted it later, at the end, but it was too late by then.

Did you engender any relationships with Henchmen? Come to think of it, which ones do you choose? I've always stuck with Linu and Tomi in both original and Chapter 1 of HotU. After that, I found out that if you do things in exactly the right order, it's possible to get Deekin, Valen, and Aribeth, as well as my Valsharess-golem. And my familiar. Which is a bat. I'm almost always a Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple, so I alwys have a familiar. What about you? [/hide]

My character class? I'm a Cleric/Champion of Torm, with a taste for battle. :) Actually, the class closest to my personality is the Paladin, but I refuse to be lawful! Death to all kings, emperors and tyrants! Power to the people! Commoners of all fantasy lands, unite! ;)

I've tried being a Ranger once - the stereotypical Chaotic Good Robin Hood style character - but I quickly gave up, because I just don't like ranged combat. There's nothing like dealing justice with a good blade in your hand.

You might also be interested in how my character looks like: A red helmet, Red Dragon Armor, a red demon shield in one hand and Enserric the Longsword (which, as you know, has a red aura) in the other. Heh heh heh... ;D

[hide]I double-crossed the Valsharess. I told her I'd betray the Seer (so she would give me a robe, which I later sold for a good price), but in the actual battle I stood by the Seer's side and drove back the Valsharess's minions. :) That fits my alignment perfectly: Chaotic, because I lied to the Valsharess, and Good, because I defended the Seer.

You should have tried killing the Illithids. They give you a lot of experience. Plus, you can free slaves! But I guess that's just my hobby. ;) As for the Golems, I don't think it was too hard to notice the political/religious undertones of that choice, was it? Did you go down to the lowest level, by the way? The Maker is there... he's a demilich... and you can kill him. If you're a wizard or sorcerer (which I wasn't), you can also finish the experiment he was working on. I wonder what happens if you do that...

My henchman in the original campaign was Sharwyn. In HotU chapter 1, it was Deekin and Sharwyn. In chapters 2 and 3, it was Deekin and Nathyrra. I never took Aribeth by my side. I convinced her to be a good paladin, then I took her to the Reaper's hall (because it was cold in that damn cave! ;) ) and left her there - together with Valen. I had a relationship with Nathyrra (the mutual declaration of love took place right at the beginning of chapter 3, which is apparently some sort of record, because everyone else I asked found it much more difficult to romance Nathyrra).

What did you do with Mephistopheles at the end? I bought his True Name, and then... "I command you to die!" Muhahahahahahahaha!!! ;D I must admit that I was tempted to make him my servant and rule the Nine Hells, though... The only problem is that the ending doesn't allow you to rule the hells as a good and just People's Commissar... erm, I mean king... so I had to kill Mephi instead.

Oh, and another thing: When I looked at all the possible endings, I saw there was one in which the devils gave Cania back to the Knowers. How do I get that ending? I couldn't order Mephi to give Cania back to the Knowers, using his True Name...[/hide]

And as a side note, is it possible to create a custom item with a special power that gives your character wings? I thought of making a "Red Bull" potion. ;D