backbone units

For the sake of continuity, I'll put in my .02 towards backbone units. I would say they are the Atreides Minotaurus, the Ordos Lastank, and the Harkonnen Assault Tank (with the Missile Tank at a *very* close second).

I would like to say; however, that I just found Ackbar's line to be the best I've heard in a while. I mean no offense to the Ordos but "the ordos have no backbone (being snakes and all)." was clever and absolutely hilarious. That was good wit, Ackbar, keep it up. :)

Furthermore, is response to ExAtreides, I would like to point out the Homeworld and Heighliner missions. While collecting resources is certainly important, the fact that some parts of the game do not require them (including a few early campaign missions) takes some from the harvester's previous importance. I do conceed, though, that in extended games, having a strong influx of melange certanly brings the player much closer to victory.

--Bashar

hmm...

atreides mongoose definitely, same with las tanks.

devastators?!??!?!!? too much investment to be a backbone, plus they're too slow.

harkonnens dont really have a backbone unit, they need to combine units more than both of the other houses.

huh...after ackbar's comment, i wonder how WW came up with the Ordos insignia...

Ackbar should learn that SNAKES HAVE A BACKBONE AND A VERY STRONG ONE AT THAT!!! Would you want to fell the venom of a Cobra, Ackbar?

*eyes glow red as Edric O prepares to bite*

Who dares awaken the snake-god Edric O?

Edric calm down, but u could think something funny up about another house and post it. I know this is dumb but how about 1 for Harkonnen: House Harkonnen is powerful. "Who in power though has a grass eater for their symbol?"

Really when u think about it it is strange. I mean what would happen if the Hark troops saw their Baron frolicing (correct spelling?) in a field and eating grass?

Now for my small speech on backbone units. No army is complete without Scouts. Scouts are one of the best units in the game. They reveal the map and reveal projections.

Ackbar, your ignorance is astounding! How old are you? You didn't seem to learn much biology... SNAKES BEING INVERTEBRATES???? Snakes are reptiles! Members of the class Reptilia, part of the phylum Vertebrata. They are vertebrates! Snakes have a backbone, a skull and a few other minor bones. Learn some biology before you make a fool of yourself!

Now I promise to clam down.

To Ackbar's credit, and the whole reason I found him humerous, was that there are certain snakes that have cartilaginous vertebrae, which would technically disqualify them from having a "backbone." I do conceed, though, that the snake on the Ordos sigil appears to be of the Elapid family which does utilize bone.

Also, to note, the Atreides sigil is a hawk and the Harkonnen a ram. Further food for thought, the Ordos snake was solely the invention of Westwood. Now Gob might be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the actual Ordos sigil, as found in the Dune Encyclopedia, is a skull.

--Bashar

It is two bones with ivy. As the Encyclopedia writes:

Or two bones white per saltire, in dexter chief entwined with ivy vert.

The Ordos symbol of a snake is taken from House Wallach which is described as:

Sable on a pale (a vertical band) argent, a closed book tenne encircled by a serpent vert.

in the books the Atreides symbol is a red hawk, Harkonnen is a blue gryphon (which is half-horse, half-bird). thats what im talkin about bros. Anyway edric, sorry im not up on the animal kingdom, but it was still funny.