If Shiroko comes back

Dunenewt

I got one and gave it back, I played tons of games on it, some are really excellent, especially since they recreate all the fun in the 16 bit systems of the 90s, with such games that no one would think to play today in his console. This includes all the Megaman/Rockman, Pokemon, Sonic Advance and more...

Doom3 is the first survival/horror FPS, the whole focus on that flashlight is cool. Dawn of war furthering the evoltion of the RTS genre seen in homeworld2, so you have squad based combat, but Dawn of War has squad customization and a resource system based on strategic points rather than harvesters and minerals strewn everywhere. Dawn of War also has a very cool moral system, should try it out (the beta) shiro and again, welcome back!

Doom 3 is not the first for anything except real-time 3d lighting.

The horror effect is rather annoying, ID idea of scaring is all those monster closets which are rather annoying and stop scaring you after the first 5/10/100/200 (Circle the answer that fits you).

As first for horror, I believ there are ton of cool games mostly for PS2, though I did not play them. I did plau "The Suffering" a month ago which has a much nicer theme and makes jump a couple of times. It defintely wins against Doom 3 with beautiful artwork, fascinating monsters (Each monster is based upon a form of executation) and it even ends without becoming boring.

Say what you want, Doom 3 is dissappoint in its content, ID tried proving it can create original content and it only showed they are bad at this. The graphics however are spectalar (Though the engine needs a couple of more years to reach its peak.)

I'd rather wait for HL2 and CS:S which should feature better content and excellent graphics.

-Shiroko

It's a boring atmosphere.

It has boring level design and you can't let it pass just because someone says it adds to atmosphere. Darkness is not atmosphere! I understand the flashlight bit, o.k. But Doom 3 isn't scary as it could be and frankly, If I was no that station in Mars, I'd kill myself long before the demons got there because it seems like the msot boring place on earth.

But anyway, I'll direct you to what I think summerizes Doom 3 excellently:

http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/columns/86/ - Shoot Club: The Doom 3 review

-Shiroko

He is right, they make a very good tech demo. But it is not a good game! I can't honestly believe someone will finish Doom 3 and wish the game was longer. Almost everyone will get bored in the middle, even though looking at the realistic shadows is very fun (Especially after you actually turn on your shadow, before that you're a ghost).

-Shiroko

RTCW isn't a good game, the multiplayer portion is, which was made by a different development team than the single player campaign.

The multiplayer is good. But it's not ID. Actually the singleplayer was contracted to gray matter, which dissappointed me there compared to Redneck Rampage and the excellent Kingpin.

-Shiroko

Blood was 3D Realms and was passed to Monolith, Shadow Warrior is also 3D Realms. Both are were on the build engine and had a lot of resemblence to Duke Nukem 3D (Also 3D Realms in case you're very young).

All those games had the one liners, which were a nice touch. Oddly enough one liners didn't caught on to well and are rather rare. I honestly think that when I blow a monster my charcater should say "Ooh, what a mass...".

-Shiroko

I personally liked Shadow Warrio'rs "sword lines..."  you chop a monster in half (it slides apart diagonally), and 'Lo Wang' says one of the following in stereotypical kung-fu movie chinese accent:

"Oh look, you falling apart!"

"There can BE only one!"

"You are oly half the man you used to be!" and various other which I forget.