Minotaurus: Why does it have legs?

Well, maybe because its easier for it to travel over rough terrain, and maybe because it looks cool, and also maybe the Atriedes wanted to have mech units instead of tanks, just to be different. I think the first reason is the more practical one, although I do not see any difference between where tanks can go, and where mechs can go in the actual game, and I agree, Minos are annoyingly slow.

I agree probably the rough terain part. Whoo-hoo you're sword masters only around 180 more posts until you're Emperor, rach for the sky. Or just reach 20 more posts for Mentat and 20 after that for Duke and the about 120 after that Emperor.

In the game minos DO go faster on land, don't they?

I agree that legs are stupid. They're too unstable. Even if they did stabilise them, it would be a lot simpler to use wheels anyway. Yes, mechs look cool, but is that really a good reason?

I don't think minos should be faster. They'd then be too good. People are already complaining that the mino's too good.

well..... faster on land

but on sand...... ever tried urunning on sand? you know what happens... now make yourself 10000x heavier you won't be able to move in sand.....

in Mechwarrior the mechs use legs because a Tank which weighs the same weight can't move as fast on tracks/wheels

a M1A2 Abraham tank weighs more than 70tons

Heh. Anyone familiar with the Macross/Robotech universe surely went 'hey, that looks familiar' when they first saw the Minotauraus. And while there are no detailed tech specs for the E:bfD units (Westwood should put those together!), I can point to the specs for the M1A2: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/3457/abrams.htm