Petroglyph...What could they be working on?

ryan3k

First, I'd like to say that I've been browsing these boards for some time, and just now decided to register to pose a question.  :)

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

I'm sure just about everyone here knows about Petroglyph... They are comprised of many former employees of Westwood.  In addition, they seem to be working on some secret "project."  Of course, its probably an RTS... but it is highly doubtful it would be from the C&C Series, as EA has the rights to it.

Now, I wonder... could the RTS that Petroglyph is working on be a continuation of the Dune series?  Does EA still have the rights to it, though?  I remember, after E:BFD came out, someone from Westwood said that it would be unlikely that they create another Dune game.  But, if Petroglyph were to create another Dune RTS, I'm sure many of us here would be deeply overjoyed!  It's nothing but hopeful speculation, though.  :-

I want to see a RTS game, like C&C or EB4D, based  in Scifi or contemporanean war, but original and with a fresh idea. (because Electronic Ass owns the licence of C&C now)

Maybe it will be the 3rd part, just without C&C label. Or maybe something fully different. But it's good to see good old guys back.

Yeah, Frank Klepacki makes some great music. You guys know where I can find any? I used to have some of the Tiberian Sun music on my PC, but since reformatting, it has gone away...

Use that XCC mixer. Favorite tool of C&C modders  ;D

Yeah,

Theres no way they can make a C&C....EA would eat them alive.

But I can see another dune game being made....EA dosent have the rights to every dune game....so that leaves room open for these guys to make a new dune game....which would be more than great!!!

Hopefully once they settle in a bit more they will fill us in on the project....

I'd like to see some interaction with the fan community before the game is made, though, if it is indeed a Dune game. I am sure there are hundreds of us who've played, debated, and reviewed Emperor, the Dune universe, and strategy gaming to death. I think this board alone would be quite a resource for game-makers, not to mention all the other fans holding their breath until for the next Dune game that wow's them. The recently-made RPG was less than a success, so... I suppose it's time to get people excited again.

I myself thought it was the case that some foundation who has the rights to all things Dune handed out onetime licenses whenever someone wanted to make a game.

On the back of the E:BfD case it says: ""Emperor: Battle for Dune" interactive game © 2001 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved. "Emperor: Battle for Dune" is a trademark of Dino De Laurentiis Corporation. "Dune" movie TM & © Dino De Laurentiis Corporation. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing Inc. All rights reserved."

From what I've gathered from this and other Dune-stuff is that that Dino De Laurentiis thingie holds all the rights to Dune, meaning they could hand out a license to Petroglyph.

To clear a few things up.  Dreamcatcher owns the rights to make games about the miniseries, EA owns the rights to make games about the films.

No mention about the books, though, and they're the important ones.