Question about Dune2...

Tinuviel

So I started playing this game a little while ago, and I noticed two things that kinda bugged me:

First: Every time you attack someone or something, you have to click on each and every of your own units and tell them individually to attack. My question is, is there a way to select and give orders to more than one guy at a time? It makes playing a little tedious, I think.

Second: Is it possible to make the soldiers move faster? They are so dang slow. When I tell a guy to attack an enemy, he walks all the way to where the enemy was... about five minutes ago. Then he has to chase all over the map for 10 minutes. Well, maybe I'm just an impatient person... you can tell me to just chill out if you want. :D

So if anyone can shed any light on this, please do so. I like the game otherwise... it's very similar to Age of Empires, just very primitive. And the subject matter is more interesting. ;D

Yes, you have to make every order per unit. However by using the minimap and the A (Attack) and M (move) keys you can do this relatively quickly.

Also, try setting gamespeed to fastest. That should fix it.

And when moving an entire army, it may be a good idea to set the game speed on slowest for a while, and reset it to fastest if your done giving the orders.

You'll get used to it, remember that Dune II was and is the first real RTS! :)

I like the game otherwise... it's very similar to Age of Empires, just very primitive. And the subject matter is more interesting. ;D

AoE is a Warcraft II clone, Warcraft II is a better Warcraft and Warcraft is a Dune 2 clone  ;) Nevertheless, Warcraft was amuch nicer clone than AoE is. It introduced such things as multiple unit selection, magic via mana, 2 types of resources, race differency. Although the characteristics of orc and human units are almost the same, that was a first step towards what different races are in Starcraft.

• 5 months later...

Second: Is it possible to make the soldiers move faster? They are so dang slow. When I tell a guy to attack an enemy, he walks all the way to where the enemy was... about five minutes ago. Then he has to chase all over the map for 10 minutes. Well, maybe I'm just an impatient person... you can tell me to just chill out if you want. :D

It's a few years since I played Dune 2 (Amiga), but if I recall correctly:

At slow game speed, the slow units (like infantry) is very very slow compared to faster units.

At faster game speed, infantry is relatively fast compared to faster units.

At the right game speed I had no problem making a trooper outrun an angry enemy harvester (changed direction often).