Dune 2: The Maker

Terror

i think this board will be used for all my projects. As 'arrakis.dune2k.com' is normally for my arrakis project, i'd rather say its now the 'arrakis world' hehe ;) so its an all-in-one package. "Arrakis" (the world) delivers all you want:

- dune 2 editor

- dune 2 clone

- dune 2 offspring

hehe :D

Great, btw i have some more things to add. I don't know if i should put it in the Dune editing thread or here, but here goes:

-Units sometimes move weird, can't exactly describe it but it's weird nonetheless.

-I can build around my conyard but not too far, even if my other buildings are adjacent to the new one. Did you make some sort of allowed building area around the con yard? Like you can build everywhere in a 7 square radius around the conyard?

-I built two refineries last game and i didn't get a free harv with the 2nd refinery.

-there's a scary lot of enemy carryalls flying over my base

-An enemy carryall once dropped a harvester near my base/tanks.

-Worm doesn't look too cool with the health bar, i think it would be cooler if it would just not be displayed.

-Rocket tank is awfully accurate (and because of that powerful) at medium range.

-I played mission 7, had a heavy factory and a house of Ix but i couldn't upgrade my heavy factory in any way.

-Units sometimes move weird, can't exactly describe it but it's weird nonetheless.

I know what you mean, units sometime move into a different direction then the direction they are facing. It looks weird yes...

(Wow, the first time I have a reason to post on this board :))

(Phew, I almost used "Modify" instead of "Quote" and that way repeating Edric O's famous mistake...)

Great, btw i have some more things to add. I don't know if i should put it in the Dune editing thread or here, but here goes:

-I can build around my conyard but not too far, even if my other buildings are adjacent to the new one. Did you make some sort of allowed building area around the con yard? Like you can build everywhere in a 7 square radius around the conyard?

-I built two refineries last game and i didn't get a free harv with the 2nd refinery.

-there's a scary lot of enemy carryalls flying over my base

-An enemy carryall once dropped a harvester near my base/tanks.

-Worm doesn't look too cool with the health bar, i think it would be cooler if it would just not be displayed.

-Rocket tank is awfully accurate (and because of that powerful) at medium range.

-I played mission 7, had a heavy factory and a house of Ix but i couldn't upgrade my heavy factory in any way.

@ first, this forum is great. I want to live it up again.

@ second, your points of attention:

- some units move weird, i still don't know why. It seems a mess-up when following the path, or when going into combat mode

- there is a range indeed. You can build around 4 units from the ConstYard. You have to build WindTraps to extend this 'range' (power supply range).

- odd about the refinery!!

- probably the enemy harvester had that cell as closest harvestable spice cell? So the carryall brought it there.

- the carryall's are build by the AI. It has 1 CarryAll per 2 harvesters.

- yes, the rocket launcher is very accurate. Needs more differentiation

- in mission 7 you cannot upgrade to super units? I thought it was from mission 8...

About the harvester... perhaps. I don't know. I do know that there isn't too much spice in in your version. I think some spice fields should be added to the maps.

You get 1 carryall per 2 harvesters? So you mean if you build 2 refinery's you don't get a free carryall with the 2nd refinery? . Anyway i think the refinery's cost should also be increased then, because the carryall is worth twice as much money as the current refinery.

What do you mean you cannot upgrade to super units? . It's not just the upgrade to devastator. I mean also the upgrade to rocket tank and siege tank both being impossible to upgrade. Those upgrades should be available from level 5 and 6

I haven't encountered that refinery bug before. I'm sure I got another harvester when I built my second refinery...

About the super units,

the Tech tree for Dune II: (A is for Atreides, H is for Harkonnen, O is for Ordos, E is for every House, U is upgrade needed)

Mission 1 new: Windtrap(E), Refinery(E), Concrete Slab 1x1(E)

Mission 2 new: Outpost(E), Barracks(AO), WOR(H), Light Factory(AO), Silo(E), Light Infantry(single)(AO), Trooper(single)(H), Trike(A), Raider Trike(O)

Mission 3 new: Light Factory(H), WOR(AO), Quad(E)

Mission 4 new: Heavy Factory(E), Infantry Squad(AO), Trooper Squad(E), MCV(EU), Harvester(E), Combat Tank(E), Wall(E)

Mission 5 new: Repair Facility(E), Gun Turret(E), Concrete Slab 2x2(EU), Launcher(AHU)

Mission 6 new: Starport(E, can't order Siege Tanks yet), High Tech Factory(E), Rocket Turret(EU), Carryall(E), Siege Tank(EU)

Mission 7 new: House of Ix(E), (Starport can now order Siege Tanks), Ornithopter(AOU), Sonic Tank(A U!!), Devastator(H U!!), Deviator(O U!!)

Mission 8 new: Palace(E), Fremen(A), Death Hand Missile(H), Saboteur(O)

Mission 9 new: nothing new.

You'll have to upgrade for every new unit/structure.

Note: The Sardaukar share the same tech tree as the Harkonnens, except that they do not have Devastators.

If you need I can find out what building needs what building before you can build that one (like you need a Light Factory before a Heavy Factory)

There wasn't a power supply range in Dune II, I'm just saying that, I don't say it should be removed.

Yeah, i knew about the tech tree in dune 2. I hadn't seen that harvester bug before no. But it just happened to me once, and i'm realy sure about that.

Didn't the emperor have all 3 unique units in dune2? But just not build them?

I think so. I'm not 100% sure. And it didn't realy have any extra value to me but I think that he could build all 3 yes. Or at least the sonic and the devastator. Not sure about the deviator.

i did not encounter any upgrade problems so far. What mission/house etc?

EDIT:

I have found that in the upgrade code the mission is not counter properly. In the demo, the tech level is like DUNE 2 + 1 mission.

So, in Mission 8 you can do things you can do in Dune 2 already in Mission 7...

its odd though because a normal tank should be bought, and a rocket launcher too.

yes , some missions use SEED files i do not have. I have the utilities to reveal SEED maps though. I will consider this, but i am not in the mood now to get them revealed right now. For the moment i am satisfied with the missions that work ;)

Perhaps it is even more cool to create totally new campaigns for DUNE 2 - The Maker? (You can try this yourself, with the map editor built in)... and original DUNE 2 missions are optional?

I can try to create a new campaign, if there is going to be an advanced trigger editor (well, not like the Warcraft III one) then I think I can make some nice missions, and more variated then the original Dune II missions :)

Although it would be nice to have the original campaigns as well...

I noticed another odd bug.

If you order a unit (happens with more then 1 too) to move to somewhere, and after that order you let your tactical view show something else (as long as you can't see that unit anymore) you will notice on the radar that the unit does not move. But when you go view that unit, it starts moving. And when you move the tactical view again so that you can't see the unit, the unit keeps moving as it should.

ok, wait let me get this straight.

You have 1 (or more units) in your view (you can see them).

You click on them, select them, you order to move them somewhere where you CANNOT see the units (so your view is changed , you can't see the units). THe units will NOT move?

Only when you get back to the units, to 'view' them, they start moving?

It works more like this:

I select a unit (or more) order it to move somewhere, but I want it to move outside my view range, so while having the unit selected, I scroll to that position I want to move the unit to, and I give the order. But nothing happens (I can wait for hours) until I scroll back to get a view of that unit, the the unit starts (you don't see it standing still however) moving to the destination.

This may be different from what is said before, but this must be it.