Emperor crashes to desktop

TagDaze

Hi. I installed Emperor: Battle for Dune succesfully, but when I start the game, I see the BFD-splashscreen, the screen turns black for a second, and then I get kicked back to desktop. I am not using any firewall or anti-virus program, and I applied all updates to my Windows XP through Windows Update.

My specs:

Pentium IV 3.06 GHz

1024 MB RAM

5 GB harddiskspace free on E: (games-drive)

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (Kyro II Chipset)

DirectX 9.0b

The diagnostic tools that came with BFD say that I have DX8, and -1218 MHz. (Yes, a negative number)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly have you installed the SP 1 service pack from windows,do you have via chipsets in your comp ?

Please run DXDIAG and post the report here in this thread.To run Dxdiag simply choose the run tab from the start menu,type in DXDIAG,run all the tests and then save the report as a text file,attach it to your post. :)

The diagnostic tool that came with EBFD isn't written for NT4/Win2K/Win XP. It doesn't recognize it.. That's why that output doesn't make sense.

Anyways,

First off, update your video card drivers. Lower your desktop res to 1024 * 768. Make sure you have the appropiate monitor installed. Update your mptherboard chipset drivers.

Have you tried windows compatibility mode ?

Nothing like a good bump to get helped with your tech issues ;D

My videocard drivers are the most recent there are, as are those of my BIOS and my chipset. I tried switching the resolution to 1024x768, but to no avail. Compatability mode doesn't help.

As for my screen... it has a "digital" brand on it. (lowercase, every letter in a red square), that's all I know.

Well, your video card drivers are from 2002, not exactly new I'd say. But I'll guess it'll have to do.

I'm wondering one thing though, I seem to remember something with Kyro cards and EBFD if I'm not mistaken. I just can't remember what it was..

Erjin999

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. I didn't have any problems installing Dune anyway.

Nyarlathotep

I know my drivers are not new, but they are the most recent.

Hmm, EBFD + Kyro = Failure, you say? I think I played a rip once on this PC...

TagDaze, does this mean you did actually try it ? I ask because it is not something to fix the installation in an obvious way, it actually fixed EXACTLY what you have described your problem to be (crash to DT).

That doesn't mean that the problem that the patch addresses is the only one with these symptoms, but that it doesn't fix a problem with installation only reaching a certain point or something. I used to get 100% installed, run the game, then get kicked back to the desktop. When I found the patch, I tried it and again I got a 100% install, but this time it worked !

Well, if you have tried it and it didn't work then I am sorry, butI have no other ideas that Nyar isn't working with you on...

TagDaze, does this mean you did actually try it? I ask because it is not something to fix the installation in an obvious way, it actually fixed EXACTLY what you have described your problem to be (crash to DT).

Yes, I tried it as soon as I read your post.

Do you run anything in the background while playing?

MSN Messenger 6.1 + Plus! Extension

GetRight

Intel Active Monitor

That's all. (I don't need a lot)

Prince of Persia Sands of Time isn't compatible with my videocard either, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that. I had to downgrade my drivers for RA2 too, but I already tried both versions. I hate my drivers.

TagDaze, try closing all background programs you've got running.

I'm having the exact same problems (running Win2k, 256MB RAM, XP2000, DX9, etc). I tried the install patch but it's saying it can't find the game1.cab file.

I'm not a tech expert so pardon any missing info/me being lame and not seeing something.

Can anyone help?

Could you attach your dxdiag (Go to start => Run and there type dxdiag. Once done, run the tests on the sound and display tab. When tests are run, go to the first tab and click "Save all info". Attach the text file to your reply).

I have the same problem.  I am not at home so I can't send my DXDiag info.

I don't have Norton installed, and I am sure I had EBFD working on my system before under XP, but I since then I've replaced my video card (Geforce 3 to ATI Radeon 9800), my sound card (SB Live to Audigy), and DX (from 7 to 9b).  I suspect it's a video card issue or a codec problem.

I've tried a noCD crack (in case it was copy protection), several different codec packs, newer drivers for my video card, and disabling my sound card in DX.  I tried all the different compatability modes and even downloaded the Compatibility Tools from MS (which did have a listing for EBFD, fyi).  I cannot get it to load - splash screen, then I see Dune in my taskbar and Game.exe using 99% of my CPU, but that's about it.

Install the game with the install fix. Use the install fix exes so the game can start without the CD in the drive.

This is a problem that frequently occurs with XP machines and one that mrdozy had for a long time. It's linked to detection of the CD. If you use a crack it should fix it (the emperor exe from the install fix acts as a splash crack - but you still need the cd to play an actual game.) Try it out.

Install the game with the install fix. Use the install fix exes so the game can start without the CD in the drive.

This is a problem that frequently occurs with XP machines and one that mrdozy had for a long time. It's linked to detection of the CD. If you use a crack it should fix it (the emperor exe from the install fix acts as a splash crack - but you still need the cd to play an actual game.) Try it out.

Sorry - I left that out in my haste to post.  I did try that and it didn't work :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I have the same problem with EBFD. About 1-2 years ago I had the game installed and it worked fine. Now I can install it but I cant play it. The emperor logo shows up and then nothing happens. I have tested to change most drivers and other methods.

But so I heard about someone who said something about installing the game from install fix and start the game with install fix exes to bypass cd identification or something like that. Plz could that person tell me more about that. I dont understand what the install fix is. I cant find any file with that name anywhere. Plz help.

Thanks for your help. I think it was the right thing to do even if i didnt test it.

I have 2 windows xp installations at 2 different partitions. One totally clean woth no programs for backup and starting up problems. There I installed EBFD and it worked completely fine.