Zamboe

I agree. We should have at least some discussion on whether or not this forum needs another moderator before we close it down. And, if not that, we should at least have a sort of... "State of the PRP Forum" discussion, see what people are thinking, see what's working/not working.

United States of Gobalopper indeed.  ;)  Anyhow, dunno who locked Zamboe's topic.  However I can answer his question on Edric replying after the topic was locked...the Staff can reply to locked topics without unlocking them.  (I've done it before by accident and had to remove my posts in case you werw wondering how I knew.  :-[ )

I'm going to deal with this tomorrow. At this point I'm disappointed in both emprworm and EdricO but more with emprworm. The idea behind the PRP boards is to create a discussion for different ideas and well emprworm seems to be abusing those priveleges at times. EdricO shouldn't have replied back to the locked thread but everyone makes mistakes.

What we really need here is for people to respect eachother. The last little while I have seen a serious lack of that.

What should someone do and what shouldn't isn't important when talking about past. Everyone here has already made own view about it. It's a scar on their own honor, and I think we don't have to talk about it more.

I replied in the locked topic in order to give my reasons for locking Emprworm's original thread.

The only thing wrong in PRP is the garbage that comes out of certain people's mouths. The problem isn't WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. This is a forum for political, religious and philosophical discussion, not a forum for flaming, name-calling and taking a piss at other people's opinions and beliefs.

superimposing a swastika on an American map, automatically disqualifies anyone from accusing someone else of "xenophobia" this I wholeheartedly agree with.

First of all, that was something like 3 years ago. It has no bearing on what's happening now. A lot of things have changed since then. I think I can say I grew older and wiser - while you did not.

Second of all, when you superimpose a swastika on the map of Nazi Germany, who are you trying to represent? The German people or the German government? I'd wager it's the latter.

Insulting and degrading governments is, as you would say, "free game". However, dragging an entire people in the mud is not.

Now let me make this clear:

Any topic that doesn't follow the most basic rules of civility WILL be locked and/or removed. This applies to everyone, including Emprworm and myself.

If you find anything objectionable, degrading and/or inflammatory in my posts, then by all means, speak up about it. If you do NOT, however, then stop comparing me to Emprworm. I do not lower myself to his level.

I replied in the locked topic in order to give my reasons for locking Emprworm's original thread.

The only thing wrong in PRP is the garbage that comes out of certain people's mouths. The problem isn't WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. This is a forum for political, religious and philosophical discussion, not a forum for flaming, name-calling and taking a piss at other people's opinions and beliefs.

First of all, that was something like 3 years ago. It has no bearing on what's happening now. A lot of things have changed since then. I think I can say I grew older and wiser - while you did not.

First of all, STOP sending me IMs, this is not an issue that should be treated in private, this is a concern about the freedom on this PRP forum, therefore I will act public.

So you Edrico replied because you had to give your reasons, how about the right of others to reply/answer.

It is intolerance in its highest expression.

Stop acting like a judge and pretending tell people what should post and how should post. What you have done since I started visiting this forum is precisely what you critize now.

About your swastica issue with the US map, it was not 3 years ago but less. The point is that no one of the mods at that time even locked your thread, I remember that that image was public for quite a time. Those were times of more tolerance. Now that you have to power to let us read / write just what you want you have made this entire PRP forum a shame.

Since you are staying as mod in PRP then I have no more interest in participating here. Rules have changed.

I am leaving.

I couldn't find a way to delete this account.

Please delete it.

Do you know what overreacting means?

I locked an offensive, inflammatory topic. Big deal. Other mods do it all the time. Why is it suddenly such a big issue when I do it?

As far as mods go, I think I can say I'm the most tolerant of them all. How many topics have I locked? By comparison, how many topics has Gob locked? Or Mahdi?

Tolerance and freedom of speech are two ideals that I hold dearly. However, on a forum meant for civil discussion, there are some limits on HOW you can talk. You can't go about calling people "fucking sons of bitches pieces of shit", for example, and cry about "intolerance" when someone bans you.

There are no limits on WHAT you can say, however. If Emprworm had made his point in a more civil manner, there wouldn't have been any problems with it at all.

Second of all, when you superimpose a swastika on the map of Nazi Germany, who are you trying to represent? The German people or the German government? I'd wager it's the latter.

Insulting and degrading governments is, as you would say, "free game". However, dragging an entire people in the mud is not.

Now let me make this clear:

Any topic that doesn't follow the most basic rules of civility WILL be locked and/or removed. This applies to everyone, including Emprworm and myself.

If you find anything objectionable, degrading and/or inflammatory in my posts, then by all means, speak up about it. If you do NOT, however, then stop comparing me to Emprworm. I do not lower myself to his level.

Government is usually a reflection of people, especially today when we have democracy. There were no green martians behind nazism either. Word "polis", word core of "politics", means society, and would you ban every social question? Because it's composed of institution-less people? Highly senseless widerspruch. Or what if we would discuss Hegel's philosophy, then "flaming" against nations would be inevitable, tough it depends on your levels if it would be primitive or constructive. If someone shows xenophoby, it shouldn't be locked, I can say these forums are to discuss such things and try to convince them with arguments. However, when such discussion is simply cut off because of "political incorrectness", how can we talk about our own values?

I have my own side here. Emprworm has made many senseless forums, which could be easily in one sole topic. However, causa shouldn't be the containment of these threads, but number of threads itself.

First of all, the topic [jackhammer-pound, lest we forget] that Edric initially locked was legitimately offensive. That was my first reaction upon seeing it, and I did not think it would last beyond 10 posts -- apparently, the forum was more active than usual, at that point.

Secondly, I agree with Gob that what we need to see here is more respect and common decency shown to each other and with each other's beliefs and opinions. Granted, free speech should not be impinged upon, but I know that there is a way to express our views without offending anyone. And if we are discussing topics that are, by nature, offensive, we can post up disclaimers so as not to offend anyone. But, it remains a complex problem, it seems -- because I am sure that someone laid down the law long before I got here, and it seems that things devolved pretty quickly.

Just show some respect to others like they're also human beings, that's all.

Also, I think Edric is in a bit of a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation. Being the mod of the PRP forum is like being the Speaker of the House in the US Congress. Half the time, what you do (even when done for legitimate reasons) is going to be shot at as being "political" or "biased" -- and we can't really help that. Either Edric acts and removes offensive material (which, in doing so, he gets accused of being bigoted, or whatever), or Edric puts up with offensive material. It's a tough situation. Personally, I thought things were working fine before, and that its only been these past few days that have seen some crap. I hope that helps?