27/8 Discussion Topic - multiplayer Emperor

davo

Firstly, thanks to the people who replied to last week's topic :)

This week's topic is on all things on multiplayer Emperor. So if anyone got some multiplayer issues they want to get off their chest, any complaints, any suggestions for improvement etc, this is the thread to air your views :)

Gob has selected a topic that I have experience at all in answering :P

I lived in Australia and got a 56K modem which is generally doublely bad (well at least with my experiences) for playing online games when the server is based overseas :( ... and have not really tried an online Emperor game yet.

So I got question for someone who lives in Aust. and has a modem connection, is how well does WW-Online Emperor games run?

Cheers

Guest Tom the Great

i dont know what week it is, this might be old but i'll reply anyway. I honestly dont like multiplayer in emperor. Well, maybe not the multiplayer itself, but the other people who play. I have yet to play a game of emperor online where i havent been rushed. For those of you who dont understand this term, it means that a player builds really fast a bunch of tanks or other vehicles, or even infantry and attacks you before your ready to defend yourself. Well, this really ruins the fun i think. I mean, it doesnt take to much skill to build 80 buzzsaws and attack when you have only 3 minotarus('s?). Well anyway, the orginization is great, but i would try and play people that you know personally, cuz you'll get rushed.But besides that, definetly great fun.

I like the game; its fun, its got good graphics, and the game play is balanced(for the most part, although the Atriedes seem a bit stronger if played correctly). I have experienced a whole lot of rushing tactics on the multiplayer games, it is frustrating sometimes, because; how fun is it to play a game and lose in the first 5 minutes because someone blows up your carryalls and harvesters.

Well, I agree, it is more fun when the games last long enough to actually build a base and an army. One way to do this is playing against friends, or in custom games, and establish a no rush rule, or no attack in the first # minutes ect.

Another way,(you almost have to do this when you play the tournament games because they usually rush), is to find a way to defend against the rush, or build a rush of your own. Personally, I defend against it, and I have found that this throws off the rusher's game somewhat, allowing a more competitive, better (and fun,thats the point right?) game.

Quick rush defense strategy for ATR-you don't neccesarily have to go straight for the high tech units, in fact you can build quite a nice early defense force with the cheaper units, then get the high tech stuff after you can defend yourself. Early Defense force units- 5-10 sandbikes, 2 mongooses, 3-10kinjal(very effective unit if used correctly, learn to use the "D" key for deployment),-snipers, and reg. infantry.

nd deploy near harvesters, and some in base, on inf. rock or near a MG turret. A small force of kinjal's can decimate a large force of buzzsaws, if on inf. rock, they also need support(i.e. sandbikes, and snipers, and lets not forget the reg. light infantry, which are cheap and provide many targets. Take your initial units and move them imidiately to where your harvesters are,( a few sandbikes(300 solaris) can easily take out a missle tank(1200?)

I have found,

that the majority of the good tournament players go straight for your harvesters, so defend them, or attack his, and play LAN, or custom with friends, and establish a no rush rule at beginning. Once you get past the rush, defend the base, and build up a nice army. Oh yea, I almost forgot, FREMEN, they are relatively cheap and very very effective, and thier building does not require power, so you can build them early. Saudakar are good, but better later in the game, because they are more expensive and take longer to build. I have a 56k, and have experienced very little lag, or connection problems with the multiplayer. So far,its been fun, and competitive;)

GLHF, hope this helps :)

I personally don't like EB4D's multi as much as I would like to. First of all the main problem is lag, but as with any 3d RTS this is expected. The game runs really good on my comp, never slowing down for anything, so multi for me is unplayable... you could say that I've been spoiled by having a good comp. However at times its tolerable, fortunately the games action is fairly fast paced. But unless the lag is cleaned up, I think I'll just stick with Red Alert 2

Guest VeF-Viper

No the game is very FAST you just need a bigger coputor to know it  ;)

Andybody else got any complains on Emperor: battle for dune.

You will have to face me.

www.VeF.Has.it

i just cant play online :( it comes up an "out of sync" error every single time, i aint got ne mods watsoeva installed when playin it and i've even tried uninstallin it, bakin up the save games on disk, deletin the WHOLE of emporer of my hard drive, reinstallin and patchin and it STILL comes up. i think its cos i can only get a 28.8 kbps connection :( ah well, wuldnt exactly b worth playin on 28.8k neway :(