Making a new computer?

desert_storm

Ok, I am thinking about building myself a desktop computer.  I have never done this before and I have no clue how to go about it.  My questions are, have any of you built your own computer?  How much does it cost?  where is the best place to buy the stuff?

You mean, like assemble all the parts in one box? Yeah i did that. It's not extremely hard. Just make sure that you put everything in smoothly, and in the right order. Don't force anything, because hardware realy doesn't like that.

Let me know if the link Gryphon provided helped you in any way. If not, I can try to give you a more detailed description :)

No, not realy.  It is out of date and I allredy know how to put it together.  I didn't read all of it, I did't have much time.  But what i do want to know is, Where is the best place to buy the parts, what kinds of parts, and ow much they cost.  From skimming threw the first page of that thred, it didn't seem like I would get the answers I wanted.

Best place ? That depends really. Do keep in mind that when you buy parts and a something is broke, you don't want to go through to much hassle to get a replacement. You could try to search for parts online, but personally I prefer to buy them at a store near me.

What kind of parts are you looking for ? What kind of pc do you want to build ?

If you decide to go for a Intel P4:

Asus P4C800 DeLuxe

Intel P4 3Ghz processor (800FSB)

If you decide to go for an AMD processor:

Asus A7V880

AthlonXP 3200+

In both cases, I would say 1gig DDR400 ram (preferably from Corsair).

As far as sound goes, go look for an Creative Audigy card (either 1 or 2). If you find one, make sure it's an OEM version. This will save you a lot of money compared to a retail version.

As far as graphics cards go, it's really hard to give you any advice. New cards are supposed to come out in June, which will make the current card prices drop. If that's the case, either go for one of the new cards (ATI's x800 and Nvidias FX 6800). These two have a tru performance increase compared to the current cards. If that's not needed, either check for the ATi' 9800, or Nvidia's 5900 (5950).

If you choose either of the above boards, make sure you get SATA harddrives. Make sure you get at least a 400watt PSU. 500watt prefered.