Knights of the Old Republic

TMA_1

This game is now close to beat Tie Fighter in the Best Starwars Games category. lol there isnt a category and nothing can beat tie fighter, but still this game is awesome! What I love most about it is the story. I may complain about lucas and the movies, but there is one thing that makes me come back to the starwars universe, that is the alternate storylines written by other writiers. Though Starwars is a mishmash of many things, it is a template for so many good ideas, and my favorite part of starwars are the stories of the fall of glory of the old jedi order. When a few of the ancient jedi turned rogue and found a planet called Korriban, with force sensitive people called the Sith. They pandered to them as Gods, and the sith believed it and intermarried and became the great people and empire of the Sith. Thats just the start of it though. I love the stories of the past history from the Great Hyperspace Wars to Darth Bane. Love the graphic novels, even though I am not usually a fan of that genre.

anyways.lol This game is a little further in the future and it starts just after the Mandilorian Wars (you know that cool ship the Slave 1 which was created by the ancient Mandilorians? yeah its them). The story goes that after traveling in many parts of uncharted territory many great heroes fell to Sith influence. So you have to fight against the Sith who have grown immensly powerful after being hidden for awhile. It is great stuff, good story.

I love the game though, and the fact that you can largely choose your path. There are things left to be desired. For example the beefy specs that are needed to play, good grief and I have never had an install take that darn long.lol What do you guys think of it though? I know many of you have played it and what do you guys think of the gameplay and story? also are any of you guys fans of the extended starwars universe, specifically dealing with ancient starwars history?

Also, I am wondering if anybody out there can tell me if I can somehow lower the choppiness of the game. It runs okay, but not nearly as I would like it. Would any patches help this out? I have direct X 9 and a geforce fx 5200, which is more than enough the nwhat the specs say, and I have a decent processor and more than enough ram. any help here?

4 CDs, extreme requirements, and yet graphics on a level like two years ago. Still, no idea where is some improvement since JK2. AvP2 runs perfectly on <1 GHz comps and is thousand times better playable.

the mx series? beh! lol the fx 5200 is better than the mx series in my opinion, I asked around to make sure too, also a lot more options and capabilities that the mx doesn have. Obviously though it isnt better than the other more modern cards out there, but it definitely should do better than the minimum requirements of a 32 meg 3d card. mine is 128 with all the options and it still is bothering me with this stuff.

and I agree caid, but I just love the story so much, so it is okay in my book.

That game was amazing.  I'm with you on the debate between that and TIE Fighter (Although I also liked X-Wing, since you could do the Death Star trench run).  The Music in KotOR was really good - John William is good, but it gets annoying when everything Star Wars related has the same music - and the story was very well done.  The locations were vibrant and interesting, and there were many paths one could take, although many conversation options led to the same responses.  The little factoids in the loading screens were neat.

I like the "ancient" history of Star Wars.  It's much better than some of the garbage in Lucas' prequels.

The Imperial March is strictly for the Empire, for me.  If they had used it in KotOR, they would have just been whoring it.

The secret missions/objectives in TF were very interesting, and that Elite tatoo was pretty sweet.  Personally, I liked Admiral Zaarin best.  He was just downright cool, with his white sideburns and crisp uniform.  And in X-Wing: Alliance, he makes some pretty messed up Tie designs.

lol who doesnt love the tattoo? ahh the game makes you feel so damn cool and so powerful.lol it makes you proud to fight for the emperor, which is pretty darn disturbing.hehe

What's wrong with serving the Empire?  Sure, it may be racist, totalitarian, and cruel.  Okay, it's leader may be a man who's literally been physically corrupted by his own evil.  But at least they're using alternative energy sources for their fighters.  Have you not seen the solar panels on the TIE Fighters?  It's a hell of a lot better than that fossil fuel burning Rebel scum!

I thought X-wing Alliance was great. Dark forces, Dark forces 2 and JK2 were all great. (Never played Jedi Academy). Haven't played KoTOR. I do have galactic battlegrounds and it is pretty fun. But it's not realy that great. If you like star wars it's fun. But if you're not, don't get it.

if you like SW KotOR is a must, there's no way around it. It's the best story IMO so far and it truly gives you the feeling of being in a SW movie yourself, the fact that you get a Madalorian a wookie with a life debt and 2 droids (the one is a good laugh) as companions is a + as well. som of your companions, will drive you mad however.

Alright. I don't have a great system though. So what would be the sys requirements? Wait.. i can look it up for myself ofcourse...

But if it's not too expensive i might just get it.

edit:

alright, i do not reach the recommended. But i'm a bit above the required so it should run. And i know that i'm not allowed to discuss this. But i saw that it can be downloaded... although 2.8 gb i might give the dl a try.

"But at least they are using alternative sources of fuel."

lol... ahh that made me laugh. but quite true! :)

X wing alliance was great! I totally agree, and is much better than the shmitty xwing vs tie fighter... beh.lol

most starwars games have frankly sucked, but those that were good are just plain classics.

I just love in tie fighter when you become apart of the story, how you become so famed that you are looked upon in awe by others. "Thank goodness you came, you coming here may turn the tide of battle!"

ego boost... lol

And I love the level where you are set up, just because you are so damn dangerous. hehe ANd thrawn is aweosme I totally have to agree.

I also liked a few other starwars games, but in your opinion guys, what are some of the worst starwars games?

mine would be ones like xwing vs tie fighter, and pod racer... makes me shudder thinking about it.lol all those stupid quotes repeated by the horrible actor played as anakin.lol

oh and that one episode one game where you just follow through what the movie showed, it was bad.

Haven't played Force Commander. But it should be horrible realy :)

I have played:

X-wing vs. Tie Fighter

X-wing Alliance

Dark Forces

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight 2

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns

Star Wars Pod racer

Star Wars Episode 1 Phantom Menace

Star Wars Rebel Assault

Star Wars Rebel Assault 2

Star Wars Shadows of the empire (At my friends)

Star Wars Rogue Squadron (At my friends)

I think that's about it. Personally i found Rebel Assault to be rather bad.

Pod racer was not great, but it was entertaining for me. Because the graphics were good and everything seemed to go so fast.

X-Wing Alliance is one of the best i've played. Great campaign and skirmish mode. (Much better than X-wing vs. Tie fighter)

Dark forces 1,2 and JK2 were all 3 incredible for the time.

Galactic Battlegrounds +exp was an Age of Empires 2 mod really, but i enjoyed it so no complains there.

I'd like to play SW:Galaxies, but I wont pay the monthly fee, I simply can't afford it, and it will ruin my life as well. But in SW:G you can play everything you want, I'd go for Smuggler or Bounty Hunter.

But I agree on Dark Forces Kyle was great in that first game, it seems all new SW games (FPS and RPG's) you have to become a jedi and I think that's too bad.