Cooling problems

I've recently bought a new computer and it seems to crash/freeze alot, especially when I play games. I have a feeling that the problem is with the cooling. So my questions are; can cooling cause this kind of a problem? Does it effects only on the CPU or can it cause problems to the graphic card as well? And how do I fix it?

P.S.

I have 2 Fans.

Overheating can effect your CPU, GPU, memory, MoBo - usually the northbridge I thought and in some extream cases your HD's.

You might want to try gaming with the case open.

What kind of CPU and grafics card do you have ?

The problem you described could very well be related to a heat issue. LikeĀ  Gryphon suggested, try playing with your case open. Preferably, have an external fan blow cool air inside. That's the best way to determine any heat issues.

I reckon that if it's a freeze problem, it's either your cpu fan or your vpu fan.

Vpu fans that come with graphics cards are often good enough. However, processor fans have a tendency to be poor.

u bought an intel presscot processor! :P

they are bugget and overhatted, intel said that it will fix them withing a month or so, check this review for more info about presscot processor :

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

btw, if u bought this pc http://www.pc2go.co.il/eMall/product.asp?pc=43998&club= u will gain 300nis, and they both have the same parts...

does Intel still sell non-boxed versions ?

Every model comes in both a boxed and a bulk version.

Do you have some kind of hardware monitoring software?

To test if heat is the problem with your computer, do the following:

Download the attached program I made for loading the CPU. The program will stress the CPU so that its temperature will rise until it's at the temperature where the cooling capabilities of the fan and the CPU heat emittance rule eachother out(maximum CPU temperature).

The program will anticipate how hot the CPU is, and tell you when it thinks your cpu is at maximum temperature.

When you get the message telling you to run a hardware monitor to check the cpu temperature, you must have downloaded a hardware monitor. Run it when prompted.

Display the result on the forum.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Hmm, not good.

Well, I'd check my fan for dust!

If it's not dusty, buy a new fan. It's not expensive at all.

Bad for your Dutch :P... Here in Norway we can buy bulk ones.

Buying boxed is stupid when thinking of overclocking, I've heard.

Well i just came back from the store i bought it and i replaced my comp. Now the motherboard is P4S800D. It's a much more better one. So I'll try to play many games and if it will crash too so I'll run the test and post the results.

Anyway, thx alot cyborg and the other guys. I have recieved a fast and good help. :)

My sister had the exact same problem today, actually :P

Talking about coincidence... The computer turned itself off, and even the chassis was burning hot to the touch... I ordered her a new and better fan.

Shame on Intel for their poor boxed fans!

• 2 weeks later...

The best method I have found to cool a PC Graphics card is to use a special fan that fits into a PCI type slot,ie it screws in as if it was a PCI card.

Since then I have no problems gaming for long periods of time,I'm not sure where you can buy them though,a friend sent me one from Canada.

These PCI type fans are great because they suck the hot air from the side,so If you position it next to your Graphics card it boosts the air flow alot.

My FPS went up by 20 FPS so for an ATI 9800 Pro that is some achievement.