Harv Drops, You Gotta Love Em'...... Right?

Rostok

I've honestly not seen much harv drops, personally.  though generally when someone is getting rushed or 2x teamed, the other teammate (hopefully) will be sending in reinforcements, or at least helping building flame/turret in the base, generally stops most early on rushes

Though those damn leeches in your spice field are sometimes annoying, its just as easy to put a few troops around your spice field to guard against them (assuming your not watching for them)

Though getting droned early in the game is (personally) my pet peeve, problaby because I'm not so good at defending against them early on ;)

Engies are there to engineer buildings, drones to drone carryalls and harvs to harvest, not be a decoy with a lot of armour. I have had a harv drop where I had called my whole army out to the middle of Fishers plain to help my ally, who had done the same. We were attacking the last of our enemies whos major army was in the middle. Now as some of my units were faster then others, I ended up with a line of units.

Harvs were dropped along the path my units were taking and they started to attack the harvs, and were too late to make it to the middle, my ally defeated. Now the harvs were done by one of the enemies we had practically wiped out, but they had a big effect on the game as my ally was on his own having wiped out another enemey, had a small army. Together we would have won but the harvs delayed me and he quit.

Its a shame that happened. Thats the problem I have with harvs. If it was a normal part of the game, and everyone did it and it wasnt so unexpected, I wouldnt mind. Butit comes "out of the blue" everytime.

After seeing this topic yesterday, I decided to see how much effect it really has. I actually did it a few times today. The result was that I won some battles that I would not have otherwise won. I didn't use them to rush, but rather used them to help fend off a larger army. It may be a despised tactic...but if it works, why not do it?

SD I have to disagree. When facing a stronger army is exactly when I would use them to even things out for me. Maybe that's a sign of me being a weaker player or a newb? I don't know. But I do know that they do come in handy occasionally. And I do feel that everyone should employ any means necessary to win. Ever hear the old saying..."All is fair in love and war"? Well I consider this game a form of warfare, and if you're not using "all" units that could help you win, you're cheating yourself out of a victory.

Theres are three things I wanna say about harvs in general.

1. USE THEM TO RUN MEN OVER.

2. GET MONEY FROM THEM (OBVIOUSLY)

3. HARV DROP THEM

I know that all you guys know this but to get a more better understanding that this is all a harv can really do. And if you are ordos then (heres a strategy that might help which may require skill)

with ur big or small army, make sure you have 1 or 2 deviators close by so if any harvs do occur to be used then u have the advantage to kill the enemies army who tried to harvdrop you. So it basicly backfires on the enemy by deviating that harv so it works to ur advantage instead, but thats if you get to that stage though. hehe 8)

• 2 months later...

The problem people have with harvie drops is it's exploting a game fault, in that they are always the 1st automatic target, so it is seen as abusing the system.

I think it can be valid at times, it one thing to delibrately drop a harvie whilst attacking to gain an advantage in an early rush or doing it as happen to Erin. I would say in his case the other players ally was doing what he could to help save a defeat and therefore was a valid tactic.

It's like when a Hark player bombs the crap out of all your refs, he creates yuu a huge problem. say i lose 3 full refs. I now have 9 harvies all trying to get into my remaing unupgrade ref, my spice flow is ruined and none recoverable. I would say fine and drop those 9 harvies into the path of his ground force whilst attacking and start rebuilding my infastructure, as i have to change my concentration back and forth between the battle and build/defence, this in a way compensates for that distraction. And my opponent reaps the consequeces of his actions. ;D

I think between alchemi and guns, the whole idea has been well explained. And as for jeffyboy, he is right, the really annoying part is when its done early on and it can make a huge difference to the battle.

For me a major problem is it is not expect, its not yet (hopefully never will be) a normal part of an attack. It would be cool if everyone did it and we made it standard warfare. Then there would be no advantage (unfair/suprise).

• 3 weeks later...

well the reason not everyone does it is because it does hurt your cash flow.

and some people do BO's that run at zero and so they cannot afford to have a harvy in their attacks.

But we would be better harvdroppers, having mastered the technique as the l33ts we are (!)  ::)

I agree with you doompy, about why people dont harv drop. I wish either no one does or we all do. Its only so effective becuase of the suprise element.