Harv Drops, You Gotta Love Em'...... Right?

Rostok

Harvester drops are perhaps the most despised tactic in the game. It is when you grab one of your harvesters, tell it to move into the enemy's army (or right next to it) then move in your army behind it. The theory is, the enemy's units will attack the harvester mainly, allowing you to destroy their army. I LOVE the harv drop, i think its lame, but usually effective. It can sometimes mean you can destroy an army larger than yours with minimal losses, and it can help in a rush (fly in a harv to distract turrets). What do you think?

it totally depends on the firepower of the enemy.....

if the enemy has tons of anti-personnel weapons instead of anti-armor weapons.... then the harvy will last for a loooong time and you will slaughter them..... however if the enemy has plenty of high power anti-armor units then the harvy will only last for a few seconds and will be useless....

good example.... atreides guarding base with lots of inf and snipers.... send in a harvy.. they shoot at harvy forever.. send in gass and dusties and slaughter them....here the harvy was wonderful tactic....

bad example.... hark is guarding base with 30 sards and 10 missile trucks.... you send in a harvy..... harvy is destroyed in 2 seconds.... in this example the harvy was useless....

so in order to make yourself immune to harvy drops you need to make sure your army has enuf "punch" to destroy any decoy harvies used.

;)

lol, I find them quite annoying because there are better ways to play the game and show your real potential versing dropping a harvester into the enemies army so that you can go and shoot at them. LOL, IMHO.

I think it's very lame, it makes the game completely unfair. you can be winning but then in a sec cause of 1 #$%# harv you will lose, no need for special skills just a little army and 1 or or more harvies.

hehe Rostok, you can't direct me to your signature. ;)

If you have a hark or ordos wor, it means that most of the army, at least at the early stages of the game, consists of buzz/dusties and simple soldiers. 1 harv is enuff to make a player lose all his army in seconds...

mortars?  AA troopers?  Sards?  Sard elites? ,maybe a few lasers?  come on .. at least one or two tanks?  .... something!!!!  just add a few of what i mentioned and the harvy will die pretty fast.

if all you are using is dusties and buzz then something is wrong !!

if all else fails.... BACK AWAY from the harvy .. heheheh.

;D

Guys just m,ove your troops away from the harv :O

Aint that hard, its a part of the game, as a good player you should be prepared for it and be able to avoid/stop it, but dont whine wenn some one does that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

erm ya... I did like harvester drops...

When I played 10k without pre-built on knife fight (one of my favo settings  ;D) I needed it sometimes to beat a harkonnen rush. I myself played ordos, and when u see the harkonnen player rushing with buzzsaw/inf/sardaukar harv drops might get usefull  :)

But indeed I gotto submit it's only good at the beginning of the game, late game it's kinda crappy

hmm, Harv drop is just as valid as hiding your units between your harvesters, so the opponent can't attack...

Both tactics totally ok with me.... If my opponent does a harvest drop, i go away with my units, or i have a big enough army to take out the harv in a few secs....

Just remember too that when he uses his harv in an attack, then he will have no money from that harv... (plus he might even loose it)...

Anyway. The people opposing the harv drop, what do you think of hiding your units inbetween your harvesters?

Because you are choosing to attack me at my base, and I retreat, something I would do whether they were there or not. But to actively take them and use them as part of your attack stinks.

If everyone did it, and it was a part of a narmal expected attack, then that would be different, but its not, only a few not so good payers currently do it as far as I can tell...

I have not heard of such a queer strategy in my time (which means two years ago). But it sounds funny nevertheless.

Despicable? I guess it's really just a Trojan Horse. Ever seen those guys as despicable? It could well be a means to win...

Once you have a pretty large army, the odds are against you, you're broke, you just go and do it. You'll get a new harvester each time you lose your last harvester... just make sure the enemy doesn't use an advanced carryall to pick up that last harvester...

it really helps.

if you are playing 1 on 1, even 2 on 2, and you want to finish off an opponent, u drop your 12 or so harvies into and around his base/army, then attack. no matter how good his army is, if u drop them in strategic positions, you should always win the battle.

You aren't ruthless enough. It's a last resort. usually i avoid doing it because you can tell whether you will win a battle or not, but if i've got a stand off against hark and im ordos.... harvs even it for me, maybe even tilt it my way :)

I can't say that I have ever done it.And when it happens to me I there really isn't a place to fall back to. The only place I have seen it used(with any success) is in the beginning of a game to help someone rush. If they are rushing you, you have 2 choices. Stay and defend your base, or let them kill you. So moving back is not always an option.