Running Emperor from harddrive

MrFlibble

Is it possible to copy all the Emperor files to harddrive, so that there's no need for constant disk change? I know that there is a resource.cfg file in the main Emp directory that contains paths to all Emp files. How should the directory structure then look like, and what should I change?

Not sure if just editing the cfg file would work. What you could do, is to uninstall EBFD. Then copy the files from cd cd's to your harddrive and install from there. At least that way, your install directory would actually point to your harddrive.

That mean you can`t use another drive than the drive you used to install the game?

I hate changing the CDs around everytime I want to play so I have used the noCD patch. this means that I can play online or on my LAN without any CDs but I don't think I can play main game (campaign) without them (CDs).

So long as you are a legitimate owner of the game, I don't think there are any issue with this (think - key word - or maybe I should put guess - or... guy in the pub told me it was ok...). Is this a possible solution ? Would something like this satisfy ?

• 2 months later...

easiest way to ensure you don't have to change cds is to make isos from your cds, place them somewhere on your hdd and mount them with a virtual drive tool like d-tools. I run 4 virtual drives and mount everything I need. I'll do the same for other games too, just works out fine :)

Vek, you are right, but i guess depending on the security schemes used, it may need the no-cds aswell ?

Anyway, I do not have 2 Gigs free (or how ever much it does need)

And I have done with the single player mode now, its all online from here !

But, yes, you are right the way to get the whole game working just like it would with CDs is probably with ISO's...

if was a guess if there is a no-CD patch for Emperor that doesn't need the CD's at all. Red Allert for one has one. You need to copy a few files [ half the CD :P ] to your HD and then with the alternate EXE file you don't need the CD's anymore but do have the full game and films and all. . . :)

erjin it doesn't need the cds as well... you just make isos form the cd files. important is the name of the iso (all in capital letters and so on, you know what i mean) - but you don't need the cd then, because you got everything from your cd packed in that iso and mount whatever iso you like.

of course if you don't wanna play single player... you don't need the house cds with the cutscenes...

why don't you have 2gb on your hdd? i have about 50-80gb free space all the time. if it gets to 10gb i start burning dvds or buy a new hdd :D

this is another great thing with isos: you can burn all the isos and far more on just 1 dvd... you are able to have about 2-6 of your favourite games (actually I for myself only play 3 games) on just 1 dvd and load mount whatever game you like to play without changing the disc all the time - you need a dvd burner of course to do so ;)

well whatever, I guess a no-cd patch is quite useful unless of course you wanna play singleplayer and watch the cutscenes...

Vek, I think you might have slightly misunderstood me, I meant that you might need the No-CD patch, not that you might need the CD's ! I realise that having the ISO would mean that you would not need the CD, just wasn't sure about the no-cd patch.

I burn stuff to CD (No DVD burner yet  :-) but still never have enough space...plus my brother steals it all. I may try your idea of putting iso's on DVD's and mounting them. Give me excuse to buy a DVD burner !  :P

Gryphon, the no-cd for Emp doesnt need the CDs at all, at least not the one I am using.