Redux 3.0

neonext

For those who don't remember me, I'm the creator of the Dune 2 clone Redux.

My rewrite of the first Redux, ended with Redux 2 v0.8. I'm just going to consider it to be Redux 2.8, since it was essentially the same game but with a complete rewrite of the engine (plus added features and updates).

I got pretty far on this version of Redux, but eventually put it on hold because of a new project that caught my interest and the lack of support at the time for the Dune 2 clones (or at least mine ;) )

I've learned a lot since I left, and I'm ready to start a new project. After a lot of thinking, I've decided to continue the Redux series, with a slight twist. Instead of it being a Dune 2 game, it will just have a Dune 2 mod for it. I'll make sure the coding allows for at least that mod to fully function, and then start adding extra features for other mods. Modding will be open to anyone, and I will work with modders to handle requests for added features or changes. I also can help get you started on the 3d graphics modelling, if you need help making the unit animations (note: the game will be in 2d). This time I'm not waiting until the game is almost done to announce it, so anyone who wants to help with the develpment of this game is welcome to. Any ideas you guys might have on how to make Redux better will be appreciated :)

This will be my fourth RTS game. For now we'll just call it Redux 3.0.

Most of this is standard stuff, but anyways, here are the planned features so far:

- Multiple resolutions. Whatever you can handle. With scrolling, I can go up to 2048x1536 on my laptop, so that should be good for testing.

- Multiplayer, coded from the ground up. Hopefully eventually a dedicated server with a lobby for game searching and hosting.

- Updated graphics engine. Vastly increased animation and effects. I hope to be at least at par with the other clones, although it looks like that will be a nice challenge :) . Overall, the engine should amount to at least C&C Gold levels.

- New audio system, allowing more sounds to exist and multiple sounds heard together. New mp3-quality music playback. Listen to new audio tracks, or import your own music into the game.

- Fully functioning aircraft, with 32 degrees of free movement. Much of this work will be done very easily due to my last project :D

- Mod compatible engine, almost all art, audio and game data should be changable. I'll probably write an extra editor if not an in-game one.

- No source code, so dont ask :P

As far as game modes go, I'm not sure yet, although it would be nice to have a large galactic war setup similar to what they had for Total Annihilation when that game was popular (Anyone remember BoneYards?)

We can make different tilesets for the different planets, and I can make this all modable too, so that your game doesnt have to take place in space, it can be different territories of land, or whatever your game needs.

Any comments or questions?

it's gunna be hard to get near Stefan's level again ( nice work :) ), but i'm amazed at how well the coding is coming along now. i'm flying through routines that i used to get stuck on for days.

i'll post progress updates here until i get a website going (probably not until i have something to take screenshots of).

currently working on units and pathfinding.

I got pretty far on this version of Redux, but eventually put it on hold because of a new project that caught my interest and the lack of support at the time for the Dune 2 clones (or at least mine ;) )

I guess that is because all the clones are too similar, and none of them has yet reached a state where it would be as playable or polished as the original.  It seems as though the clones seldom try to improve on dune2, the C&C-style infantry of TonyD's clone being a notable exception.  But still I'd rather play the original dune2 again than play the same missions in TonyD's clone, maybe just because dune2 is much more atmospheric with its stylish UI and "cinematic" mission descriptions.

- Fully functioning aircraft, with 32 degrees of free movement. Much of this work will be done very easily due to my last project :D

Now here's an idea for improving on the old dune2 concept:  It always annoyed me how the AI can drop units behind my base with carryalls, while my carryalls only carry the harvesters (and even that without my control).  I don't think it would be too bad for the game balance if the player had direct control over carryalls.  There could even be some nuances, like very big and powerful units like devastators being too heavy to be carried.  Or maybe just infantry and trikes/quads, to give those some more tactical importance.

It also couldn't hurt if the remakes stole some ideas from Westwood's own sequels to dune2.  Why not have stealth fremen, special flak infantry or sardaukar that are actually different from the ordinary units in a dune2-like game?

Some of the dune2 clones have done a good job of improving the ergonomics of the UI, but I don't think that alone justifies a new game. I think those so-called clones would do good to have some subtle but noticable innovations in the gameplay as well.

that carryall idea would work great. if the defender doesn't have the proper defenses up, then you'll be able to land some units at a side of his base that is less protected. if he does have the right defenses, you're risking losing some expensive stuff very easily. you should be able to just select the units, press a button and click where you want them to move to, and the carryalls will take care of it. as mentioned in previous discusions, it would be nice for the carryalls to have settings controlling their behavior, like whether they pickup damaged units and bring them to the repair bay. i also want to have an option to have carryalls drop in reinforcements for players who are losing the battle (this is similar to the reinforcements in dune 2, so it'd be nice to include it)

this is just one of the many areas that needs to be fully designed, keep the ideas coming :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can you take multiple things into consideration?

I haven't played previous versions of Redux but after my exams finish in June I'll have loads of free time so I'll try then, but here are some ideas: A playable Imperial side, controllable Fremen and different types of them and a thumper infantry like in Dune2000.

an imperial side has been a standard feature in the redux games, but the fremen would be a nice addition. it looks like the units will color blended for whatever house you're using. you can choose not to do it this way, but if u do u can add more sides, and allow units to be built by other houses (harkonnen building sonic tanks by capturing atriedes heavy factory and ix research center for example). considering multiplayer limitations, i'd say the most colors that should be used are 8. it will probably be a challenge to get even an 8 player LAN game to be mostly lag-free.

as for thumpers, hehe i dont think sandworms ever even made it into the redux games. i'll definitally have to give that aspect more attention

• 3 weeks later...

Great news Neonext. Thanks for the compliment ;)

Yes, i also find it hard to find the 'Dune 2' thing. I have added a lot of new features and you can't compare the version you can download with the one i have here now, but still i am not satisfied. I should release it someday soon to show you how far i am now. But it is still not finished.

Imitating the graphics help, the AI being a bit smarter compared to Dune 2. But also that marks Dune 2... always the 'storm the front' thingy ;)

Only when i enjoy playing my game without trouble and such, i think its handy to expand things like to multi-player and add new features in. It is pretty tough to add new features and then still keep the game balanced and Dune 2 like.

i'm really paying attention to details this time. already with little touches, the game has more atmoshere than any of my other ones. i'm not going to be releasing this as a dune 2 game tho (dune 2 will be a mod added later, hopefully someone can help with this?). it's going to be a modern day themed rts. lots of metal and tech kind of interface things. i'm going to make the interface very modable too tho, so it should be able to made look all dune-ish (things like deciding what side the side bar is, the graphics and sounds of course, and optional buttons)

i dont want to give away everything either... i wouldnt be surprised if we end up having some of the same added features, it will be interesting to see how these turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

i have revamped my old redux site.

it's very simple now, i just wanted to get it up as quickly as possible.

i wont have normal screen shots on it for awhile, and when i do i'll let everyone know here.

other than that, the site will be where i display how far along the game is coming along, so if you're interested in that, keep checking the progress page on the site

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/dune2redux/

Looks nice, but your host is bad. :( It keeps opening a thingy on the left hand side of the page and the first ad I saw was a woman talking to me about the University of Pheonix Online.

about the sidebar

Tripod has millions of members who build sites about every conceivable topic. Tripod Sidebar is a tool for helping people find other Tripod member sites similar to the one they're viewing. When a visitor browses to a Tripod member site, we check our database. If similar sites exist, the Sidebar opens up, and those sites are listed.

Tripod Sidebar helps visitors to find what they're looking for, while helping Tripod members get more traffic to their sites.

To navigate to the similar sites, just click the links in the Sidebar pane. (The site you're on is always highlighted so you'll know where you are.)

To find similar sites for one of the results, use the "Refresh Results" button when you're on that member site.

To close the Sidebar, simply click the "x" in the upper corner of the Sidebar pane.

Annoying. :(

• 3 weeks later...

work is progressing much more rapidly than expected.

this is already by far the best game i've ever written,

and i'm only a quarter of the way done with it.

i was thinking of releasing a movie of the gameplay

rather than screenshots, because u just dont get the sense

of action from the screens.

anyone have any suggestions on free programs i can use to

capture the gameplay on the screen and save it as a video?