WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF JESUS RETURNED?

My theory is that we have Jesus locked up in a mental hospital, on ten different anti-psychotics, right now.

(This, of course, is a joke intended to answer your question. Please do not construe this as a belief in Jesus.)

In a society like ours, what would be the reaction if someone from bristol, UK claimed themselves to be the son of god: jesus? Would we shun him out? or would we welcome him as our risen saviour?

Read up about Sung Yung Moon.  This is old news

Fuck sake emprworm, the guy was trying to start a discussion.  It wasn't a question designed for a solid answer, it is all about political belief.  Lighten up a bit!

Personally, if Jesus came back, he would be killed.  Infact, it would eventually start another Israel-Philistine war.

when jesus comes back it will be different... it will be post-rapture... and when he comes back to the world it will be with force i presume... he wont be passive like he was in the new testament... i believe the bible describes him as a "lion" and "ruler" ... so he wont be killed or imprisoned in a mental ward.

When he comes back i imagine all the "sillyness" and "cracking jokes" will be over ...

Well, Jesus' teachings, if you look at the "sharing is caring" and "love everyone" bits...

Nevermind.

What would happen? The apocalypse. Which is interesting, since both the Bible and the rational individual would concur on that point. More people would probably believe in God, but this would not so much be faith as it would be acceptance of a rational fact and an overwhelming urge to "get into heaven". Those who believed in Jesus before his return on pure faith would be vindicated, I suppose. However, what would happen politically and economically is no matter. If this was the real Jesus, economics and politics won't be lasting for much longer anyway.

EWS; What did I say about tolerance? He wasn't being purposefully offensive, his statement may have been out of place, but there is no need to police someone for such a small infraction.

It's more a political system wherby the church rules everything. *Shudders* Give me nightmares, that would.

If he were a fake, he would be ignored or locked up.

If he were real (and this is making a lot of assumptions, including that there is any truth in Christianity at all), then there would be chaos, rioting, death... Unless of course nobody can act against him in which case it would all be directed at each other.

It's never going to happen.

It is simple for many who believe, these are my own opinions on the words of the bible, but many have the same idea of how this will work.

Jesus will come back as wrath incarnate. People will run for cover hopelessly, and he will exterminate every single living human that doesnt believe in him. It is pretty simple. Can you sugar coat it? no you cant. I believe in the rapture happening before the "tribulation". There are many verses that say the christians will not have to go through the suffering of what will be.

The anti christ will appear as a great and bonevolent ruler, and indeed he will be, but in the last 3 years this will change, becoming one of few that has been satan possessed, he will no longer control himself. Satan knows that he is about to lose so he will try to destroy every single hebrew that lives on the planet, including the 144000 jews that are protected by the lord. He wants to destroy the jews because God promised that the jews would not only live on, but have a great nation that will take almost all of the middle east.

Christ will come in time and destroy all mankind, good or evil in the eyes of humanity. It will be horrible, and is sad for me to think of right now, but I wont lie about what I think is said in the bible.

Jesus specifically said that no one knows when the Apocalypse will happen, except for God Himself.

So anyone claiming to know when Jesus will return is a fraud (if Christianity is wrong, Jesus won't return; if Christianity is right, then the guy can't possibly know when Jesus will return).

There is one thing that I've always been wondering about, though...

Mankind is on the verge of spreading beyond the boundaries of Earth. It's very likely that we will have permanent settlements on the Moon within the next 30 years. So what will happen to our space colonies during the Apocalypse? Perhaps they also have a role in it?

good question edric, I have often thought of that, and yeah what the heck would happen? I can only come up with baseless conclusions. I was wondering what you think of this. Since There will be extreme attacks from space by meteors and comets, could that be a sign that the entire solar system will be "torn apart" so to speak? It says that in the last times the entire universe will grieve, and that the solar system will suffer. This will be a reckoning beyond belief, that is all I know, and it wouldnt suprise me if the entire universe will suffer during this time. The great battle will be at it's height, and the entire population of fallen angels will be thrown down to earth, and battles will rage else where, so think that it might be in the heavens as well as on earth?

also you are right, anybody who predicts the end of this age is foolish. the verse has been used a lot because well it hits the point of the matter. "You will not know the day or the hour, but you will know the signs of the times". We as christians always need to be aware and ready of his coming, and even during the times of Paul, the time of the Lord was close at hand, the bible translates on this issue that it is always "close at hand", meaning that it could happen at any time, not on any fixed date we know of.

Edric, the apocalypse would have to be an event that would encompass all of humanity. So, with in-system colonies, a single supernova sould be enough to destroy them. However, if we, by some miracle, achieve out-system colonies or FTL travel, a large nearby blackhole, or some other galaxy-wide catastrophe would have to occur.

Jesus is perfect, therefore he will be a perfect ruler, which means that there will be perfect freedom. There will be no murder, as it will be prevented before hand, and crimes will be dealt with swiftly. There will be no needs for a court system, though men will arbitrate under God's command, because God will not throw off humanity from governing. It will just be a perfect system.

Still though many will revolt after the thousand years of perfect rule, and it will be a sign that even if the environment is perfect, people will still falter.

This is my interpritation of the bible and what it says on this matter. what do you who believe think?

Is what Gunwounds is saying:

true, according to someone other than him? I mean, it sounds like Jesus is going to be a cruel, theocratic dictator and the Antichrist is going to be a benevolent leader of men.

The idea that Jesus would come back to wipe out everyone who opposed him and then establish a theocracy always bothered me deeply. I can think of a handful of men who have taken this course of action, or variants thereon, and none of them are on my Favorite People list...

well... think of it like this Dan.... remember when jesus grabbed a whip and whipped the merchants in the temple... and yelled "This is my Father's House" .. and he turned over tables and gave everyone a good thrashing.... i tihnk it will be like that when he comes back.... only on a larger scale....

and the reason he is allowed to do so is because

Jesus is perfect, therefore he will be a perfect ruler, which means that there will be perfect freedom. There will be no murder, as it will be prevented before hand, and crimes will be dealt with swiftly. There will be no needs for a court system, though men will arbitrate under God's command, because God will not throw off humanity from governing. It will just be a perfect system.

Still though many will revolt after the thousand years of perfect rule, and it will be a sign that even if the environment is perfect, people will still falter.

This is my interpritation of the bible and what it says on this matter. what do you who believe think?

what always gets me is what is gonna happen after revelations?.... once the 1000 yr rule is over and everyone has been judged and seperated... and the earth is made new.... and we inhabit it with glorified bodies.... what in the world is gonna happen next?

Revelations kinda closes the curtain right there.... and does not speak any further...

what do you guys (people who believe this of course) think will happen ? TMA what does your dad say?  ??? ;)

Read the Chronicles of Narnia. The last book in the series, I feel, is an accurate, if not exact, representating of what might happen during and after the Revelations.

I find the Chronicles of Narnia to be an especially interesting religious work, since C. S. Lewis was a staunch atheist who, in his efforts to disprove God, actually proved his own faith in God, and then became a devout Christian.