? About C&C Tiberian Sun Modem

crazArra

Hello,

I am new to this board and i have a question. hopefully someone has the knowledge to refer to this.

My friend and I play C & C Tiberian Sun V 1.08 over a modem. we want to try and ally but it never works. the ally keys are the same too. we put at least 1 AI player each time we play, but still the alliance thing never works. can someone please explain to me how, during the game, we can ally our forces? I remember you were supposed to click on one of his forces and press "A" but thats not currently working. Thank You in Advance

Can you ally with the AI player? Perhaps you can't ally with the only other human player to keep thing balanced or something...I'll check the manual.

The manual says you'll have to select a unit of the player you want to ally with, then press A, as you did. Then, the other player must do the same with one of your units.

You should be able to ally with the human player vs. the only AI player. That should not be the problem.

But like NHJ said, make sure you both ally each other. Also make sure you didn't alter the Ally key (check in the options menu for Tiberian Sun).

• 2 weeks later...

Yer I had the same problem. Turns out you can't ally with human or AI players over a serial or modem connection in the orginal Tiberian Sun, just over a IPX network.

They 'fixed' this in the expansion Firestorm. You can ally with anyone in that version of the game, over IPX, Serial or Modem.

If you are too cheap to buy the expansion, you can just meet up on some online gaming service which allows IPX over TCP/IP (internet) gaming (errr, sorry, no examples at hand, but I'm sure someone will know one).

If you want to use "A" key in game you must check "Alliances allowed" before starting the game. However like above poster said this option is not available when playing Serial or Modem (I myself tested only with Serial) but it is available when playing Network or Internet. Westwood just didn't thought about cooperative (comp stomp) games way back.

Didn't know about Firestorm. Thanks for info.