Warhammer 40k:Dawn of War *pic heavy*

thomas

• 3 weeks later...

their reviews suck, all of em do because they have so many errors about the story and everything, yet they act like they are friggin warhammer historians. >:(

and it's a chainsword, not a "powersaw". Why do they bitch about CC units getting cut down by ranged units? that's how it is in the game, to avoid this you stick em in a rhino (or any other APC) and rush em in to the enemies doorstep.

it's a good preview though

Well, I can see that I need to read up on the Warhammer universe because I never even heard of Warhammer until I saw this game previewed.  It looks awesome, though, and I really like how FINALLY an RTS creator sees how ridiculous it is that ten soldiers with regular machine guns can actually kill a tank (C&C Generals and Red Alert 2 come to mind).

Well, here're my contributions to the 'pic-heavy' part of the thread.  These are actual shots from the demo, showing my 'Delta Force' troops in action:

*relic00000: scout/snipers secure a critical point under covering fire from marines.

*relic00001: two marine squads, sporting four heavy bolters and as many missile launchers between them, lay waste to the OPFOR stronghold

*delta-notest: 64x64 24-bit uncompressed .tga file to be placed in the 'Badges' subdirectory[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

There's a way I can import badges and banners to my armies colours, like HW2?

Yes, there is - in fact, DoW and HW2 share the same specifications for custom badges - they have to be 64x64 24-bit uncompressed .tga files, placed in the 'Badges' subdirectory - so all your HW2 badges can be imported into DoW, no sweat.  And as you probably know, there are several threads in the Relic forums about HW2 badges...

And here're some more screenshots:

*Delta attack - squad of marines using the 'Delta Force' color scheme showing intelligence by using fire as an aid to the attack (Sun Tzu 12:13)

*UBCS at work - yep, that infamous corporation's clean-up crew... wouldn't be so out of place if Tyranids were in the game, but still cool

*Dreadnought toss - you know that's gonna leave a mark...

*Swing for the fences - Mantis Clan (a faction from Legend of the Five Rings) force commander doing exactly that.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Well, I finally got to see the Khaine 'soldier-kabob' move...

Yes, the game has dawned on stores everywhere; here's my first screen from it: a Sardaukar force commander and his squad watching ortillery lay waste to a Chaos stronghold.

"Death from above", indeed.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

On a 1v1 map, a brave but ultimately doomed Toxo-Viper commander tries to hold the line against overwhelming numbers of Bene Tleilax - including their lord (harder AI).  Especially unfortuitous, given that 'assassinate' is one of the victory criteria in this skirmish.

Bene Tleilax badge, as well as one for the Sardaukar, included gratis.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]