Why did Westwood give haarkonnen such lousy things

Guest Mart_1

Guest Mart_1

Harkonnen stink in emperor and dune2k.

WHY GOD WHY????

give them some cool stuff like the sonictank and saboture

NOW I SAY!!

Guest Mithrandir

Really I don't see why the harkos suck.  They have brute force, and like Davo said, check out the flame tank!  Pretty phat, if you ask me! :)  The devastators aren't that bad either!

I agree Mithrandir. The Harks brute force is (for Dune 2 or Dune 2000) or will be (for Emperor ... I guess) was cool for those days where you didn't want to overly micromanage your battles.

http://www.dune2k.com/images/emperor/units/harkonnen/H-Devastator.jpg

Hehe, like the flame tank, not subtle ;D

... which I think is the reason why Mart_1 says they have no "cool stuff".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Harkonnen forces are not bad at all. They have very strong, unique units (Devastator is a good example since it has two powerful plasma guns, anti-air missiles, and a real deadly self-destruct feature which creates an nuclear explosion). While the Harkonnen may not have advance technologies like the other houses, it easily makes up for that with strong and just plain evil units like for example the Buzzsaw. Remember the Buzzsaw unit can rip up opponent's spice fields and any unlucky infantry units as well. Harkonnen are also have good range units like the Missle Tank, which launch salvos of Missles at other ground and airborne units, and (one of my personal favorite) the Irkvine Catapult, which can launch flammable globs of poison which can effect any units which step over it (and can be use in clever strategies involving other Harkonnen units like the Flame Tank and Flamethrower Infantry). I would beware of the Harkonnen units if I were you.

• 4 months later...

Losing an orni for a missile tank is not a brilliant tradeoff, especially given the initial investment of the other 4 ornis.

Use Sardaukar or kindjal against missile (and assault) tanks, and Mogooses or laser tanks against all other HK units ank you'll be fine. Gunships are only a problem for the ordos (AA mines are much worse than AA Drones); make sure your APC army is in good nick. The HK infantry are easily seen off with sufficient snipers, mortars or fremen Warriors (beware flamers need two hits from snipers). End of story.

Allright, I agree.

All houses, if used properly, are pretty much equal. And yes, I am not exactly brilliant at using the HK.

But the HK are just boring. There's only so much you can do with them, and strong they may be, they have little scope for variety of interesting tactical opportunities. What you can do with HK, you can do with other houses - just in a different way; plus the AT and OR have more specific ones.

Guest Genl. Falconius

The only Harkonnen unit i don't like at all is the buzzsaw. It seem impractical. i would also have liked the Devastator more if it was a tank. But i'm more irritated by the way Westwood did the Atreides!(i am Atreides) You have this rather cool looking fighter unit that should have been called something like Arrow Fighter but it is called drone... and your main tank units look like chickens with cannons straped to their backs and flags sticking out of their... rearward... section...

My oppinion of Emperor: It is alright -> but ->

For its time, Dune2 was a masterpiece. For its time Dune Emperor is mediocre. i doubt if Westwood will produce another masterpiece since they seem to have learnt so little from the only one they ever made.

falco2.jpg

Hey Falconius you want your old user account back?

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/YaBB.pl?board=&action=viewprofile&username=fritz

Keep in mind you will need to request the password since it changed when we moved to the new forums.

As for Dune II it was a great game for its time, you can't really compare it to games made today.

OK, back again. Thanks Gobalopper. (flexing fingers for serious typing).

My oppinion of Emperor: It is alright -> but ->

For its time, Dune2 was a masterpiece. For its time Dune Emperor is mediocre.

Dune2 was released in 1992. Next year it will be 10 years old. It came out at the time when i was still in primary school and some of you were clearly still babies. In some ways it still is superior to its desendants -> for example in emperor if your Launcher is damaged and you want a carryall to retrieve it from the line of fire and repair it you are in for a huge hassle. In fact, repair bays don't even exist and only Atreides have a repair unit. In Dune2 it was all automated right up to the carryall bringing the repaired unit back to the action. And how can you expect a near decade old game to have a comparable interface to current games?!

But aside from all that -> my previous message was mostly about how the Houses was done by Westwood.

Never mind me too much though -> i always like to hear anyone's oppinion and speak my mind. Emperor is not all bad really. It does seem to have vast MOD potential. i'm just waiting for Westwood to let us in on how to add new grahpics like they did with their other games. But even then i'll have to see...

BTW, which game do you guys consider to be the best RTS on the market today?

In my oppinion it must be Sudden Strike.

If you mean RTS games that have come out on the market since around the time of Emperor, it's hard to say. Emperor is the only one I wanted to play. (Just remember: not all games hit stores in South Africa (or Africa, for that matter).)

I do miss the thing where your Carryalls would take your units to the repair building (whatever it was called) automatically. :( Dune 2 was a masterpiece, and a hit like that rarely comes along.

I think Westwood were testing out their game engine when they made Dune 2000. I don't think they put a lot of effort into it. Their main focus then was TS.

Emperor is good. I wouldn't say it's the best strategy game ever made, but its got a lot more depth than Dune 2000. I think Westwood should have taken a little more risks with Emperor than they did. Yes, their formula is tried and tested, and fans love it, but soon even the most devoted fan is going to get a bit tired of it.

As long as WW can change the format enough over time, they can keep fans interested. I mean, look at the way the control in emperor is different (I didn't say it was superior - that's debatable) to DII. If they can improve upon the system a bit more than just making the ConYard less critical (MCVs are cheaper and more accessible) in each of their games, then they'll keep selling. Plus, each new game needs a slightly different, and therefore interesting, way of playing it.